• Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/01 17:54:52 (permalink)

Minnows

I reside in a residential area without a small stream or brook to
keep a minnow box (or some type of container) in the water to keep my
minnows alive.   I thought about purchasing a 10 gallon aquarium to try
and keep them alive in, howver, I'm told this usually doesn't work very
well for keeping redfins alive.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Loon
Tight lines and screaming reels
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralPaTrout/

16 Replies Related Threads

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 18:27:16 (permalink)
    I have the luxury of having a refridgerator in my garage. I keep maggots, meal worms, crawlers and I have a styrofoam container on the bottom shelf where I keep minnows, chubs or suckers when I have them. I use a small pump(aquarium type) and an air stone. If I had a filter that would no doubt work well, but I don't so I monitor the conditions and change water when needed and add anti-clor as needed. Suckers don't seem to do very well in the cold water for any lenght of time.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3350
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 19:16:16 (permalink)
      I have a commercial tank you can have. It even has a drain spicket.
     It should work good for what you want. Pm me if interested.

Crappy
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 19:25:08 (permalink)
     Or a slop sink "plastic laundry tub" works ok. They come with legs & a drain for about $20.

Crappy
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 20:13:10 (permalink)
    I tried the aquarium route this winter and it worked ok except for when I put more then a dozzen or two in it.  The filter actually posed more problems then it was worth.  If one of the unlucky minnows couldn't escape the suction and died, soon every minnow was going belly up.  I have gone back to the old method...  Putting an areator on the minnow bucket.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 20:20:16 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         The aquarium method works great but you have to keep the water temp below 55 degrees.  When it gets too hot the ppm of oxygen drops too low even with an additional air source.  10gal will let you keep about 24 2-3" fish.  figure 12 fish per gallon and you're pretty close.  Ideally the temp should be around 45 degrees.  Just hope your kids don't name them.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 20:27:45 (permalink)
    I have a (i think 30 gallon?) tub that the beer stores use for kegs.  I bought one at Lowes for $15.  They usually only have them in Aug/Sept when the local universities start up.  It works great, with an aquarium pump and areator.  Make sure you either use Auquasafe or something like that to balance out the chemicals.  I have it in the basement, which keeps rather cool during the summer.  Baitshop shiners will last for ever.  I use a cylinder one, which is recommended for any type of shad, since they will find a corner and swim into it until they die.  The tub doesn't keep them alive for much longer than a few days though.  If you have ever tried to keep alewives or gizzard shad, a few hours if that, is how long they will last in a minnow bucket, so this keeps them a bit longer.  It lets them do laps around and around, with out getting stuck.  They will get stuck on the pump hose if it isn't in the center.

If you don't have an areator or pump, try using a drop of hydrogen peroxide every so often.  Do a quick search on the internet of how much to use.
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/01 20:51:34 (permalink)
    Put a frozen bottle of water in the tank change it every so often  keeps the water cool.  I also do this in my minnie bucket they last alot longer..
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/02 00:46:09 (permalink)
    WOW id be afraid to see some or your guys aquarium set ups (for pets that is) the Rule of thumb in keeping fish is 1inch per gallon. 10 gallon = 10 one inch fish. now if you mean to keep your minnow for longer periods youll need a chiller that connected to a pump. It can become very costly. my advice is what Stealys said use a frozen bottle.   Go to wal mart or dollar general and purchase like a 30 gallon storage bin. cheaper and less of a worry for breaks. What i did for my saltwater coral fragment tank was sit the bid on 4 block bricks and added a lil drain nozzle on the bottom for easy water changes. Ive got a chiller for sale I used on my 55 gallon reef tank if your lookin to spend some money.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/02 01:05:42 (permalink)
      I'm pumping 3000 gph & started feeding about 2 weeks ago. When the water gets warmer they breed like crazy.
    I was surprised to see a good bit of the gizzard shad made it through the winter. I'm allready seeing newborns this week. Now to get that trout & crappie out of there.

Crappy
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/02 05:39:00 (permalink)
    I've used a 55 gallon and a 70 gallon aquarium for keeping bait. Have never had a problem keeping bait. Use a dual filter pump system.(filters need cleaned often) With a two stone setup on an aerator. Keep it in the coolest spot you have out of direct sun. in winter I can keep 100's of baits. In the summer not as many. Right now I have 100 creek baits and about 50 emeralds(large). They are fresh and ready to go when I need them. The aquarium set up is a little more inconvenient because of the maintenance needed.But not nearly as inconvenient as being ready to go fishing at 5am with no bait..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/03 13:24:59 (permalink)
      Set some traps yesterday in mine, just to check it out. It's Loaded ! One trap had over 20 big crayfish in it. Alot of the 6" chubs bellies were about to burst, the darters were big & lively, didn't catch any shiners in them & the bull frogs love eating those alewifes.
     Now if I would only start using live bait

Crappy
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/03 16:00:46 (permalink)
    I got one of those traps at walmart, its like a cylinder shape and i wanna put it in a creek near my house,  Whats the best bait to use and whats usually the best parts of the creek to put a trap in?  also is it a bad idea to put it in a creek where there is light to moderate fishing pressure?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/03 17:40:09 (permalink)
    Outdated bread, or dog food work well. I would heavily frequented, or stocked streams. You minnows tend to disappear. I never would have minded it too much. But they usually just tossed the trap on the bank. Meaning no minnows for me OR them, later. Try to make sure it sits as level as possible, and facing with the current. I always tried to place it in an undercut. It also help to let it sit in the weather a while, and take the shine off it. You must afix a tag with your name, and adress on it also.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2007/05/03 17:42:38

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/03 18:04:52 (permalink)
    Get yourself a camo rope also. Had my traps cleaned twice this week. One trap was only in the creek for 5 hours found it on the bank. When I use dog food I tie it up in onion sack so when you get the bait out you don't have a bucket full of loose dog food.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/03 20:49:54 (permalink)
    Years ago I used to spray paint my minnow traps black, now most that are sold are manufactured painted black already.  When setting a trap I always put a few tennis ball sized rocks in the bottom of the trap to keep it on the bottom of the stream.  Use stale bread, but don't break it up into small pieces, that way it lasts longer.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Minnows 2007/05/03 23:39:08 (permalink)
    get the dog food in a can and punch holes in that works well. anything stinky and oily will get the job done. 
    Jump to: