Cast Nets???

Author
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/07 19:05:51 (permalink)

Cast Nets???

Lately I have been catching bait in my castnet here in my homestate of West Virginia.  It has been saving me bait money and I believe catching me more fish.  So I think why not take the net with me on my next trip up to Erie.  Might be able to pick up some smallmouth bait that way.  I sorta figured since I have seen castnets for sale in PA then they must be legal.  Luckily I checked before trying it! 

"The use of a cast net or throw net...is a violation of the Fish and Boat Code"

Man I really wanted to catch spottails that way!

Anyone have any idea why they are illegal? 

And also does anyone know if a minnow trap would be effective at all on the spottails that the smallies love so much?

9 Replies Related Threads

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/07 19:55:01 (permalink)
    If you do a search, there was a thread not long ago on this same subject. You'll find that some of you questions will be answered.
    ORIGINAL: chipmunk

Lately I have been catching bait in my castnet here in my homestate of West Virginia.  It has been saving me bait money and I believe catching me more fish.  So I think why not take the net with me on my next trip up to Erie.  Might be able to pick up some smallmouth bait that way.  I sorta figured since I have seen castnets for sale in PA then they must be legal.  Luckily I checked before trying it! 

"The use of a cast net or throw net...is a violation of the Fish and Boat Code"

Man I really wanted to catch spottails that way!

Anyone have any idea why they are illegal? 

And also does anyone know if a minnow trap would be effective at all on the spottails that the smallies love so much?

fishingMOZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/07 22:06:40 (permalink)
    I did some checking on the pa fish and boat site and found that the only lakes that using a cast net is allowed is the following:

Berks County - Blue Marsh Lake
    Bucks County - Nockamixon Lake
    Carbon County - Beltsville Lake
    Huntingdon County - Raystown Lake
    Wayne/Pike County - Lake Wallenpaupack
    Butler County - Lake Arthur
    Mercer County - Shenango Lake

Quoted from PA Fish and Boat:

"The use of a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters is a violation of the Fish and Boat Code and is punishable by a fine and may result in the loss of fishing privileges. Cast nets or throw nets shall not exceed 10 feet in radius or 20 feet in diameter and possess a mesh size of at least 3/8-inch. The holder of the cast net or throw net permit may take, catch, kill or possess a daily creel limit of 100 gizzard shad and alewife (combined species). The holder of the permit shall carry the permit on his/her person while using the net or while possessing more than 50 gizzard shad or alewife (combined species). The permit shall be available for inspection by a waterways conservation officer.

It is unlawful to:

* use a cast net or throw net in the waterways listed above without the required permit;
    * use a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters except those listed above;
    * use a cast net or throw net to take, catch, kill or possess any fish species except gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife;
    * use gizzard shad or alewife taken under the required permit as live bait in any water other than the water from which it was taken;
    * use a cast net/throw net without possessing a valid fishing license."
    post edited by fishingMOZ - 2008/06/07 22:07:20
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/08 08:38:19 (permalink)
    I found the thread saltflyfisher was talking about. I missed it because I only checked this board. It really did answer several of my questions.

What I gather from that thread is that a cast net with a 4 foot diameter (2" radius) should be legal in all waters from which baitfish may be taken.   This doesn't seem to be confirmed for sure. You might want to make some calls before trying it.

Nets this small arent sold in stores so you have to make your own by cutting down a full sized net.  I originally thought that a net this small would never catch fish, but as mentioned on that other thread, if you cut down a 5' net into a 2' net and then use all of the lead on your new net, it should sink fast enough to trap the bait easily. 

I'm not not buying a new net or cutting down my good net just for my vacations, but if you live in PA then its probably worth it. 

So until I tear up the net that I use now...anyone know how to catch bait on Erie?  Without my castnet the only two good bait gathering techniques that I have are minnow traps and sabiki rigs.   Anyone tried either?
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/08 10:07:46 (permalink)
    Sabiki work great for perch too!

You might want to try an umbrella net!
    cieply
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/09 11:13:20 (permalink)
    Cast nets are a very useful (and fun) tool for getting bait. 

Anyone have an idea as to why they are only legal in a few bodies of water?   

kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/09 12:20:09 (permalink)
    gizzard shad and alewife
    ORIGINAL: cieply

Cast nets are a very useful (and fun) tool for getting bait. 

I'll guess it just where the fish commission wants people to take gizzard shad and alewife and those are probably more concentrated in the listed lakes than anywhere else.  
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/09 16:02:20 (permalink)

Enough people complainrd
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/09 19:52:06 (permalink)
    lol

But complaining is one of a fisherman's greatest talents!  That and lying just a bit on the size of our catch. 

Maybe I'll just give up and pay Andy for some already caught bait.

cieply
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Cast Nets??? 2008/06/10 08:44:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Enough people complainrd

What was the complaint?  People were fishing out all of the forage fish?  taking game fish in the nets?

Jump to: