latest on Beaver Run

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/07 12:12:42 (permalink)

latest on Beaver Run

At the meeting of the Westm'd County Sportsmans league we discussed the progress being made on this project. We now have approx. 1500 names on the petitions & more are still out.almost everyone we talked to was in favor of opening it . Mike Reese,who is running for County Comm. on the Republican ticket,said he would support opening it as long as there were no safety problems in doing so.he also said that he would work with us to get this done.WE NEED YOUR HELP. this thurs., May 10th at 10 am at the commisioners meeting at the county court house,we need some one to ask each Comm. what his view is on this matter, for the record. I will be in the hospital & unable to make it,but since we are near the primary election we need to remind these gentlemen that we vote & that this is important to us.    IF NOT NOW, WHEN -IF NOT YOU, WHO ????       SAM

4 Replies Related Threads

JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: latest on Beaver Run 2007/05/07 13:22:13 (permalink)
    I have heard alot about this but havn't heard much detail about the proposal.  Much of beaver run is surrounded by woods, where would the proposed parking be?  There is already somewhat of a litter problem what is proposed to remedy that?  Would boats be permitted, if not motor boats then row boats?  I'm sure there is alot more I can't think of at the moment.  If its opened I think these things need to be planned and analyzed before it is, maybe they already have been I just havnt heard anything about it.

EyeFish2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: latest on Beaver Run 2007/05/08 07:05:05 (permalink)
    The proposal calls for fishing south of Rt. 286.  Sure the Beav is surrounded by woods, but it's also surrounded by a crap load of ATV trails and roads to access their dozens of gas wells.  Don't let anybody tell you that there isn't anywhere to fish there, it would just be a lie.  The physical location of the parking lots would have to be agreed upon between the PFBC and the MAWC.  One obvious place that comes to mind is that huge area that is already cleared and leveled at the 286 bridge.  There's another area that could be expanded upon to fit more vehicles down by Trees Mills.    At Slickville, it wouldn't take much to open up an area next to that bridge either.  As for the litter........ I am so tired of hearing about people not wanting to open an area to fishing because of littering fears.  The reality is that there will be some litter.  BUT, there are plenty of groups that want to help in adopting the lake and keep it clean.  I would even be willing to come and pick up litter on a scheduled basis.  One thing is for sure, the Quemahoning Dam is a beautiful lake and the PFBC is down there all the time now that it is opened to the public.  This resulted in a considerable decrease in litter.  I guess people got tired of paying fines.  As for boats........ sure it would be nice.   But lets not go there right now.  We fishermen need to show the MAWC and the PFBC that we can be good stewards of this resource before they would even consider us taking out boats out there.  Make that call to your county commissioners and local legislator/senator and lets get this thing moving.  I heard that this is becoming a topic in the commissioners office right now.  If we want this bad enough, and it's an election issue, we can get 'er done.
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: latest on Beaver Run 2007/05/08 08:33:34 (permalink)
    I am familair with all the locations you mentioned ( I live in the area).  I know some have used litter as a reason not to open it, I'm not saying that but it can't be over looked as you said.  There is alot of litter in and around the water right now.  If it is open we should have volunteers come and clean up before the opening day tell everyone its a chance to check out the lake before it opens....just bring a couple plastic bags and fill them up.

Just out of curiousity why just south of 286?  why not all of it or just North of it?  I'm just curious why the southern portion has only been looked at to be open.
    post edited by JMZ82 - 2007/05/08 08:35:19
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: latest on Beaver Run 2007/05/08 09:24:56 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if I can make the meeting but did just call the commissioners office, mentioned that I called about a month ago to show support for this and wanted to know if they have taken a stance on this yet.

I live about an hour from the Beav but would love to come and help on an organized cleanup to open it and for future cleanups.

The northern portion of the lake will remain closed to serve as  nursery water and probably to keep folks away from the dam.

Go to the meeting, make a phone call to the commissioners, offer a hand to clean up... Do Something if you want to see this happen!
    Jump to: