slick trick broadheads

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/03 23:32:04 (permalink)

slick trick broadheads

Any of you guys shoot slick tricks with good results?

I'm thinking of shooting them this season.
post edited by thedrake - 2008/07/03 23:37:44

29 Replies Related Threads

pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/04 02:08:11 (permalink)
    8 year and running N.A.P 100GR Spit fires 3 blad hit them with that and you be painting the wood with blood. Never lost a deer yet. 70lbs 2315 xx75 punch power baby.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/05 00:36:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pin_drifter

8 year and running N.A.P 100GR Spit fires 3 blad hit them with that and you be painting the wood with blood. Never lost a deer yet. 70lbs 2315 xx75 punch power baby.

I used to shoot spitfire xp's. I did like them, and I killed a few deer with them, but i'm thinking of switching to a fixed blade this year. The past three years i've been using the rocket steelhead xp 100 both deer i killed with them dropped within sight. This season, i'm at the point where I either need to buy replacement blades, or new broadheads. I'd like to try something new this year.
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/05 13:05:51 (permalink)
    Drake,friend of mine used them once.Had a pass through on a doe but 2 of the 3 blades broke off in the deer.It was an easy broadhead lung shot,might have hit a rib but the blades are pretty flimsy..I went to Wasp Boss 100's 3 years back,3 bucks ,3 shots ,3 complete pass throughs, 3 dead bucks and all 9 blades intact and realisticaly could have been shot again..Very accurate out of a fast tuned bow and a might bit cheaper than the slick tricks.Ray

la Fish Hog
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/05 21:25:55 (permalink)
    Drake,  I shoot Muzzy's and have for most of my 25 years on stand, but I have shot almost every head except the Slick Trick.  That said, I know probably 30 different people who shoot Slick Tricks and there isn't a single one of them that would shoot anything else.  They are awesome and arguably the best broadhead on the market. 

Ray, Hard to say what happened on your buddies deer, but I personally know of well over a hundred deer that have been shot with these and I have never heard of this.  To that point, these things have been shot through 50 gallon steel barrels for testing.  They penetrate both sides and there is no record of poor blade retention.  Anything is possible however and you friend may have ended up with a bad batch. 

If I ever run out of the hundreds of Muzzys I currently own, I will shoot the Slick Trick without question.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/06 11:22:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info griffon. I've read good reviews for slick tricks, but wanted to hear thoughts from guys who aren't trying to sell them, before I buy them.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/07 23:55:14 (permalink)
    Dont that have a fixed blade broadhead (not the chiseled point, but one that is cut-on-contact)?  Anyone have any luck with those?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/14 08:12:00 (permalink)
    Tricks are a great broadhead Dan.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/19 10:07:04 (permalink)
    Going to try the Rage broad heads this year i was watching the hunting channel and all i can say is that the entry wound was amazing and the exit wound omg. I am hooked. So going to try to put a rage in the cage this year.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/20 19:48:14 (permalink)
    shot them last year and i wasnt impressed at all hit a doe at 20 yards right behind the shoulder got down an tracked the thing until 4 am was a great shot its just they dont put a very big hole in them. After that went back to my grim reapers
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 07:13:19 (permalink)
    If you tracked a deer till 4am, then you made a couple of mistakes at least.  First, you were pushing the deer and there is almost no hit with any broadhead that will allow you to do this and retrieve the animal quickly.  Second, you did not give the animal sufficient time to bleed out.  A deer shot in the evening hours (guessing that is when you shot her) should be left alone if you do not see it fall or hear it crash.  It should be ok in the morning (provided coyotes don't chew it up).  I may be wrong, but I would bet that if it were a giant buck you had shot, you would have backed out long before 4 am and come back the following morning. I would bet your shot was not as well placed as you might think.  It could have been high, allowing the animal to fill it's chest cavity with blood or perhaps you only caught one lung or maybe just the tip of one (either situation will allow a deer to go a long way).  If you double lung a deer through the center or slightly below center, it is a dead deer in a hurry.  That is true of any broadhead regardless or what brand or size.
    post edited by griffon - 2008/07/21 09:14:00
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 09:05:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: braaap@aol.com

shot them last year and i wasnt impressed at all hit a doe at 20 yards right behind the shoulder got down an tracked the thing until 4 am was a great shot its just they dont put a very big hole in them. After that went back to my grim reapers

Did you use the same blades for practice as the ones that went into the deer?

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 09:55:06 (permalink)

shot them last year and i wasnt impressed at all hit a doe at 20 yards right behind the shoulder got down an tracked the thing until 4 am was a great shot its just they dont put a very big hole in them.

Something is amiss with that one and I do not think it was the broadhead.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 10:14:48 (permalink)
    dpms

I doubled lunged a doe two years ago with an arrow, I had been pulling in and out of my quiver all season (new blades at the beginning of the season) .. there was not a drop of blood on the white arrow, white fletching, or white nock..

No blood trail.  She fell 20 yards away.  Opened her up, punctured both lungs.

Without seeing the arrow go in or hearing that deer fall, I could have thought that I missed cleanly, other than the fact the arrow had a misty smell. 

Veins, arteries hit with a dull blade will clot very quickly.  And that's if the blade even cuts them.  Sometimes the veins get "pushed" out of the path.

In his situation, it very well could have been dull blades.

braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 11:26:01 (permalink)
    You guys can think what you want but i gave the deer 2 hours before i started looking for it and it was a perfectly placed shot its just the hole was about the size of a nickle or a little bit bigger and it closed up and there wasnt mush of a blood trail at all a few drops every 20-30 yards or so. Im just saying that i wouldnt suggest shooting them.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 11:55:17 (permalink)
    Weren't some of the rage heads recalled last year because the blades weren't opening? It seems this is consistant with braaaps experience.

I talked to the owner of a local archery shop after archery season last year, he said a lot of guys had good success with the rage heads, and others complained that they didn't open completely. My concern with them would be that a 2" cutting diameter would not allow good penetration.

On broadheads, my thoughts are this.... If someone kills a deer with a broadhead, and the deer drops quickly, that person will likely tell everyone they know that the broadhead is really good or the best out there. On the other hand, if someone shoots a deer with a broadhead, and it doesn't die very quick, or they don't find the deer, the blame is automatically put on the head, and not the shooter. I can't tell you how many times i've heard or read someone say or write "don't buy _______ broadheads, because I shot a deer with one and never found it". I've even read similar statements in the past years on this board. I have a friend who 2 years ago decided to switch to the same mechanicals that I had been using with good results. After the first deer he shot with one ran out of sight, and was never seen again, he automatically blamed it on the broadhead and said "it must not have opened when it hit". The next day we found his arrow sticking in a tree with no sign that it even hit the deer. To this day, he still says mechanicals are crap.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/07/21 11:57:51
    braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 12:10:14 (permalink)
    I agree with what you are saying, im just stateing that look at the size of the slick tricks compared to alot of the other broadheads out there. I know some people have to be having good luck with them or they wouldnt be selling them
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 12:10:55 (permalink)
    Its quite simple with any broadhead, hit the deer in the lungs or heart and
    you will find the deer. Hit it anywhere else and your odds go way down.
    its a fact.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 12:16:19 (permalink)

Were you responding to pin_drifter's comment about rage broadheads, or my earlier post about slick tricks?

I was thinking you were posting about rage broadheads.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 12:16:20 (permalink)

You guys can think what you want but i gave the deer 2 hours before i started looking for it and it was a perfectly placed shot its just the hole was about the size of a nickle or a little bit bigger and it closed up and there wasnt mush of a blood trail at all a few drops every 20-30 yards or so. Im just saying that i wouldnt suggest shooting them.

But I do care what you're telling us and applaud your effort to continue searching.  Many guys would have given up in your situation.  I believe you are telling us you wouldn't shoot slicktricks again but it's because you are misinformed, not the broadhead.   I don't think that was the problem.   You just don't get a few drops of blood with a well placed shot with really sharp blades.  If you said the arrow was right behind the shoulder, then I'm not going to question the placement.  Dull blades are a bit less obvious and are overlooked by the majority of bowhunters.  Yes, that's right, I said majority.   The % of folks that are reading this don't use practice blades then put the new ones on right before the season opener.  Even less check the sharpness going into November during the season.  I learned what a quiver can do to blades and am fortunate it was a great shot.  Since you didn't answer the question, I can only guess the blades were used as practice and hunting.  Perhaps you can get away with this with grim reapers, but that doesn't mean slick tricks don't let much of a blood trail. 

Air, overtime will also dull blades.  We use an unshot broadhead that has been exposed to air for a few years for hunter/trapper and bowhunter education for demo's.  It does not cut the rubberbands at all while new blades cut on contact.

A well placed shot with good penetration with sharp blades will scatter blood everywhere, no matter the broadhead.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2885736&mpage=1&key=&#2887053

btw... I don't shoot slick tricks, nor to I have any connection with them.

Good luck.

braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 12:25:57 (permalink)
    My response was about slick tricks... and the blades where not used for practice and hunting i changed the blades the night before i shot the doe
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 13:01:57 (permalink)
    okay.  They could have been dull blades that you put on.  Perhaps from the factory or they could have been exposed to air for a while.  Like D said, something is missing here and it's not the actual broadhead.  Whatever the case, glad you're changing blades.  I do too, and learned one time, that wasn't enough.  So now they get checked every two weeks and only the point touches the foam on the quiver.  It may sound a little anal but after what happened, I am anal.      I never had that problem before, yet did nothing different from before.  The blades were tested but that wasn't enough apparently.

braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 13:34:16 (permalink)
    Yea i always check mine as well and only the point goes in the foam now to im not saying the broadheads are garbage im just saying i had bad luck with them.. Im sure they work great for some i just had difficulty with them, so i went back to my grim reapers and they are working great for me
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/21 23:39:30 (permalink)
    talons work very well also
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/22 01:38:21 (permalink)
    i also heard good things about the reapers
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/22 17:52:02 (permalink)
    a friend uses the reapers, he talks highly of them
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/23 16:16:23 (permalink)
    Im shooting muzzy.  Simple, Cheap, Deadly....Shoot a 70lb reflex...Have heard great things about the slick tricks as well....Im no expert i just go out and bang away at em with whatever I can.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/07/31 14:07:17 (permalink)
    I've been looking at the G5 line. They look like well made heads. Anyone tried them? I'm considering the tekan.
    bowman732000
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/08/08 18:34:58 (permalink)
    tricks are the best thing since matt invented the solo cam. blood trail   WOW  3 OR 4 INCH GROUPS AT 40 YARDS . what more do you need?  nuff said
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: slick trick broadheads 2008/08/11 22:18:40 (permalink)
    Wac'ems are much better than slick tricks they hit exactly the same as field points at 20 and about an inch different at 30. Reapers are probably some of the best mechanicals on the market. I would suggest you stay away from G5 products. Tekans don't open well and the fixed blades are really dull. If you want a montec stlye head I would suggest the hell raiser instead, way sharper. Muzzys are just plain old reliable can't go wrong with one. If you are having trouble with steering your broadheads the same as your field points try a 5" helical feather fletch then you can shoot anything.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    Jump to: