New Docks at Walnut

Author
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/01 17:47:56 (permalink)

New Docks at Walnut

Good deal!!  Launch ramp docks now 10 ft longer...

Finally some improvements!

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!

18 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/01 20:22:36 (permalink)
    I heard they were going to install a trebuchet to help launch the boats faster.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 11:07:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

I heard they were going to install a trebuchet to help launch the boats faster.

Should be able to toss a 17 footer to the first trench on the fly.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 11:18:56 (permalink)
    Im all for it....Only problem would be the landing....

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 11:43:37 (permalink)
    How's the channel at Walnut? Last I heard, they weren't going to be dredging it anymore.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 16:28:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Brad1

How's the channel at Walnut? Last I heard, they weren't going to be dredging it anymore.

If that is the case...those new docks will be pretty useless with no boats launching there

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 17:09:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

ORIGINAL: Brad1

If that is the case...those new docks will be pretty useless with no boats launching there

That's why I was surprised to read about the new docks. I had read a notification last year that they were going to cease future dredging of the channel. Perhaps people fought it and they decided to continue dredging. I don't know. We can't get enough good access here in PA in my opinion so I really hope they do continue dredging and I'm glad to hear about the new docks.
    DWCO
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 19:02:08 (permalink)
    Dredging of both the channel and the basiin is nearly if not completely finished as of this writing.  All work was done by PFBC crews and equipment.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/02 22:05:55 (permalink)
    You're probably refering to the hoopla last year over them not dredging ALL THE WAY across the channel.  I had heard a roumor last year that the fish cops were looking at updating walnut in a much larger way.  Of corse this probably won't happen for decades with the way the state works.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/03 11:54:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DWCO

Dredging of both the channel and the basiin is nearly if not completely finished as of this writing.  All work was done by PFBC crews and equipment.

Oh geez...was that suppose to be words that make us feel safe launching there?...lol

Regaurdless this solves any rumor about them not dredging...they would always have to dredge if not the place would fill up...

What sort of depth are we looking at through the channel DWCO? Is it the entire thing...or is it only one side? 

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/04 08:29:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trap Jaw

You're probably refering to the hoopla last year over them not dredging ALL THE WAY across the channel.  I had heard a roumor last year that the fish cops were looking at updating walnut in a much larger way.  Of corse this probably won't happen for decades with the way the state works.

It was about a year ago, but remember seeing what appeared to be an official notice that they were no longer going to dredge in Walnut Creek. From what I recall, it was on paper and it was tacked up on a bulletin board. I think it might have been in the boat house at Lampes marina where I saw it. I definately remember not liking what I read. But either way, I'm glad they are dredging it and keeping it open.

I would really like to see future improvements at Walnut. Myself, I don't launch there because I don't like the channel. It's bad enough when your trying to negotiate a narrow channel with boats passing when conditions are calm. But with as rough as the water gets in that channel, well, I'm just too worried about ending up on rocks. They need a breaker wall to protect the channel better IMO.

Admittedly, I have a low opinion of Pennsylvania with regards to boat access. But I think I'm tainted because of the ramps down here in the Pittsburgh area. With exception of the Southside ramp, the ramps are lousy down here, and 1/2 the time they don't have a dock. That, and I think I got spoiled launching at Geneva-on-the-lake Ohio for about 10 years.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/04 08:46:45 (permalink)
    Personally I would rather see more parking, so that when I get there at 6 am there isn't someone telling me "Sorry we're full"  I can get up early enough to get a spot, but I have a better chance of catching a 39 inch walleye than dragging the kids out of bed at 4 am!!!!!!!

However anything they do is progress I guess. 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/04 10:48:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Personally I would rather see more parking, so that when I get there at 6 am there isn't someone telling me "Sorry we're full"  I can get up early enough to get a spot, but I have a better chance of catching a 39 inch walleye than dragging the kids out of bed at 4 am!!!!!!!

However anything they do is progress I guess. 

You never launch at walnut at 6am on the weekend...lol NEVER!

As far as parking goes...i dont think they can handle much more there...its nuts as it is when the seaon is in and good.  PA just needs another access, if not a larger access, on the west side and it would divert away some of that heavy traffic.  I know elk creek has appeal to some of the smaller boaters...but neither access is too great if the weather gets nasty...

CB
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/04 11:39:10 (permalink)
    You can't build facilities on property you don't own. The public comment meetings for the developement of Erie Bluff state park, were well announced. How many complaining about access attended to lobby for a marina, or safe harbor? I believe the plans for a breakwall, and channel extention at Walnut have been completed, and are awaiting approval. This approval has to come from several agencies, each with their own roll of red tape.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/04 11:40:52 (permalink)
    Elk creek has been talked about being developed into a large marina for about the past 10 years.....

and when in my previous post did i say lets build one on private ground...i i simply stated that PA needs another one if not LARGER one on the west side...and that it would divert some of that heavy boat traffic away from walnut creek....that is all...i wasnt reaching for my shovel just yet...

post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/05/04 11:45:14

CB
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/07 09:35:23 (permalink)
    Jeff been meaning to call you. How did you guys do out west? Had to get the turkey killing out of my system been on vac all 1st week of may finally killed one on thursday. Took the boat in to get upper drive shaft bellows changed and gimbel bearing,rear oil seal on wed had it back on fri $360.66 total and towed it to camp on sat. 42 deg with 20mph NE wind was cold the trees are just starting to bud on the lake shore. Give me a call this week in the eveing.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/07 13:07:10 (permalink)
    "and when in my previous post did i say lets build one on private ground..."

I never said you did, I just pointed out that most of the Penna. shoreline IS private property. Even in the case of Elk creek, for most of those ten years all they COULD do was talk. As they didn't own the land. When the park property was acquired, they held pulblic meetings to develope a plan for the park. Most who attended, were in favor of keeping it as pristine, and undeveloped as possible. How many showed up to support building a marina, or harbor?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/08 11:59:17 (permalink)
    Gary,

I have been so **** busy my head is spinning.  I sent you a PM earlier.. Dad has been also runnin around like a chicken with his head cut off...Hes really feeling the pressure of all this work we are getting and he is remodling the bathroom upstairs in his house...and my mother wont let up...lol I got the boat up and ready to go mechanically, dirty as can be though, but ill get to that eventually...

Prolly gonna start perch/bass fishing here in a few weeks just for something to do.  Lemme know if you are gonna be up...its almost time to get some toothy walleyes...

it is almost painful to work when the weather is like this...

CB
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: New Docks at Walnut 2007/05/11 22:29:08 (permalink)
    Used the new docks last Monday and they are really great save one thing.  They are way too high, a solid 3 feet out of the water with nothing but nasty looking stuff between the deck and water.  The area under the deck that is open is easily 2 feet high and easily sucks the entire rear 1/3 of my boat under it.  I know most of you will gripe about my boat but I think the boat cops could have thought a little bit before they built these darn things.  It'd be one thing if I had to carry a bumper to keep from damaging my boat, but what am I supposed to do???  Mount a pole on each corner of the stern????????????????????????
    Jump to: