Ramp Etiquette

Author
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/28 21:48:27 (permalink)

Ramp Etiquette

I found this on another Site and thought since the boating season is upon us I would poat it

Entering the water:
#1- Prep the boat before you actually get to the water.  You will anger a lot of people if you pull down the ramp apron and then stop and proceed to undo straps, take the cover off, etc..  You can undo everything and take off all unnecessary equipment, before you get to the launch. 
#2- Take turns, and be patient.  Believe it or not, there is usually an order to the chaos on the ramps.  For the most part, people keep track of who is next in line.  Pay attention, and stake out the situation before actually plowing down the ramp. 
#3- Standardize your launch process.   There are many techniques boaters use to actually get the boat in the water.  Any method is o.k. just as long as you are comfortable with it.  But if you get a routine down, then you can save time and hassle.

Feel free to add as you see fit

Have a safe season everybody

29 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/28 21:51:24 (permalink)
    #4 Practice, Practice, Practice.....go when there is low traffic and get comfortable, before you have to do it in front of a crowd where stage fright is a definite possibility.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/28 21:54:54 (permalink)
    Don't forget to mention for those who launch, to move their boat to an area AWAY from the launch itself as they wait for their vehicle to be parked.  And if they are alone, to tie their boat up AWAY from the launch area to go park their vehicles.  This makes for more efficient and quicker moving lines at the launch.

dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 07:42:47 (permalink)
    #5 LEARN TO BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 08:26:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dakotab

#5 LEARN TO BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be talking to me. I still am a little iffy on that one.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 08:58:56 (permalink)
    You are talking to a brick wall if you are referring to the walnut creek irregulars...lol

You can always tell who has been there before...and who hasnt real fast while launching and loading...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 09:22:30 (permalink)
    I agree with you Skip.  I've been having problems with a launch around my home in Pittsburgh.  My buddy and I have it down as far as launching and taking my boat out of the water.  There have been several cases were others take there good old time and don't pay any attention to others who want to fish.  It's very disrespectful!  Just this past weekend it took two guys almost an hour to put there boat in the water.  Didn't have any of the prep work done and screwed up me as long as others for way to long.  It doesn't take a brain surgeon to launch a boat.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 09:25:24 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          Here's a tip I've tried and It works!  Have a shop put a ball on the front of your pick-up then you can push the boat into the water.  Makes backing the empty trailer out a bit of a chore but once you're out it only takes a minute to turn around and re-hook for pulling.  That minute is much better than the 20 minutes that some people take while trying to back in.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 09:39:04 (permalink)
    7.)do not leave your boat on the launch.  I have seen this happen when one disconnects all trailer ties and  makes a sudden stop.

8.) do not forget to disconnect the stern ties before backing in.  This happen to two older guys one spring, it was windy and the boat and trailer was blown  in such a way that hey could not pull the trailer out.  Two of us younger guys went in ( I was young once), and tied  another rope to the traler and pulled to straighten it out.

Bottom line is not to get so panic at the sight of such a long line that one makes a stupid mistake  and that others realize that with a little help, that long line could move a heck of a lot faster.

Just my 2 cents.
    joedirt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 09:59:53 (permalink)
    #10. Dont be afraid to offer some assistance.

I was waiting to put my boat in Erie one time. There was 2 guys and a hot blonde girl. They had 2 PWC's and the 2 guys were already on them. they had the blonde trying to back them in the water. She was having a rough time and they were leting her know about it. If I was her I think I would of hopped out and left the whole rig take a swim. I offerd my help, she gladly excepted. I had the 2 butt heads in the water in a few seconds. The 2 guys never said thanks, they just hotshot out of there like typical a#$ h*^@. NOW the hard part was do I take off with their girlfriend because right about now I was her hero or do I park and go fishing? 

Well I have to tell ya we caught a lot of Walleyes that day.  

If you want good pratice backing up, try backing a full hay wagon up a ramp into a barn. If anyone has tried this you know what I am talking about. you will be able to back any boat in the water after you mastered the hay wagon. 

"Life is a garden, Dig It"
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 10:13:32 (permalink)
    #11 ) Treat others as you would like to be treated . Everyone is of different skill levels on many aspects of boat operation have patience and be courteous we all started somewhere although some quicker learners than others .
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 10:34:48 (permalink)
    #12 Dont be stupid....
    #13 You dont own the boat launch (no matter how much you think you do)
    #14 Dont drive into the docked boats (Ive seen it!!!)
    #15 PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!
    #16 Dont Yell at anyone...They may throw hot coffee in your face (SEEN THIS Happen too)
    #17 TURN OFF YOUR F'N HEADLIGHTS YOU @SSHOLE...All trucks have the ability to have their headlights turn off as much as you disagree...Read your owners manual...Others would like to launch too...And really cannot see with you high beams in all their mirrors...and according to #13 YOU DONT OWN THE BOAT LAUNCH

If you avoid those above laws you may recieve the following punishments:
    A stern scolding with curse words, Hot Coffee in the face, or even an unwanted swim in your favorite marina or boat launch...lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 10:45:08 (permalink)
    Almost forgot the most important thing

PUT YOUR PLUG IN

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 11:01:06 (permalink)
    I can have my boat in the water in about 5 mins, which I dont feel is bad for a rookie.
    Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 11:01:27 (permalink)
    A funny thing I see all the time but not funny for the boat owner is they forget to lift their out drive when pulling the boat out of the water. Makes one heck of a noise..Also after pulling out pull way ahead of the ramp so people can swing around and back in to launch. Lots of times people will be in the way putting their straps back on. Thinking of ramps I usally launch at East ave. did any one ever watch the local kids swimming in the launch area? The launch area is a dead spot not much fresh water flow in there and  gets stagnant in mid summer, dead rotten fish in there its a bit nasty. Its a wonder that those kids dont get Polio or scabies or something. It turns my stomach to see a kid ramp his bike off the dock onto a dead carp then swim for his bike and pull it out and do it over and over. Looks like fun but not to healthy.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 11:20:58 (permalink)
    I may not own the ramp but, I can't stand watching some donkey's hind part take 10 attempts at managing to take up two ramps with his boat and truck parked in there about as crooked as the child custody laws in PA.
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 12:30:03 (permalink)
    There was 3 kids swimming at East ave Saturday. Are they nuts???? That water had to be freezing

The World is a Vampire
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 14:21:08 (permalink)
    I believe that you should learn to launch you boat BY YOURSELF.  Go to a ramp at a non-busy time and spend 30 to 45 min putting it in and out by yourself.  I can launch my 24' on my own faster than 80% of the teams of idiots you see at the walnut zoo.  If you practice by yourself, when you have a partner there you can tell him exactly what you want to do instead of him freelancing and creating confusion and a general cluster*%#&. 

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 15:37:53 (permalink)
    I like #10

Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 16:54:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joedirt

#10. Dont be afraid to offer some assistance.

I was waiting to put my boat in Erie one time. There was 2 guys and a hot blonde girl. They had 2 PWC's and the 2 guys were already on them. they had the blonde trying to back them in the water. She was having a rough time and they were leting her know about it. If I was her I think I would of hopped out and left the whole rig take a swim. I offerd my help, she gladly excepted. I had the 2 butt heads in the water in a few seconds. The 2 guys never said thanks, they just hotshot out of there like typical a#$ h*^@. NOW the hard part was do I take off with their girlfriend because right about now I was her hero or do I park and go fishing? 

Well I have to tell ya we caught a lot of Walleyes that day.  

If you want good pratice backing up, try backing a full hay wagon up a ramp into a barn. If anyone has tried this you know what I am talking about. you will be able to back any boat in the water after you mastered the hay wagon. 

I agree with the hay wagon. Backing the hay wagon into a barn with a few inches on each side is much much harder, plus the tongue on the hay wagon is diff ,and much harder.

We just got a boat, only launched it a few times, but I must say.....its probably the easiest thing I have ever done. I was nervous at first but if you cant launch and load a boat.....you probably shouldnt be driving a truck with a trailer behind it.
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 17:57:29 (permalink)
    Backing up a hay wagon is the absolute moment of truth.
    But I think you gotta make lemonade. Couple of 4ths of July ago I was on the back of my pals cruiser watching the very drunk trying to get their boats out. Best comedy show I saw that summer. Guys were trying to drive on and would miss, or drive just about into the trunk. Boats falling off trailers, people falling in all over the place, and lots of hot drunk babes to keep an eye on. Great show.
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 18:40:06 (permalink)
    There is an ethical question. What would you do if you saw obviously drunk people that were either going to drive their boat or drive their vehicle

The World is a Vampire
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 18:53:12 (permalink)
    See if I could bum a beer?

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/29 22:29:03 (permalink)
    If you never backed a boat up, practice in an empty parking lot till your used to turning the wheel in the right direction. Too many people know nothing about backing up. Frustrating waiting for someone that takes up 2 lanes.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/30 00:36:38 (permalink)
    For those too proud to ask,
    Here is an easy technique

Whether using your mirrors or looking over your shoulder. 
    Put your hand at 6:00 on the steering wheel and move your hand the direction you want the trailer to go.
    Go slow and make small adjustments (like a quarter turn of the wheel).

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/30 06:45:48 (permalink)
    Had a buddy of mine that was totally worthless at backing up his boat. Owned it for 20 yrs still can't back up straight.
    We went to Chautauqua once and launched at Bemis point. 4 attempts got the boat in the water. When he gets back to the boat he realizes the plug is not in and we are taking on water. We try to find the plug hole but cant reach it. So he decides to get the trailer and reload the boat. After a 6 or so attempts to get the empty trailer in he pulls up and unhooks. There is a car in the next lane that just loaded a big boat and it took all the weight of the drive axles and he was stuck(he would have hit them if they didn't move.). My buddy pulled him out hooked back up finally got the trailer in the water reloaded the boat,drained the water,launched again.What a **** fiasco. Too top it all off all of our dry outer clothing was stowed in the rod locker that flooded. Last time I road with that captain. He is the type of fella that any help offered would be taken as a personal attack to his manhood so all we could do was sit back and watch as we coward in the boat trying to hide from the many onlookers waiting to use the ramp.
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/04/30 06:47:36

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/04/30 16:02:14 (permalink)
    I, and my crew have launching both my boats pretty well organized. However, I was part of the helpless crowd a couple weeks ago.

We went out on a buddy's, buddy's boat on an electric only lake. The wind was howling crosswise to the ramp, and combined with the fact that his electric was bow mounted. It made it d@mned near impossioble to line up both the bow, and the transom at the same time. Took a good fifteen minutes of pushing off, and trying get the timing right to pull on.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Frenchy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/05/02 17:22:11 (permalink)
    When I launch I have a mental checklist that i try and do in the same order every time. I tell whoever is with me to put their hands in their pockets. Whenever someone tries to help me it just messes me up and then I'll make a mistake. I've probably lauched my boat 200 times it really gets easier after the first 50 times. Sure I still make some mistakes and I've learned to laugh at myself over them. Some of the best laughs to be had are at the boatlaunch. Take a cooler and a lawnchair sometime leave the boat at home. You'll learn a lot of things that you don't want to do.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/05/04 02:22:51 (permalink)
    Saw a woman trying to back up a trailer for it seemed the first time ever with her boyfriend/husband waitiing in the water at South Side launch in Pittsburgh on a weekend evening a few years ago while 5+ other boats were waiting to dock.There was only one dock at the time so only 2 boats could use it.She took about 10 minutes back it down into the water,her man then drives the boat on the trailer even though it was mostly out of the water.He yells for her to hook the bow up and start cranking,but as she was hooking it up,he gunned it and almost crushed her head between the stop and the bow.She had her head hit so hard she was checking for blood.I have a feeling she wouldn't have been able to drive the boat.It is worth it to have another person who is somewhat familiar with launching a boat if it is going to be a crowded dock,even if you must ask another person to help you that is nearby that could speed up the process.Most of the guys on here I'm sure have no problem.
    post edited by gobyking - 2008/05/04 04:55:43
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ramp Etiquette 2008/05/04 15:06:35 (permalink)
    Also remember to pay attention to the wind if you are launching at multiple ramp facility.   It is a lot eaiser to launch and handle the boat when the wind will pin it against the dock, than when it is pushing it away...

Jump to: