Outdrive mounted trolling motor question

Author
Like2Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/12 09:38:28 (permalink)

Outdrive mounted trolling motor question

I am considering buying one of those trolling motors that attach to the out drive.  Has anyone had any experience with these good or bad?  Are they hard to install?  Do they affect boat performance?  Minkota has a new system called Trim and Troll that reminds me of thrusters.  It is a combination of trim tabs and trolling motors.  Just curious if someone has some unbiased info.  I already have a 9.9 that connects to the out drive and the boat has auto pilot.  These electric motors look like a great way to maneuver in tight areas like docks, close to shore etc.  Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Outdrive mounted trolling motor question 2008/06/12 14:51:12 (permalink)
    how big is your boat?

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Outdrive mounted trolling motor question 2008/06/12 18:48:51 (permalink)
    I have been on boats w/ the style that mount on the tabs and the style that mount on the motors cavitation plate. Couples things to keep in mind, if you run over something while running w/ the large motor you can break a fluke off of a motor. If your backing into a dock and hit it, same thing happens a broken fluke. As far as being able to manuver easy w/ them, think again. You trying to push a boat, which means w/ the twin motor set-up you have 2 controls, right and left. Your be playing w/ them forever to get just in the right spot. Your be fighting the wind worse than a bow mounted motor. W/ the bow mounted motor the boat follows the motor and the wind becomes less of an issue. W/ the bow motor your turn the motor and the boat instantly follows, so going in tight to cover is easier and your standing directly at the motor w/ you sight in the same place. The stern ones your sight is limited and again its based on the location of the controls, which is normally at the helm. If you want to do a straight run then get the stern mounted but if your looking for overall complete use of elec. motors stick we/ a bow mount. if the bow mount breaks you loose use of it till you get a replacement from the local store. The stern ones break and you could be w/o them for some time, w/ replacement parts needed to be ordered. The last major item to consider is holes in your boat below water line. I'm of the thought the less amt of chance for water to enter your hull the better. I'd spend my money on a good quality bow motor and extra batteries. In the long run it'll cost you less.
    ORIGINAL: Like2Fish

I am considering buying one of those trolling motors that attach to the out drive.  Has anyone had any experience with these good or bad?  Are they hard to install?  Do they affect boat performance?  Minkota has a new system called Trim and Troll that reminds me of thrusters.  It is a combination of trim tabs and trolling motors.  Just curious if someone has some unbiased info.  I already have a 9.9 that connects to the out drive and the boat has auto pilot.  These electric motors look like a great way to maneuver in tight areas like docks, close to shore etc.  Thanks!
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Outdrive mounted trolling motor question 2008/06/13 14:24:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys.  The Boat is a 20' Wellcraft.  I enjoy casting for largemouth every now and then and I was looking for way to kill two birds with one stone.  I don't think I could mount a bow mount motor on my boat. It has a railing.  Now I have a bigger boat I guess I have to get used to how different the fishing style is.  Thanks again.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Outdrive mounted trolling motor question 2008/06/13 15:27:45 (permalink)
    I reworked the bow rail yrs ago on a alu. deep-v boat. You disconnect the center fitting at the bow and cut back the one side that you want the motor to be on. Cut it back only as far as needed and install a 90 deg. fitting on the long side thats left turning it down towards the gunnel. Re-cut the piece that you removed to fit from the turned down fitting and add a base fitting. The opposite side you can cap the open end of railing. I added a removable motor mount to the bow and was able to not lose the safety of the rail. It does work well, but you will need a long shaft motor.
    ORIGINAL: Like2Fish

Thanks Guys.  The Boat is a 20' Wellcraft.  I enjoy casting for largemouth every now and then and I was looking for way to kill two birds with one stone.  I don't think I could mount a bow mount motor on my boat. It has a railing.  Now I have a bigger boat I guess I have to get used to how different the fishing style is.  Thanks again.
    post edited by saltflyfisher - 2008/06/13 15:29:10
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Outdrive mounted trolling motor question 2008/06/13 16:18:27 (permalink)
    Thanks, after I posted last I was having the same thoughts.  I have a new Minkota Terrova mounted on my smaller deep "V"  It has the autopilot feature along with a 20' cord.  Sounds like a good solution.  I just can not leave things alone!

Thanks again!

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    Jump to: