Streamers

Author
ronnie84
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/30 23:51:40 (permalink)

Streamers

Because I use WF line, I generally fish them like I would a nymph, casting upstream, throwing in a mend to get it down, dead drift it, let it swing and hang in the current for sometimes up to a minute. I've got quite a few fish on the dead drift. Hanging it out in the current has been producing a ton of strikes for me as of late but equally as frustrating with all the short strikes.

Anyway, just curious as to what everyone's favorite method is to fishing streamers...

10 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/01 15:41:49 (permalink)
    Ronnie-

It depends on water temp/flow/clarity I guess.  I'll dead drift them, swing them, and strip 'em too.  Fish aggressiveness is a factor too.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/01 18:34:20 (permalink)
    When i occasionally fish for stocked trout i only use a yellow maribou muddler and most fish for me come with the streamer just being held downstream in the fast water after the swing.

I do tie a stinger hook before dressing the pattern though which helps with the ones just nipping at the back end
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/01 19:42:46 (permalink)
    Forgot to add that I'll throw in some short or long, erratic strips at the very end as well. Basically four ways in one -- dead drift, swing, hang in the current and strip. If I find that they're hitting on one particular method I'll focus more on doing it and it only.

Interesting about the second hook, I'll definetely have to look into that because I've been missing probably 75 or 80% of the strikes lately. Something else to try, atleast this is what I read somewhere, is to not set the hook immediately and just let it sit there waiting for another strike. Reasoning is that trout (atleast rainbows) have a tendency to strike with the intentions of wounding a baitfish and more often than not will strike again.

By the way, this might sound retarded (I don't tie flies for the record), but how do you exactly add a trailer hook on streamers? I know the routine for spin fishing lures, but what about flies?
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/01 19:54:11 (permalink)
    I just tie a smaller hook to a short piece of mono, then lay it over the streamer hook and wrap the mono on top of the streamer hook from rear to front, then fold the remainder of mono toward the back and rewrap it again.

You also could lay a piece of mono/superline over the hook and tie it in then thread it thru a small hook eye then bring the piece of line back toward the front and go over it again. Either wat works. Then just tie your streamer fly as normal
    gatekeeper
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/01 22:34:43 (permalink)
    1 -Dead drifting under an indicator
    2 -Dead drift/High stick
    3 -twitching under an indicator (this has been a killer for me on the yough)
     I dont seem to do as well on the swing or hanging in the current.  The strikes I get I cant seem to hook up
    LaZeR09
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/04 23:27:27 (permalink)
    Most of my hits/catches come at the bottom of the swing or hanging an extended period of time in the current - like over 30 sec.s to 2 min.s

I have even caught some while walking with about 20' line/leader/tippet out to my side with the wooly bugger again just hanging out down stream in the current as I move along
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/05 01:40:58 (permalink)
    That would depend on the type of streamer....

Lyrical
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Streamers 2007/05/06 02:36:42 (permalink)
    Ronnie,
         I like to fish a streamer just like I would fish a minnow.  Sometimes I'll drift it but usually I'll pull it up from below me through the water just like fishing a live minnow.  I'll also twitch it and sometimes let it drop back a foot or two and move it from side to side in the water. Excellent question for discussion.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: Streamers 2007/06/11 00:30:28 (permalink)
    These have been outfishing caddis pupas and emergers some days here at Shenango, which is really saying something considering the rediculous amount of caddis coming off.

I've caught a few dead drifting and giving it a jigging motion through the drift (quietman mentioned something similar above). It's tough because to achieve the ideal jigging motion through the drift you have to keep a tight line but leave enough to keep the fly dead drifting. Also, the fly obviously either has to have a beadhead and/or a small split shot above to give it that action.

I've also found that with the fly hanging downstream, keeping the rod tip up in the 10 o'clock position and adding subtle, 3/4"-1" strips every 10-15 seconds or so has produced instant strikes. The key I've found here is to let the fly settle after it's swing before adding the small strips. I'm thinking with the fly hanging up near the surface it's drawing the trout in for a look and the small strip seals the deal (the strike is pretty instant after this). I caught a fairly sizeable catfish the other day with this method (yes, a catfish near the surface ).
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Streamers 2007/06/12 06:46:48 (permalink)
    What I've found to help me out while hanging the fly down below.It's tough to get a solid hookup that what.What I try to do if I get a strike while the fly is hanging there is NOT to lift the rod to set the hook , pull the line back with your free hand like you were stripping line back in
    Jump to: