Palaminos and Tigers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Palaminos and Tigers 2008/04/24 21:44:02 (permalink)
Sculpin 14,

{quote}
sorry to say egg, but I hate to see those fish taken off the streams, at least this early, my view on these hybrids is that there more for the kids.

{reply} here is my thoughts on this #1 thier are many stream/lake areas and special events for kids as it is now and yes it is a good thing but also has it draw backs as well. If a kid gets spoiled to easy kids areas and events when they get older and have to fish were everyone else does with the same odds thier is a good possiblity they could loose interest as well because they have to work for it.

We all have our opions likes and dislikes thats what makes this world a great place. If we all thought the same it would be a very boring place for sure. Saying all the hybrids( and a palamino is not a hybrid) is like saying all big deer racks should be for kids. That in my opion is rediculus for sure. I get most of my bigger fish by driving many miles using 100's of gallons of gas and walking miles of streams and fishing countless hrs to catch these fish. Also I buy my licence every year just like every one else and it is my right to catch and keep any and all legaly caught in season while obeying daliey limits. On and average year I will keep 2-10 stocked trout per year while releasing 100's to 1000's each year. This was the first time Mary and myself ever landed any Tiger trout in a public water way so it was a great achevment for us. Granted I have landed them before but out of a pay to play stream and its just not the same at all. This was Marys first ever Palamino trout and she wanted to keep it for a mount. Most other trout we keep go to her parents to eat as they like them.

{quote}I think there should be some kind of regulation on the hybrids, like you can only keep them if there between 12" and 18" or something, that way more people have a chance to catch a neat trout.

{reply} not sure how many stockings or streams you have been on but most{not all} palaminos and tigers stocked are in the 12-18 inch range so you thoughts on a reg like this would not work one bit at all. 2 out of my 3 kids have already landed a Palamino and my daughter has done it twice now. Not sure why the state does not stock alot more Palaminos as they do not cost much more to bread and rasie then a normal rainbow trout as that is what they are a true rainbow , just with a different color pattern.First ever was born in 1954 in West Virgina from 2 normal Rainbows making it a true rainbow with a wierd color pattern. pennsylvania started stocking them state wide in 1967 and have done so since but would mate a normal rainbow with a golden ranibow making a palamino but have stopped doing that and now are mating goldens with goldens to get a better looking fish on average. even when mating a golden with a golden you will still get normal rainbows in the mix. Also alot of the fish I keep I save for myself as I am teaching myself how to do taxidermisty and they are good sized fish to pratice with. As for the tigers I was lucky to be thier when they stocked them and unless many more were caught in that area thier should still be at least 15-20 still swimming thier. I am all for C&R and do lost of it but it is my right to keep a few trout , a few Ny Browns/kings and enough panfish to feed myself and friends each year. I enjoy all aspects of fishing and fish spin , fly and centerpin depending on my mood and the area I fish. Not starting a debait here just stating my opions on the matter.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Palaminos and Tigers 2008/04/24 23:49:35 (permalink)
Considering that the only state with more miles of stream than us is Alaska, I thing pfbc does a pretty good job

Better too far back, than too far forward.
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Palaminos and Tigers 2008/04/25 09:08:05 (permalink)
Egg, Sac
I missed my shot at my wall hanger, hooked a 23" pali on brown woolley bugger, had it on for a total of 1.5 seconds. Must made 75 cast at this fish and on # 76 it decides to eat !!!  Slow and too hard on the hookset. I know how big it was because a buddy of mine cousin's CPR"d it they day before. I'll try to get him tomorrow, plus I found two more in another spot. Just have to see how much time I have this weekend, gotta coach three differnt soccer games sat-sun, plus the Pens play twice fri-sun too.

GO PENS !!!!!
Sculpin 14
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 429
RE: Palaminos and Tigers 2008/04/25 09:39:49 (permalink)
Egg.....I didnt meen to single you out by all means, it was just a general statement and all the points you made are all true and I agree with them, I just kinda get irratated this time of year seeing all the trout harvested out of the stream, at least your utilizing the trout to its fullest, just knowing that stringers of fish will sit in someones freezer for a year and then be thrown out later......

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: Palaminos and Tigers 2008/04/25 10:25:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

Egg.....I didnt meen to single you out by all means, it was just a general statement and all the points you made are all true and I agree with them, I just kinda get irratated this time of year seeing all the trout harvested out of the stream, at least your utilizing the trout to its fullest, just knowing that stringers of fish will sit in someones freezer for a year and then be thrown out later......

Am right thier with ya hate to see anything ever waisted. It never bothered me to see a few jumbo trout leave on stringers but to see limit after limit be taken just to be taken and not used is a true shame. I personaly eat alot of fish every year mostly panfish and walleye and buy time end of winter comes around I am jonesing for more fish to eat as my freezer is emptyof them again. I try to preserve themas best as possible and freeze all to be eatin in quart sized bags with water in them to keep the meat fresh possible. Any and all fish used for mounting I will take the time to flush the gills out clean it up good and sprinkle some 20 mule team borax on them , make sure they are nice and damp before I freeze them.even go as far as fold carbord along tail fin and tape up so it can not get broken in the freezer. used to hunt small game alot and while I did eat the rabbits I killed I did not eat the squirals but knew someone that did and gave them to him.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Palaminos and Tigers 2008/04/25 11:39:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: egg sac

ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

Am right thier with ya hate to see anything ever waisted. It never bothered me to see a few jumbo trout leave on stringers but to see limit after limit be taken just to be taken and not used is a true shame. I personaly eat alot of fish every year mostly panfish and walleye and buy time end of winter comes around I am jonesing for more fish to eat as my freezer is emptyof them again. I try to preserve themas best as possible and freeze all to be eatin in quart sized bags with water in them to keep the meat fresh possible. Any and all fish used for mounting I will take the time to flush the gills out clean it up good and sprinkle some 20 mule team borax on them , make sure they are nice and damp before I freeze them.even go as far as fold carbord along tail fin and tape up so it can not get broken in the freezer. used to hunt small game alot and while I did eat the rabbits I killed I did not eat the squirals but knew someone that did and gave them to him.

I agree completely ! If you keep it, mount it or eat it. I'm 99% CPR,
Haven't kept a fish for the wall in about 4 years, though not from lack of trying. I give my dad ONE limit of trout a season, he loves to eat them. Charters are another story, you pay for them, so I'm eating them. With hunting, if I'm shooting it, I'm eating it. I shot a Texas
Dall Sheep and it wasn't the best, but I ate in shiskabobs, RAMBURGERS & RAMBURGER HELPER.
Wasting fish is a crime, if you have to keep fish to prove to your buddies that you caught some, buy a camera. If you can eat that many, then so be it, its your right. Just don't waste them.

post edited by JEB - 2008/04/25 11:40:35
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: