Real Smallmouth Question

Author
mkin183
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/03 16:16:07 (permalink)

Real Smallmouth Question

Today was the first time I fished lake erie for smallmouth from a boat. I did a ton of research before I went out. My plan was to use tubes, drop-shot worms and deep diving crankbaits. I was targeting structure and points in 5-15 feet of water. All I got with the tubes and drop-shot was a ton of snags and no fish. I used just enough weight to keep it near the bottom. I got a bunch of fish on the crankbaits but I was very dissapointed with the other rigs after reading so much about them and how well they work. Lets hear some ideas on what I should try to do it better for nest time.

4 Replies Related Threads

chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Real Smallmouth Question 2008/05/03 19:19:15 (permalink)
    One of my favorite erie smallie techniques is to use a simple 3" black curltail on a 1/16 or so jighead.   If youre drifting fast enough you can just drag it on the bottom while popping the rod, and if theres no wind then cast and do the same thing.  

If youre interested pm me and we can talk baits and locations.  (I might even let you in on a few of my secrets)  I'm big on trying different stuff so I could give you alot of ideas on techniques.

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Real Smallmouth Question 2008/05/04 00:20:00 (permalink)
    You may want to go and purchase some blade baits,.Read the fishing report from the Georgia-Ohio guys.I have always had luck on them,just go buy a couple of each different brands and give it a shot in some deeper water around 15-35 feet.I am planning a trip during next week and am going to use same stuff.Some guys use just silver ones and some gold only,but I use both depending on what they hitting with the conditions for the day.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Real Smallmouth Question 2008/05/04 00:34:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like you were using too much weight and dragging the bottom.  Drops shots aren't for dragging and don't snag that often.  Your tubes may have also been too heavy.  Go deeper with those rigs, especially the drop shots.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Real Smallmouth Question 2008/05/04 07:30:21 (permalink)
    I was there yesterday and didn't catch squat. But of the four hours I fished, I spent 1/2 my time fishing the 20 to 25 ft depth. That's where I ussually catch them this time of year. I did spend a couple hours jigging in shallower water but that didn't yield anything either. After we were done fishing, I was talking to a couple guys that said they did pretty well in the morning. They said they were using jerk baits in about 7 ft of water.

I noticed the surface temp was only 48 degrees yesterday. Over the years, for my first weekend on the water in May, the surface temp is 52 degrees. Someone else I was talking to mentioned that the big cold front that came through the previous 3 days cooled the water down pretty good and that's probably what affected the fishing.
    Jump to: