Hydrographic Maps

Author
Treble Hook
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/29 08:11:42 (permalink)

Hydrographic Maps

Does anyone know where to get lake maps to some of the smaller lakes in south central pa.  I know alot of the larger lakes have them (glendale yellow creek) but lakes like Somerset or Wilmore I can't find or am I looking for something that isn't there?
  Thanks
 Treble Hook

6 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Hydrographic Maps 2008/06/29 10:44:25 (permalink)
    There was a fellow posting on this web site about 2 years ago he was going to make maps of smaller lakes in central pa. but i haven't heard anything more about it.  He had said something about his sonar have mapping capabilities.

I made my own map of somerset by printing one from google earth and blowing it up on a copier to 11 X 14 size but i have no depths. If they do lower somerset down this fall 7 feet as planned i hope to copy another one from google if they are up to date. Hopefully some of the cribs etc will show up if i can enlarge it enough. Then i would have at least one depth fairly close. 

They were also planning on lowering high point after labor day for some repairs so you might be able to do the same for it. Shawnee also gets lowered every couple of years. Wish i could tell you more as i've also tried to get what your after.

About 6 years ago i got a map of yellow creek lake in indiana county from the park office for around $8. It was printed on a clear plastic material and had crib locations marked. I'm not sure about depths. Its in the garage somewhere if you want me to look. If they don't have them still i'd think about selling mine as i've never fished there.
    post edited by davef - 2008/06/29 10:48:16
    Treble Hook
    New Angler
    RE: Hydrographic Maps 2008/06/29 20:05:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Dave, I guess there isn't enough demand for them to do a survay or how ever they do it to make it worth while. I don't make it out to Yellow Creek that much either but thanks for the offer. Was up Hinkstone today and got one nice small mouth and a few gills they say theres eyes in there but I've never got in to them. Mabe this comming weekend I'll head down you neck of the woods and hit Somerset. Debating between day break or sun down any advice.

davef
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hydrographic Maps 2008/06/29 21:28:10 (permalink)
    In the last 2 weeks almost all walleyes for me have come between 10 and 12 in the morning. I've been fishing from about 7 am till 1 pm. I want to hit it one night but we've had thunder storms here in the evening for about 10 days straight i think.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Hydrographic Maps 2008/06/30 16:25:08 (permalink)
    I've had the same hard times trying to find good topo maps. This is'nt what your looking for, but I got one of these years ago and it was amazing. If you left your hose on to long it ended up on this map !
    http://www.streammaps.com/

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hydrographic Maps 2008/06/30 18:10:38 (permalink)
    I had gotten one of those along with 2 maps of lake erie and presque isle off ebay about 3 years ago. It was a nice map for stream fisherman but i gave it to wormwaster as he said he could use it. 
    Treble Hook
    New Angler
    RE: Hydrographic Maps 2008/06/30 19:08:22 (permalink)
    Thanks gizmos like you said not quite lake maps but a great link any ways. I'd rather know whats at the bottom of these lakes around here that the other side of the Milky Way but NASA doesn't see it my way. The technology's here we're just not putting it to good use like putting some lunkers in our boats. Thanks anyways.
    Jump to: