Visual Distress Equiptment

Author
TBS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/23 23:20:49 (permalink)

Visual Distress Equiptment

I understand the regs for Visual Distress for boats on Lake Erie. Does that apply to P.I. bay also or just on the main lake ?
Thanks

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern

22 Replies Related Threads

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 00:10:04 (permalink)
    Yes, applies to bay also.
    DWCO
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 05:39:26 (permalink)
    In Pennsylvania, Visual distress signals (VDS) are required only for boats operating on Lake Erie. Between the hours of sunset and sunrise, boats less than 16 feet in length must carry VDS suitable for use at night. Boats 16 feet and over in length must, at all times, carry devices suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, or devices suitable for use both day and night.  These devices are typically the handheld flares or the "gun and shot gun shell" type. The must be USCG approved devices.

Visual Distress Signals are not required on Presque Isle Bay, only Lake Erie
    TBS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 05:45:30 (permalink)
    Thank you.

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 11:44:49 (permalink)
    DWCO,

I am normally would not challenge a statement of regulations from a law enforcement official, but. While often reffered to  seperately from the main lake, PI bay IS lake Erie. One would think, that the same regulations apply.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    gfly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 16:08:43 (permalink)
    I ask a coast gaurd officer several years ago the same question. He told me I do not need a visual distress signal in the bay. This was after being tied to his boat and boarded for a safety check.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 17:25:05 (permalink)
    A question you need to ask yourself. Is it better to have them and not need them or is better to not have them but need to use them.

I've been boating for many yrs and you can never have enough safety equipment of any kind. I have whistles, small strobes and glow sticks attached to my life vests. I also own a PLB w/ gps built in. Just because it states you don't need it doesn't mean it's not a good item to have on board. These items take up so little space.

Life is a lot more valuable than a couple dollars spent on safety equipment for you to make it home safely.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 21:26:34 (permalink)
    An expired flare is the same as not having one!

DWCO
    New Angler
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/24 21:59:02 (permalink)
    Spoony, they are not, by law,  required on Presque Isle Bay....although carrying them regardless of the waters you are boating is certainly a good idea.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/25 00:12:24 (permalink)
    To question it is a bonehead move.......
    don't go boating!!!!
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/25 20:27:04 (permalink)
    DWCO,
    Where can I get rid of a few expired flares in the Pittsburgh area? Would the local fire department be able to take them off my hands?
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/25 20:58:57 (permalink)
    I always figured PI bay to be a part of Lake Erie.  I wouldn't risk it either way.  I carry ALL of the requirred/up-to-date safety equipment on both of my boats.  I would recommend everyone to do the same.

Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/26 07:58:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 2dog

DWCO,
    Where can I get rid of a few expired flares in the Pittsburgh area? Would the local fire department be able to take them off my hands?
    The forth of July is comeing up shoot them off in your back yard. Or go to your local gun range Im sure the guys there would be happy to have fun with them.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/26 08:44:15 (permalink)
    dog, I use the expired ones for the vehicles. As stated you can carry them on your boat as spares, but you still need the required amt w/ good dates to them.

Your local police, fire, CG, marine police should take your old flares.
    ORIGINAL: 2dog

DWCO,
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/26 08:53:10 (permalink)
    Hmmm, I during a safety check last year I was told by the coast guard that VDS ARE required on PI. I was also told the same by a DWCO on a prior occassion.

DWCO, not doubting you are correct, can you please point to the location in the regs where it would indicate that PI is different from main lake, would like to read it.

Thanks
    DWCO
    New Angler
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/26 15:47:20 (permalink)
    Again: In Pennsylvania, Visual distress signals (VDS) are required only for boats operating on Lake Erie. Between the hours of sunset and sunrise, boats less than 16 feet in length must carry VDS suitable for use at night. Boats 16 feet and over in length must, at all times, carry devices suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, or devices suitable for use both day and night.

Although Presques Isle Bay shares the same water as Lake Erie, it is considered separate from Lake Erie and the regs only state Lake Erie and not the Bay.  This is the way it is treated with the PFBC.  This is nothing new and has been this way for years.  If another DWCO told you otherwise, he was mistaken, or may have been new or not from this area.  If the Coast Guard is enfocing VDSs on the Bay, that would be under Federal Law not State Law, although as was mentioned in a previous post, I do not it is law with them either.  That you may want to check directly with USCG.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/26 19:47:28 (permalink)

This is in Pa boating booklet where DWCO got his information.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/boatcrs/03boathandbook/legal6.htm
    This is from the USCG boating site. Since the opening of Presque Isle Bay is less than two mile it would not require the VDS.
    http://uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_vds.htm.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Visual Distress Equiptment 2008/05/27 02:31:20 (permalink)
    Correct because the channel is narrower than 2 mile, the bay is actually considered an inland estuary and not part of the main lake.  Saw and heard this explained to a few WCO's by the Coast Guard a few weeks back.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Visual Distress Equipment 2008/05/27 08:43:42 (permalink)
    DWCO, Is the D for Deputy?  as in Barny.  So no Lake Erie stamp is needed to fish the bay. And all the fines imposed   will be re funded to the anglers That did not have a lake Erie stamp and fished the bay. The bay is not the lake and you don't need a stamp. Barny I like you.

Don't need flares
    don't need a lake Erie stamp
    DO I need a throw able device.?
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Visual Distress Equipment 2008/05/27 09:39:02 (permalink)
    i was borded 2 times over the weekend, i  had the same question about my flares, they told me i can keep them in the boat BUT THEY HAVE TO BE SEPERATE FROM THE NEW FLARES. an thaat if you do get stuck you would use them first, they might work they might not work. its always good to have extra he said. he told me a story of a guy a few years ago that went through 18 flares!!!!! before some one saw them.. this was out of north east, the most i got is 10 flares. an i though i was killing it!
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Visual Distress Equipment 2008/05/27 09:42:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Presquisleanglr

DWCO, Is the D for Deputy?  as in Barny.  So no Lake Erie stamp is needed to fish the bay. And all the fines imposed   will be re funded to the anglers That did not have a lake Erie stamp and fished the bay. The bay is not the lake and you don't need a stamp. Barny I like you.

Don't need flares
    don't need a lake Erie stamp
    DO I need a throw able device.?

Need a stamp for the streams there Einstein.  Fishing regulations are a little different than the safety/boating oriented regulations.  The DWCO is trying to help out here and you come on busting on him.  Show at least a little respect and maybe some class, will you. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Visual Distress Equipment 2008/05/27 12:05:06 (permalink)
    Andy,

PI bay is SPECIFICALLY included in the LE stamp requirement.

2dog, and Musky,

Your responses, make sense. You can never have "too much" saftey equipment though.

DWCO,

Sorry I doubted you. Never considered the size of the channel/bay opening, and wanted to be sure it was not a matter of [individual officer interpretation], which I'm sure you'll agree does happen

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Visual Distress Equipment 2008/05/27 14:30:18 (permalink)
    Spoon,
    I agree the more the better, ( I do wish someone could make some flares that last a little longer) Between the two boats I run on erie, it gets to be a pain to remember to check the dates sometimes.

I actually didn't know this until I heard it from the CG guy at Ship Shape a few weeks ago. 

Also the fact that he was explaining it to the WCO's or Deputies, whatever they were, leads me to believe people will still be fined  by someone for it, but if they are they should fight it.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: