LockedI saw a donkey at the stream today!

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/06 21:20:17 (permalink)

I saw a donkey at the stream today!

Well that was just nice terminology on a family fishing board ... this guy was a real ###. I took my boys fishing today for my youngest son's B-day(turned 6 today). We caught a few fish (4 for each of my boys). My youngest boy wanted a palamino bad ... his b-day so we tried like heck. Had the one on and it came out of the water and threw the hook like a dang bass!

Well I told my oldest boy we had to go and to put his final trout on the stringer that was in the next hole up (couldn't see it though due to brush). He came back and said they were gone but 3 lay dead on the ground.

I asked the people that I had seen twice earlier if they had seen anyone with 2 orange and green stringers. All said no. I asked a nearby kid and he said ... yeah ... the people I had just asked took them! I pretty much came unglued. It got a little ugly but no cussing or physical stuff. I got the stringers back but not the fish (except the 3 on the bank).

The little guy was awfully proud of those fish ... he took it well though.

8 Replies Related Threads

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/06 21:29:04 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear, what stream did this happen on?
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/07 00:16:53 (permalink)
    this has to be the most pathetic act i have heard of in quite some time. im really starting to wonder if te level of morons around here is seeing a sharp incline anymore.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/07 07:56:01 (permalink)
    It is just the me first mentality.  People only care about themselves.  Sorry to here this happened to you and your kids.  People are just ****es.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/07 13:38:42 (permalink)
    Well I told my oldest boy we had to go and to put his final trout on the stringer that was in the next hole up (couldn't see it though due to brush). He came back and said they were gone but 3 lay dead on the ground.

Not be be critical, but you shouldn't be leaving an unattended stringer on a creek, even if it is "just around the bend" or "on the other side" of the bushes.  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just think if you're going to harp on someone elses bad manners and/or habits, you shouldn't be promoting your own by teaching your own children bad habits.  I've stumbled across enough lost or deserted stringers in my day.  Not say you would of left it there, but people do forget things! 

If you want to get technical, it could also be considered littering.  You're leaving debris unattended on a stream.  From the PA Guide Books section called, It's unlawful to...

To throw, leave, discard, or deposit litter, debris, or trash of any kind in or along waters or lands adjacent to or contiguous to waters of the Commonwealth.

That being said.  People never cease to amaze me.  Stealing fish from someone elses stringer is pretty low.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/07 22:11:35 (permalink)
    It was at the kids area of Virgin Run.

If you think something was wrong with that then you've got serious problems. Lecture me about littering??!?? Get a grip. It was literally in the next hole where my oldest son was fishing for most of the time ... he was back and forth. There was a lot of brush so I couldn't see it. Teaching my kids bad manners/habits??? My life is devoted to teaching them the highest morals/ethics/manners/etc. Sounds like it might have been you I met there.
    post edited by smfine - 2007/05/07 22:12:39
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/07 22:43:33 (permalink)
    Sounds like you are quick to point out faults in others, but slow to admit yours. I think smallie was just trying to help you avoid that type of situation in the future.

No doubt the people you encountered were ****es, but if you fish crowded areas you can't expect to be able to leave a stringer and move to the next hole...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    fishing nut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/08 07:17:34 (permalink)
    smfine,

It's a shame that people have to act like that. I know my temper there would have been some people landing in the water.
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: I saw a donkey at the stream today! 2007/05/08 08:12:31 (permalink)
    All I'm saying is don't leave your gear and/or stringers unattended.  If you left a $100 bill on a rock out of sight and someone took it, would you complain about it?  If you leave something out of sight and it's gone later, you really have no one to blame but yourself.  I think you're the one that needs to get the grip my friend, a little better grip on reality.

Trust me, had you met me on the stream that day, you wouldn't of lost your stringer, I would of made sure you took it with you back to where you were fishing.
    post edited by SmallieKiller - 2007/05/08 08:31:47
    Jump to: