Time to night fish!

Author
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/10 10:56:07 (permalink)

Time to night fish!

I love when the big flies hatch. Last night at midnight in Parkway Center Mall several of these were flying around the lights outside. I managed to get one to land on my hand. (Not hard with Mayflies around lights: they're always looking for something to land on, you just need to give it to them.)

I'm trying to identify the species and the closest I've found is this Hex. One difference is that in the flies I found, the dorsal patterning was the same color, but clearly divided stripes instead of a connected row. Each segment had its own stripe. The abdomen, legs (which had no markings), and "tails" were the same color, which matched the one in the link, the thorax had just a touch of light brown between the leg joints, and the wings were veiny but clear. The tails are almost the exact same length as the body.

This would be an awesome time to fish around the Point area at night. Aside from the White Fly hatch I don't know a better time to get surprised by big fish and unusual species on a dry fly. Smallies and Walleyes are almost a given.

post edited by luvinbluegills - 2008/07/10 10:57:59

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish

3 Replies Related Threads

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Time to night fish! 2008/07/10 11:36:16 (permalink)
    Luvin,

It looks and sounds like the Hex. This is the time of year when you start to see them. The first Hex's started to come off Skaneateles Lake this week.

Like you said, the tail is as long as the body, there is an off-brown color on the thorax between the legs, yellowish tint to the wings and legs, the two tails are a tannish color. I did notice a little black barring on the front pair of legs.

I still can't get over the size of them. I'm going to try and get out tomorrow night to fish the hatch. I saw most of them hatch right before dark.

Best,
    Mike
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Time to night fish! 2008/07/30 12:20:10 (permalink)
    There was one of those on my car a couple weeks ago.  I left my house to leave for work and it was hanging out on the back window.  Sadly there were no walleye or smallmouth present...  Figures.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Time to night fish! 2008/07/30 16:59:40 (permalink)
    It is the hex.  They have been coming off the allegheny river now for a little over 3 weeks.  Rite at dusk until late.  When I was out friday at 1:30am they were still coming off in big numbers and mooneyes were crushing them everywhere.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: