replacing felt on wading boots

Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/01 20:24:54 (permalink)

replacing felt on wading boots

First time doing it, and want to do it right.  Directions say for best results, get old felt off.  If not possible, then rasp old felt to a rough surface. 

Would it really matter if the felt is in good shape, just thin.  It's not like it's crumbling or separating.  I just went over the old felt with my belt sander, and it's good and roughed up, and looking like I should just go for it and glue them felt-to-felt.(I will hit them w/rasp a bit) 

Anyone have any problems going felt-to-felt? 

Any "I followed the directions and _______ happened" out there?

6 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: replacing felt on wading boots 2007/05/01 21:25:01 (permalink)
    I've never replaced felt..usually just replaced the boot.

I'll let you be the guinea pig...you can F^$( it up and then tell us what not to do..

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: replacing felt on wading boots 2007/05/01 21:34:15 (permalink)
    Thanks.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: replacing felt on wading boots 2007/05/01 21:38:51 (permalink)
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: replacing felt on wading boots 2007/05/01 22:11:20 (permalink)
    Shoe repair shop should it for around $20. That's the I went. Supplied them with the felt. For them it's no different than replacing the soles on shoes. Besides that they have all the tools for doing it right.

Mine needs new felt also. I'm going to ask about sewing the felt around the edge, so it stays on better. The orginal felt was sewed, but wore a hole in the felt. Now the felt is coming loose from the sole. Sewing the felt will probably cost more but will be worth it.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: replacing felt on wading boots 2007/05/01 22:22:30 (permalink)
    $24.99 for the boots, and the tops are fine, so $13 for felt plus effort(learning experience) is as far as I'll go with these.  Next pair, I'm sure will be worth the extra effort and $$$.

I'm going through with the felt-to-felt, and I'll drive some sheet metal screws into the felt.  I did that with an old pair of hikers I used as my first wading boots.  The screws fell out, but if I hit them with a bit of this cement they should be fine.  Even if they fall out after 1 use, I'll be fine with that. 

I don't want to bite it on Oil Creek in front of you guys.  There's certainly been enough warning on that creek.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: replacing felt on wading boots 2007/05/01 22:38:23 (permalink)
    i have one pair of old wading  boot that i put sheetmetal screws in. i used aqua seal and they are still in there worth a try any ways.  prob used them 5 or so times since i did it
    Jump to: