braided fishing lines.

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/15 09:01:46 (permalink)

braided fishing lines.

i picked up a spool of power pro (10/2) to use for steelhead fishing (on a spinning reel).  i had heard or read (maybe here) that by using braids, fly line flotant can be used on these lines to keep them up and easier to mend.  is this true?  i plan to use a flourcarbon leader at the end.  any help will be appreciated.
post edited by rapala11 - 2008/07/15 09:02:30

7 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/15 14:38:18 (permalink)
    In my personally experiance.....

Braid will cause you a lot more break offs. So you better be using a pretty noodley noodle rod! :)

No stretch lines are not really designed for small tippets.

But to answer your question....
    Not sure about the flotant, but braids (even PP) absorbs water, plus the small diameter makes it sink much faster than mono.

My advise (take it with a grain) is to stick with your mono for the cricks!

There's a time and place for everything, and I believe that braids aren't for the steelheader!
    You'll have a helluva time with wind knots from pitching the really light stuff, too!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/15 17:08:06 (permalink)
    I believe some or maybe all off the braids float on their own if there no weight on the line The floatant may help keep the line from freezing up so quick when it gets cold.

I switched over to braid about 5 years ago for steelhead and have no plans on going back. I put 50 yards of 10 pound test on then over mono backing and i still am using the same line. Once it freezes though it is time to put the braid away till spring or wait till the day warms up. It will freeze up much faster than mono.

I always use an indicator with the braid and till i started using something like the drennans i did get tangles with the flouro leader and the small dink floats. The heavier weight of the small drennans seems to have solved that problem.

Try it for a week and see which one you prefer. I'm sure there are fans of both ways and either one will work.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/16 00:02:17 (permalink)
    you guys talked me out of it.  thanks.  i read where you cannot use a clinch knot and my fingers are so stiff that i don't think i can tie a uni-knot.    always liked tirlene xl better.  thanks again. 

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/16 09:58:49 (permalink)
    i use braid now and have been using the same for 3 years ive used on salmon and if you have a stiff rod and 12 or 14lb test they can break it off  so use 20lb i use 20 lb on the line counters have to get use to the depth  difference  but you dont tell your buddy running mono to run the same ft out you will be off by as much as 10ft  but still use them
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/16 13:56:01 (permalink)
    Rap - If you're having trouble tying knots look into buying a knot tyer. I bought  one at the Harrisburg show several years ago because my knots were slipping. It's faster & easier, plus you can learn to join two lines together, etc. Once had line break - grabbed it - retied (tyer on loop on vest) and caught the fish! It's a brass & stainless steel unit. Usually you can find them in Cabelas or Gander MT fly tying sections!
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/16 14:09:09 (permalink)
    I have been using fireline as my main line on my noodle rods for 2 years now (6 or 8lb). I do lather mine up every night before with some dry fly floatant wax to keep it on top some, but mainly to allow water to fall off easier and not get a frozen spool of line or ice cubes on my line :). I don't know the names of knots very well, but I always tie on a 3.5-6lb leader depending on the conditions. I dont think I have a fish break off last year at all to be honest.

Here is the knot I use, I guess its a double uni-knot (just make sure you wet you line before cinching to reduce friction between the braid and floro) The unitknot is pretty easy using two different types of line, and especially since the fireline can be bent into place...do the fireline side first, and it is a lto easier.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: braided fishing lines. 2008/07/16 23:59:11 (permalink)
    jon, i forgot but i do have a couple.  will dig them out and practice.  tommy, i have broke six fingers over the years playing ball and the darned things get stiff now.  guess i am getting on down that road.  appreciate the input from everyone.

Jump to: