Sea Foam

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/21 10:03:37 (permalink)

Sea Foam

I hear some good things about this stuff on here and other boating sites.  Is it worth running through for the following.

Motor 1 - Takes forever to start cold, but fires right up when warm (including 2-3 hours after first started).  Motor itself runs great, and no strange sounds.  50hp Yamaha

Motor 2 - Starts fine, even when cold (If I have the kill switch in correct position...).  Stalls out at trolling speeds.  15hp Evinrude  I think adjusting idle would solve, but would troll faster than I'd like.

Would Gumout do the same thing as Sea Foam?

9 Replies Related Threads

PumaJeff
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/21 10:24:39 (permalink)
    try some Seafoam, it can't hurt.

I've been using it in all my boats, ATVs, and lawnmowers for years. GREAT stuff!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/21 11:57:33 (permalink)
    Stalls out at trolling speeds. 15hp Evinrude I think adjusting idle would solve, but would troll faster than I'd like.

Try lower pitch prop
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/22 04:22:24 (permalink)
    The problem with motor 1 sounds like it is not getting enough fuel for cold starting. Try priming it more.

As for motor 2, what rpm is it running at when it's stalling? If the idle is set lower than the factory recommended setting, that could cause it to stall. If it's trolling to fast at the lowest recommended rpm, then like pghmarty said, try a different prop. Just make sure it doesn't exceed max recommended rpm at WOT.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/22 10:12:05 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. 

I am pretty sure motor #2 might be an easy fix with the idle.  I do remember the guy that I bought it off of, playing around with the idle.  Likely set it too low.

With both, I am planning on doing some visual inspections of the fuel lines, and carbuerators.  Make sure they are fully closed and make sure they aren't gunked up.  I have read that spraying Gumout or any carb cleaner on a 2 stroke is not a good idea.  Hopefully won't have to rebuild either, but doesn't sound like too hard of a task.  Rather be fishing on a weekend day off though.  I guess that is what evenings are for.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/23 09:08:18 (permalink)
    BTW, based on my experiences with the Seafoam product, I would say that it is always a good idea to periodically use Seafoam.

I bought my first can of SeaFoam about 7 yrs ago. At that time, I was skeptical about SeaFoam. About 5 yrs ago, I had stabilized the full tank of fuel in my Yamaha inline 4 street bike in late October (I add stabilizer before the gas so as to mix it up and I run the bike to disperse the stabilizer throughout the fuel system). Despite stabilizing the fuel, in the January that followed, the bike would not run with the choke turned off. I figured the low speed jets in the carbs has become gummy and would need a rebuild. Just for kicks, I added a pint of Seafoam to the tank. I rocked the bike back and forth to mix it the best I could. I started the bike and ran it for about an hour. At the end of that hour, the bike would run with the choke off, but would still bog when I cracked the throttle. Figuring that maybe the chemicals in the SeaFoam needed a little time to completely do the job, I let it sit for a week. The following week, the bike ran like it was brand new.

I have another Seafoam success story, but I'm sure I've already bored everyone enough.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/23 13:05:10 (permalink)
    Brad1,

Any success stories with the spray?  I just noticed that I used Seafoam as my stabilizer for the gas tanks over the winter (advise from the Advanced Autoparts associate).  Hopefully getting that treated gas flowing through the larger motor might clear the starting thing up?  I plan on putting the remainder of the can in my other motor's tank.  Just about every outboard discussion board has a handful of members that swear by that stuff.  Most seem to use the mix stuff though.  Haven't heard much feedback on the spray.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/23 16:13:51 (permalink)
    I love Sea Foam! It's the best fuel additive ever. I think it blows Gumout away. I use it in everything from my Classic Mustang to my weed wacker!
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/23 16:48:09 (permalink)
    Porktown,

I used the spray for the 1st time last summer. I have an older lawnboy lawnmower that I took out of storage that hadn't been run in 9 years. I took the carb apart and sprayed some Seafoam into the jets / orafices. Used some light compressed air. The lawnmower ran great after that.

Brad
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Sea Foam 2008/04/25 11:23:43 (permalink)
    I put Sea Foam in every tank full (6 gal tank) for my 15 hp Johnson.  Been running fine w/ no problems.  Many of the guys on walleyecentral_com use it religiously in their high priced, new walleye rigs without any problems. 
    Jump to: