forum for ride alongs

Author
mikelravy
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 163
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/29 09:39:57 (permalink)

forum for ride alongs

With the increase in gas prices, I suspect many boaters might be willing to take along a passenger who would share expenses.  I see a fair number of boats out with only one or two people in them, which is not the most cost effective plan. Would an online sign-up sheet help accomodate this? Does this run afoul of any regulations?

11 Replies Related Threads

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 09:54:21 (permalink)
    I know that it i have heard in the past that it was illegal to accept even gas money without a captains license...I do not know if that was ever lifted or ever enforced....Any of our captain crowd care to elaborate on that?

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 10:04:31 (permalink)
    That is a great idea . However the Commonwealth may see a problem with that as they are not getting "their" cut along with PA Fish & Boat Commission that may with frequently harass you with accuasations of running a charter service . The proprosed board would most likely be subject to an "enhanced oppurtunity tax" whereas the state is entitled to 10% of the cost savings to fund Erie public transportation and also a 20% premium for alcohol consumption on said vessel.

I would be one of the willing ride along (boating) participants if the anglers do not have a problem using my equipment in lieu of thier own (for consistency of angling effort) with exception to perch fishing I do not like having different rod action , line diameters on my walleye / steelhead trolling spread .
    fishinbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 11:12:45 (permalink)
    There is no problem sharing ,with the costs of the trip . plus carpooling will cut down pollution .
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 14:24:14 (permalink)
    Boat will be up and running next week.  Always looking for some company.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 14:26:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Boat will be up and running next week.  Always looking for some company.

Are you a penguins fan?
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 15:23:19 (permalink)
    Screw the state!  If I invite a friend to join me on my vessel for a days worth of fishing, there is NOTHING they can do about it.  If he offers to donate for expenses, there is nothing wrong with that either.  I'm sick of hearing all this whining about money and guides getting undercut.  Nothing against the guides, I respect most of them and their know how, but they are getting raped by the state and laws and insurances alike.  They need to stand up against this crap for themselves.  My passion was to someday become a guide myself, and I did it for a short while(before all the new laws), but with all the crap you have to go through in this state, its hardly worth it anymore.  They hardly make enough money in our region before all the bills etc.  I'm almost ready to educate people for FREE and theres NOTHING anybody can do about that!!  I'd love to start my own service where I take people out...the more unforunate if you will (NOT the wealthy) and they can help pay for expenses for the day.  I donate my time and knowledge and they donate toward the expenses.   I WOULDN'T make any money at it, so the state can't gouge me any more than they already do.  And the few people who are just passionate about getting out there fishing, including myself, are happy and we conserve!!

Oh and by the way, ANYONE who is passionate about fishing and would like to get out on the big pond sometime or anyplace else, I'd be glad to take you fishing in the event that I have an open seat!  PM me.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/04/29 16:39:43

masterangler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/04/29 18:53:23 (permalink)
    This is a great idea. 3 of us are going to NY to fish the eastern basin may27-31. Camping w/ 2 boats.Have space for 1. PM w/ your phone number.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/05/01 16:27:36 (permalink)
    Down on the Texas coast, most of the recreational guys down there take on ride alongs; otherwise, they wouldn't be able to afford to fish.  Running anywhere from 40-100+ miles offshore, fishing all day or pulling an overnighter tuna fishing, then running home eats up lots of gas (Not to mention bait, a couple hundred pounds of ice, beer for the crew and beer to trade with the shrimp boats for bait and fresh shrimp, lost equipment, etc.)  You think great lakes fishing is pricey, you should see what it costs for a day offshore down there! 

And count me in as one of the ride a longs if space is available later on this summer.  I used to first mate and my dad and I ran our own boat out there for many years. 

Just post up when a spot becomes available.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/05/01 17:25:33 (permalink)
    My guess is that there is nothing wrong with people hooking up, no pun intended, to share the cost of expenses.  That sounds reasonable.  Where a problem would be if someone was charging people to fish with them and acting as a guide or charter captain without having the proper license and insurance. 

I would caution anyone however who is thinking about taking someone with them that they do not know.  It might be worth your while to get a little background on them before hand or you may end up fishing with someone who could drive you crazy.  You might want to make sure they are not going to do anything stupid like bring drugs with them.  All you need is a stoner on your boat smoking a joint when the PA Fish and Boat Commission officer pulls up to check you out...

One other issue might be liability.  I would assume invited guests on your boat would be covered by your insurance as long as they were guests, but it would not hurt to check in advance just to be sure. 

pax vobiscum +
    MICK FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/05/02 00:30:46 (permalink)
    I would love the chance to get out with anyone that has an open seat this year for walleye or perch!  I live just off 79 in Grove City and can car pull from there.  I am experienced with walleye fishing Erie.  You can do a background check if you'd like!  PM me anytime you want to go.  I am off Fridays and Saturdays, but can make other arrangements almost anytime with a little notice.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: forum for ride alongs 2008/05/02 00:55:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Screw the state!  If I invite a friend to join me on my vessel for a days worth of fishing, there is NOTHING they can do about it.  If he offers to donate for expenses, there is nothing wrong with that either.  I'm sick of hearing all this whining about money and guides getting undercut.  Nothing against the guides, I respect most of them and their know how, but they are getting raped by the state and laws and insurances alike.  They need to stand up against this crap for themselves.  My passion was to someday become a guide myself, and I did it for a short while(before all the new laws), but with all the crap you have to go through in this state, its hardly worth it anymore.  They hardly make enough money in our region before all the bills etc.  I'm almost ready to educate people for FREE and theres NOTHING anybody can do about that!!  I'd love to start my own service where I take people out...the more unforunate if you will (NOT the wealthy) and they can help pay for expenses for the day.  I donate my time and knowledge and they donate toward the expenses.   I WOULDN'T make any money at it, so the state can't gouge me any more than they already do.  And the few people who are just passionate about getting out there fishing, including myself, are happy and we conserve!!

Oh and by the way, ANYONE who is passionate about fishing and would like to get out on the big pond sometime or anyplace else, I'd be glad to take you fishing in the event that I have an open seat!  PM me.

shut, you're a rebel.....put it to them, guy....i am your alibi.

Jump to: