Shades beach question

Author
03GruntPa
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/31 00:55:48 (permalink)

Shades beach question

Does anyone know anything about the charecter that patrols around down there at night thinking he's a cop? Hes not a cop and not fish and game...  Went down there with the girlfriend tonight to just take a look at the place and maybe cast for some eyes for a few. I drive down there and this fella pulls me over, lights flashing on a mini van. Harborcreek township sticker pasted on the side. Asks what we're doing down here. Told him just driven around and might fish for a few. Your not allowd down here after sundown... (i'm from millcreek and first time i even attemptd to fish there let alone drive down there) had no idea about it closing at sundown. I said I did not know that, apoligized for causing such a scene and askd the reason why.. It doesnt matter why, its been that way for years is what i get. He's getting ignorant at this point so i ask who he is..name, badge #, etc. You dont need a name its on the side of my vechicle he says... i said ok. When i asked that i guess i was being cocky and was told i'm very lucky tonight that he doesnt fine me 300$ on the spot and that he has my licsence plate #... i left at that point after saying I wouldnt be considering myself the lucky one... he kept babbling. I'm 27, girlfriend is 32... guess we lookd like vandels or something. Anyone help me out with this one? Going to make a call to the Harborcreek supervisor tmmrw or monday and find out who this squirrl is and let them know how ignorant and unprofessional  their rent a cop acted.
post edited by 03GruntPa - 2008/05/31 01:30:44

28 Replies Related Threads

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 03:21:03 (permalink)
    Harborcreek has no law enforcement agency. State police is only law enforcement.  A law enforcement officer must show his badge, and give his name.  You were duped by some idiot resident there.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 09:39:09 (permalink)
    IF YOU HAD A CELL PHONE, YOU COULD HAVE DIALED 911 OR THE REAL COPS AND REPORTED HIM ON THE SPOT!
    WONDER HOW LONG HE WOULD HAVE HUNG AROUND???
    Stack Monkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 11:52:29 (permalink)
    Just for the heck of it, after you verify there is no "acting legal" park hours enforcement personnel for the township, maybe you should go back there and if he shows up and starts harassing you again, walk around his vehicle, get his license plate info and tell him you are going to report him to the State Police for impersonating an officer of the law.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 14:47:46 (permalink)
    Maybe it was  "Tackleberry" from Police Academy ?????
    locojoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 16:53:38 (permalink)
    Slow down, guys. I know that years ago Harborcreek and Wesleyville had some sort of combined program that unleashed some cop wannabes on the plazas and such. Our tool crib guy at GE moonlighted at the job. I don't know that it's still going on but the Harborcreek website for Shades Beach lists skatey-eight rules of conduct for the place including several no-trespass rules. This guy might be some sort of 'watchman' for Harborcreek Parks.
    northparklake
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 20:55:29 (permalink)
    no need to "slow down". he deserves to be reported or worse.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 21:33:27 (permalink)
    Nothing on their website about a curfew.  Sounds like some hick rent-a-cop.  Hope these supervisors know they are opening themselves up for a lawsuit if this jackass keeps threatening people and something "develops"!
    locojoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 21:53:06 (permalink)
    I forgot. This is the internet.  I suggested that the guy might be an employee of the township, not a phony cop.   What does your "or worse" suggest?
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 22:07:14 (permalink)
    I know the park does close after dark but does that mean the launch also? I think grunt is right as far as the attitude that was givin to him. It is new and a lot of people are going to be checking it out day and night. I wonder if I launched out of there and didnt come back in till 11pm, I would get harassed??? The one thing that really get's my goat is people on a power trip. Hope this thing get's resolved because the "worse" could be someone jumping the guy. Not a good thought. And no it wouldnt be me, I just stand my ground

The World is a Vampire
    oilcrk
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 22:08:21 (permalink)
    No go... anyone applying or suggesting applying law enforcement capabilities including detaining must relinquish his credentials upon request including appropriate ID, badge number, and vehicle information.
    I would contact State police now, and advise them of the situation, specifically include use of lights and pull over tactics, and your interpretation of his enforcement threats, you have description of guy, vehicle, and another witness....your girl friend. I trust they will work from there....
    I can almost assure you that the state police will be very interested in your call...as these days anyone pretending to be a officer should be reported...and vetted...
    Who knows what this idiots intentions where....say if you were a gal alone?
    OC
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/05/31 22:34:42 (permalink)
    Very good point OC

The World is a Vampire
    03GruntPa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/01 14:06:22 (permalink)
    appreciate the feedback. Went over to the girlfriends yesterday and we drove down there again and there is a homemade sign that says park closes at sundown but thats it... No other signs saying anything. If i was wrong , i was wrong... i can accept that. But just how quick that old man got ignorant and threatened to fine me like that , wouldnt identify himself, etc,  in front of my lady wasnt right. The way he acted was very unappropiate!  I personally dont think he has any rights to do anything but i somehow kept my cool and left. Still chaps my A _ _! Im going to be gone the next 2 weeks down to oil city for a school but acouple phone calls will be made. Tried the Harborcreek supervisors #  but dont think their open untill monday. Just want to make sure my 6 is covered and he cant do anything before i go back down there  and be unpleasent. Pretty sure some of our $ was used for that new ramp and marina down there  and it cannot be accessed after it gets dark?? Sounds funny to me but i've been wrong before. Good fishing to all!
    crypticphage
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/01 14:36:47 (permalink)
    grunt,

please let us know what you find out with your phone calls
    oilcrk
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/01 21:09:33 (permalink)
    Grunt,
    Make one of your calls to State Police.... and file a report...and/or call local news station....
    Dont do anything yourself
    OC
    KayakFisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/03 13:38:48 (permalink)
    Under park regulations of Harborcreek parks:

"9.            No person shall conduct himself/herself within the Park so as to harass or annoy any other person using the Park for recreational purposes. "
    This guy violated park regulation by harrassing you!!

I think that car Ramrod has a power trip and thinks he is the law!  meow
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/03 14:22:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KayakFisher
    I think that car Ramrod has a power trip and thinks he is the law!  meow

Awesome.   

Meow move along!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/03 14:39:15 (permalink)
            What photo most resembles your new friend??
    post edited by pghmarty - 2008/06/03 14:51:26
    PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 08:55:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 03GruntPa

Does anyone know anything about the charecter that patrols around down there at night thinking he's a cop? Hes not a cop and not fish and game

Was he driving a truck with a light on top, like maybe a township vehicle? I was dating a girl on Route 5 in Harborcreek about ten years ago and the same thing happened to us. The person I'm mentioning was driving a Harborcreek Township pickup truck with a cap and a light on top of the truck.
    cieply
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 09:06:08 (permalink)
    The people to truely respect are the ones who have a great deal of power and use it minimally.

The people to avoid are the ones who have minimal power and try to use it greatly.

Keep us posted on this, it sound to me like someone has too much time on their hands.

PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 09:22:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cieply

The people to truely respect are the ones who have a great deal of power and use it minimally.

The people to avoid are the ones who have minimal power and try to use it greatly.

Keep us posted on this, it sound to me like someone has too much time on their hands.

Actually I think if someone investigates it really is someone used by Harborcreek Township.
    cieply
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 10:04:48 (permalink)
    I agree that is likely, should have definitely shown ID or badge though. 

I think that people who get flashing lights put on their vehicles often assume too much extra liberty.  Perfect example:  I was approaching a green light at an intersection and just before I got to it- a big pick-up truck blew through the red light going about 60mph, this was at night, so I didnt even see the small blue flashing light on his truck until he already past the interstection (the headlights were brighter than the small light on his dash).  I had to slam on my breaks to avoid a crash.  I guess he was a volunteer fire fighter, but come on now, your not doing much good if you kill someone on your way to save someone.

PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 10:10:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cieply

I agree that is likely, should have definitely shown ID or badge though. 

I think that people who get flashing lights put on their vehicles often assume too much extra liberty.  Perfect example:  I was approaching a green light at an intersection and just before I got to it- a big pick-up truck blew through the red light going about 60mph, this was at night, so I didnt even see the small blue flashing light on his truck until he already past the interstection (the headlights were brighter than the small light on his dash).  I had to slam on my breaks to avoid a crash.  I guess he was a volunteer fire fighter, but come on now, your not doing much good if you kill someone on your way to save someone.

I agree with that; my father was a fire fighter all his life and in his last years of life was upset with all the younger people joining the volunteer ranks to seemingly have that bank of lights on their vehicle.

Back to the original point, the truck that the person was driving had a Harborcreek Township decal on it. I never forget a face, and would often see this man driving around Harborcreek in the daytime with the same vehicle.
    KayakFisher
    New Angler
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 11:56:02 (permalink)
    What is going to happen when we want to go fishing after sunset or before sunrise?  Are they going to tell us we can't pull our boat in until sunrise and have to sit out in the lake?  I think the township needs to allow the launch to be available 24hrs and have a 'patrolman' down there if they are worried about people vandalizing or drowning. 

That psuedocop guy is a joke and has to hate his life for doing nothing but harass people trying to enjoy themselves.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 13:04:06 (permalink)
    Here is the fastest way to find out what the deal is:
    Go down there and kick the everlovin$hit out of him.......If you end up in jail,,,,,He was legit.    If not, you feel much better.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/04 13:32:58 (permalink)
    You'd go to jail either way.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Banananastix4
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/05 16:35:09 (permalink)

This is the response sent to me after emialing Harborcreek Twp

By public access, I am assuming you are referring to the launch area ?? 
    The launch and fishing piers are open 24 hours.  The beach and all areas not for fishing or launching are closed at sunset.
    The rental pavilions are closed at 9 p.m.
    This time schedule has been proposed by attorney's (liability concerns) and other commissions.   Since this is our first year of launch/fishing operations, we are trying what has been strongly suggested to us.  We really want to hear from those using the facility and what their thoughts may be for future operating hours etc.
    KayakFisher
    New Angler
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/06 17:02:27 (permalink)
    I spoke with a gentleman down there from DCNR and that is a topic to be discussed at the next meeting.  It is a 24hr access for fishing and boating.  The "Park" closes at dusk, but the pier and launch are open 24 hrs.  Anyone that tells you to leave has NO authority to force you to leave.  The pavilion, playground and beach area are closed at night though.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: Shades beach question 2008/06/07 06:32:50 (permalink)
    I do believe that the township has this under control as there is a new person there now at dusk to close the park NOT THE BOAT RAMP. I ran into this fellow last year and reported him last year to the township supervisors and thought it was taken car of last year, telling them this is NOT the image that Harborcreek want to present to anyone.

I was there the other night and watched him do the same thing to a couple from Pittsburgh.

This seems to be taken care of but what about all the crap on the inside of the launch area. It appears that only 1 launch can be used. I saw the dredge equipment a month ago there, but it is all filled again. Did a little checking and was told that, the company that dredged suggested to  Harborcreek Township that it be dredged down to the rock and thier respoce was to only take it down enough for a boat. So now it is all full of leaves and weeds and sand.

NIce paved ramp 2 millon, cement walk ways, 1 millon, getting the job done the right way the fist time "PRICELESS" 
    Jump to: