a good day

Author
TRAVI42
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/08 20:23:23 (permalink)

a good day

had an awsome day on monday, took a rookie out for his first steelhead fishing trip, and we even got into some fish.
started out kinda low figured id check out the latest piece of river ive learned and it pay'd off pretty good. even though i learned this water at 1800, i wanted to see it at 350 flows.
on my third cast my float goes under woohoo "fish on!" i sing out excited, i look down at my buddy(not the rookie) and he gets a grin and sings out" DOUBLES!! right on i say. first time ever for us. the rookie is stoked with the fish we just caught and cant wait till he can get into one.
well i took him up to a nice little seam and i was putting on another sac or fiddling with something when i sense some pannic and hear a reel screeming. brett(the rookie) is shocked at whatever is on the other end of his line and has the heart pounding panic of a nice steelhead (his first remember) going through veins. i snapped a shot of him fighting it and then bob and i talk him through landing it. he was so jazzed. too bad he didnt become a member( like i told him too the nite before) he could have bannered a nice fish. i landed two nice steelhead and a sm brown there. but also lost two more nice steelies there. as well as brett loosing another nice fish.
now my buddy bob wants to check out some other holes so i figured ok if you want sounds cool, we already had a great morning here, lets do it. (we can always come back i figure) so we take off and end up fishing tressel pool from the n. side. again about three casts into it im into a nice jumping steelie again.... land it and banner it. then it dies and we hit another spot...ellis cove. it almost looked like salmon season watching the people hunting and stalking for the fish. i seen two steelies hidding where nobody could cast for them so i just sat down and watched them for a few min. tried to get a pic of one, but it didnt come out. so no fish there for us. next i wanted to go down low in the river so hit the black hole. bob and i were fishing the fast water that comes into the hole i did get a nice 14 incher there that leaped like a tarpon a few times. was a pretty little rainbow. then brett and i make our way down to the little black, never making it there, we fished the tails and seams of the pools on the way down. not hitting any but relaxing and talking about a good day we had. he really dug it and i think hell be up for steelheading again. bob said he got into a fish shortly after we headed down, but he lost it at the bank.
tried an underwater pic as well but didnt get all of the fish but i figured id share.  hope the pics work here...good luck fishing all,  travis

Attached Thumbnails
[/link]  [link=http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3261&d=1178641672]  [/link]  [link=http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3263&d=1178641748]  [/link]  

[link=http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3265&d=1178641798]
 [/link]  [link=http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3267&d=1178642098]

10 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: a good day 2007/05/08 20:48:43 (permalink)
    Travi42-
    Thanks for bringing that great report over. Thought that tounge tied smiley looked familiar. LOL
    Maybe this Summer, or Fall you can teach me how you do it.

Lyrical
    TRAVI42
    New Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/08 20:54:13 (permalink)
    seriously i need to see when my next days off are.  i have to move, but i can do that in a day...lol...id give one more trip a go if you were interested.  just a warning,  that was a great day for me,  im normally not so lucky.  good luck fishing,  travis
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/08 22:42:21 (permalink)
    Trav-
    No I can't. Elbow is still not healed well enough. Believe me- if it were humanly possible for me to be up there since they dropped the level I'd have been there. I'm praying for some Skamania action a little later.
    I want to skate some dry flies. I'd rather do it for Atlantics in Newfoundland, but a big Skamania is nothing to sneeze at either. May follow up on Bud---'s words & fish S---- S---- when my arm gets back into fighting shape.
    Thanks for the offer. Maybe this fall there will be a goon fest. Would be great. Alot of guys I want to meet.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    TRAVI42
    New Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/08 22:53:30 (permalink)
    skating flyies is something i just love to do.  dont forget the other salmon run on the sr either.....nothing better then catching a fish with a "hitched" fly,and you dont have to go to Newfoundland to do it either talk to ya later,  travis
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/09 18:34:09 (permalink)
    I've never really done it, but know how the "Portland hitch" came to be.
    A long story short is people left gut loop eyed hooks behind for the locals in Portland. I believe the ones who left them behind were primarily millitary personel (officers). When the loops wore with age, or broke they tied the "itch" because there was no more eye. The rest is history.
    This is what I've read in Lee Wulff's books anyhow.
    Thanks again Trav- I'll contact you when I'm back in casting shape.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    TRAVI42
    New Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/09 23:14:55 (permalink)
    yea thats what i read as well.  i got to try it and still do.  only one follower when i did in in the gaspe'.  but really neat to watch,  travis
    Foxfire
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: a good day 2007/05/10 19:43:08 (permalink)
    I also like skating flies in the summer. Strikes are awesome. Works real real well when a large caddis hatch is occuring. Good news to hear
    TRAVI42
    New Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/10 23:43:56 (permalink)
    any of you guys familar with the sr summer runs?? i think the atlantics come up in july.  ill have to do some research.  later gang,  travis
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: a good day 2007/05/11 00:30:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TRAVI42

any of you guys familar with the sr summer runs?? i think the atlantics come up in july.  ill have to do some research.  later gang,  travis

There are some in the river now- I've heard of a few caught along with some 15-20lb skams. Shhhhhhh
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: a good day 2007/05/11 02:39:56 (permalink)
    Jeff you know how to hurt me deep.
    BTW- what do you think the best method is for winding dry fly hackle? I'm asking because of your schooling.
    Been meaning to ask, and I'm needing to tie some up. Would like to know what they teach.
    Shoot me a pm if you get a chance. Have a safe one and come home in one piece,
    Salmo

Lyrical
    Jump to: