VHS In Clearfork Reservoir, OH

Author
Little35
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/10 12:28:10 (permalink)

VHS In Clearfork Reservoir, OH

This is from the Plain Dealer Cleveland, OH. We were also told this at the Three Rivers MI meeting last night. He said that Tamarack, Pymatuning, Sugar, and Canadota fish have all tested negative for VHS. We need to keep it that way.

Everyone please remember to thoroughly clean your boat after every trip on the water.

As I'm sure most of you know Clearfork is Ohio's only muskie broodstock lake. This could have devastating effects on the future of fishing in Ohio.

Thursday, June 05, 2008
D'Arcy Egan
Plain Dealer Columnist

A disease that has killed fish around the lower Great Lakes has been discovered in Clearfork Reservoir, an Ohio inland lake near Mansfield.

The Ohio Division of Wildlife collected routine fish samples in April to test for Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) outside of the Lake Erie drainage. Test results announced Wednesday detected a positive sample from a muskie netted from Clearfork Reservoir.

Wildlife officials are asking anglers and boaters to avoid moving live fish from Clearfork Reservoir to other waters; to drain water from boat live wells, bilges and engines before leaving the reservoir; and to empty bait buckets and coolers.

Wildlife experts said VHS poses no risk to humans. Swimming will not put people at risk, and fish caught from Clearfork Reservoir are safe to eat.

The virus was confirmed by a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service laboratory in La Crosse, Wis.

A large fish kill from VHS was documented in western Lake Erie 2006, with mostly sheepshead, or freshwater drum, dying. There was a smaller fish kill in 2007.

There has not been a fish kill in Clearfork Reservoir.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

degan@plaind.com, 216-999-5158

1 Reply Related Threads

Indian Summer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 167
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: VHS In Clearfork Reservoir, OH 2008/06/12 13:41:42 (permalink)
    Man that is more serious than anyone who is not familiar with VHS can imagine. It is the worst variation of a fish cancer type disease. It can and will wipe out muskies, walleye, and other species in mass numbers. It turns a lake into the dead sea for years. I know people read about cleaning their boats with a bleach solution but I bet not many if any do. If you are fishing any of the Great lakes waters you have been exposed to it. Same goes now for Clear Fork. I know there are lots of people hitting Erie for the great walleye fishing these days who also fish our inland lakes. If this is you PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE to mix up some bleach and water and sponge down the boat hull and pour it into your livewells and run some out the bilge hole. It's cheap and easy and will prevent this from happening elsewhere.... or worse yet, everywhere.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    www.elk-hunting-montana.com
    post edited by Indian Summer - 2008/06/12 13:42:41
    Jump to: