The Little J

Author
GadaboutGaddus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/13 21:49:58 (permalink)

The Little J

Just a general question about this river! No need to give up any secrets! What kind of hatches can you expect this time of year? Also, how has the river been fishing? thank you for your replies!

May your fly rod always be bent!

12 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/13 23:01:56 (permalink)
    Sulphurs 14, 16
    Grey fox 12, 14
    tan caddis 16

These are the hatches you should expect.

The river has been fishing very well in between the heavy rains and high water we've been having. It should be fishable again on friday.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/05/13 23:03:31
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/23 09:16:48 (permalink)
    the little J just had a nice write up about it in Fly Fisherman magazine. July 2008 issue. Big browns is what it says....

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/23 09:41:44 (permalink)
    yeah -- good job slappy!!!! 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/25 09:37:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

the little J just had a nice write up about it in Fly Fisherman magazine. July 2008 issue. Big browns is what it says....

Yeah, it wasn't the train wreck I thought it would be, nonetheless, it had some misinformation in it.

It said the grannoms (brachycentrus) last 2 weeks. They do not. The grannoms last only a few days. They are followed by the little black caddis (chimarra). They look somewhat alike, but are different bugs. Someone who calls themselves a guide should know that.

Also, he says the green drakes bring the big fish to the surface. We have so few green drakes on the Little J, that nearly no fish rise to them. It is not a fishable hatch.

He mentions the two best caddis hatches are the grannoms and the Ryachophilla. The Ryachophilla are a fishable hatch, but are way out numbered by the Chimarra which hatch at the same time. He doesn't even mention the Chimarra.

When he talks about why he wrote the article, he essentially says that he wants to bring more people to the river so the river has more friends. Yes, I agree with him that the river could use as many friends as it can get, but does he realize that the Little Juniata Association which he talks highly of, is trying to eliminate a lot of those friends because they carry spinning rods and not fly rods? The people that article will bring in, will fish for a weekend, and likely never come back. They are not friends of the river. The true friends of the river are the fishermen who pick up litter, keep a watchfull eye out for threats, and dont try to close a section of river on behalf of the SRC. Plenty of the people who do this carry spinning rods, and not fly rods like the rest of us. If we eliminate them, we eliminate watchfull eyes.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/05/25 09:39:02
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/25 09:43:44 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot to mention the LJ should look pretty good this week. If you guys want to fish let me no.

I'm going to camp along the clarion today and tomorrow, I almost wish I wasn't considering I have to drive across the little J to get there.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 09:54:05 (permalink)
    is this the same stream that eveyone coplained about donny beaver putting big fish in and feeding them dog food....now everyone hones in on it and fishes it?   just curious?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 10:41:11 (permalink)
    Are you just curious?  Or trying to start trouble, like before?  It appears, just as before, you think we're fishing for beaver's tard fish while complaining about him dumping those fish in there and feeding them.  That is false.  We've already discussed this numerous times.  We've "honed" in on it before SRC came to town.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 11:02:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tommybanzai

is this the same stream that eveyone coplained about donny beaver putting big fish in and feeding them dog food....now everyone hones in on it and fishes it?   just curious?

People do not "hone in on it" because of beaver's hatcherytards. It is moreso popular because it has great hatches and plenty of wild and fingerling stocked browns. I'm sure a few people do fish the little J because of beavers fish, but not many.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 13:59:26 (permalink)
    tommybanzi,
          The Little "J"  was an excellent semi-native fishing stream long before D. Beeve got his pasty little fingers into the pie.  The best thing about the J is that it was never a "put-and-take" fishery, you actually had to FISH to get anything out of the J.  And since it was so nice to fish, and the hatches were very nice to fish, very few people advertised the niceness of the river.   There are some fish in the more inaccessable parts of the river that would make lunch out of Beavees hatchery tards.
          Don beaver recognized the fineness of the river and has set about trying to monopolize it for himself and his "clients".  This has only ruined the part of the river from Spruce Creek down.  Above Spruce the river is pretty much the way it has been for years except for more fishing pressure due to more articles about it being the "next greatest thing". 
          There are still spots on the river where a fisherman can find some solitude and can catch and release wary fish that need to be fished for; not "Gawrsh, I caught 8 fish using a Zebco 33 and Delmonte corn in 20 minutes".  I would venture to say that 99% of the people who appreciate the "J" deplore what Don has done.  But since he dumped his deformed, hatchery fish in the river we have a good time catching them and it just makes him mad that he can't have his own way.
         So if a person wants to FISH  (to try to catch a fish  (Websters dictionary)) they will go above Spruce.  If they want to CATCH they fish below Spruce.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 14:21:03 (permalink)
    Yea and you def can tell a one of those tard from a native. 2 of the tards I caught fought like a waleye... one simi good pull then seemed like they died while the one brown I caught that was half their size put up the best fight of its life. Id like to try to get up there during prime hatch time, never really got to ever fish with sulphers during a heavy hatch. Im guess thats a hell of a site when there is a good hatch coming off. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 17:51:38 (permalink)
    kyler,
         I've said it before and I'll say it again you don't have to fish the hatches to get fish on the "J"!   Try fishing for the fish that FEED on the fish that are rising for the flies.  Your success rate will be down but the WOW factor goes through the roof.  Try late evening, BIG flies, and fish em slow.  Sculpins fished deep over cover is the ticket in my book.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: The Little J 2008/05/27 19:41:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I have 2 friends that have fished up around there a few times before, but never went with them. I do remember the post from the past where everyone was complaining about the stocked fish and ruining the hatches or whatever...just couldn't remember if it was the J or Spruce. Oh well, maybe one of these days I will see first hand how well this fishing real estate s there.

Fish
    On!
    Jump to: