Pymatuning Horespower!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/06 16:10:44 (permalink)
Just got a reply from Deborah Newcombs office thanking me for my input and saying they are considering and going to meet w/Pa people but it would not effect the 2008 boating season due to length of session etc. if they do vote for HP increase.
TBS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/06 21:11:48 (permalink)
Well I fished a tourney at Pymo last weekend & not one of us were checked & Pa fish cops were present for weigh in. There were a few boats there with 30's on them. Your guess is good as mine.

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern
Lundrunner
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/06 21:23:36 (permalink)
Crappiechuck,

I appreciate your consideration of the information on this thread and share your interest in not making Pymatuning a speedboat lake.  It's great everyone has came to this common position.   It's the only way we will get progress on this.  I have sent my emails.

Lundrunner
post edited by Lundrunner - 2008/05/06 23:11:26
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/06 23:55:41 (permalink)
received the same reply as elephant,  foot dragging it appears.  she claims she needs ample time to study this problem.  her predecesors said the same.  this has been an on going issue for years and some resolution is needed.
post edited by rapala11 - 2008/05/10 21:34:14

just keep a few
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/10 21:32:42 (permalink)
Anybody hear how the meeting went on Friday?
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/10 21:35:02 (permalink)
will send another e-mail to rep. newcomb and post results.

ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/11 00:26:30 (permalink)
Just FYI.......I was informed that a change will take probably a year. The representative needs to introduce a bill, it needs to go through the house and be voted on. If it is introduced, it will pass, but's that's a slow process.
Z06 Rat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/12 14:00:33 (permalink)
I have also sent an email to Representative Newcomb and one of her aides responded.  I have pasted the response below:

Thank you for your email regarding the horsepower limits on Pymatuning Lake.  Representative Newcomb asked me to respond to your email because she values the opinions of both Ohio and Pennsylvania residents who enjoy boating on the lake.

Representative Newcomb is presently conducting research to determine if raising the horsepower limits on Pymatuning Lake is appropriate.  She will soon meet with officials from Pennsylvania in order to learn more about that state’s experience increasing boating limitations to twenty horsepower and will relate their opinions to discussions she previously held with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.  

It is particularly important for her to hear the thoughts and opinions of the citizens who reside in her legislative district because they will be directly affected by this decision.  Representative Newcomb plans to be thorough in her approach and will therefore take as much time as necessary to make the best decision.  This thoroughness will not result in a longer timeline for changing the horsepower limits because any bills passed by the Ohio General Assembly would be too late to affect the 2008 boating season due to a lengthy legislative process.  

Thank you for your email and for sharing your personal experiences on Pymatuning Lake.  Representative Newcomb understands how many people this decision will affect and she appreciates your patience.

Please contact the office at (614) 466-1405 or district99@ohr.state.oh.us if you have any additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Brian Morgan
Legislative Aide
Office of Representative Deborah Newcomb
Ohio House of Representatives - 99th District
Office: (614) 466-1405
Fax: (614) 719-6999

Please contact all of your fishing and boating friends and encourage them to contact Representative Newcomb in support of the increase in the horsepower limit on Pymatuning.  As noted in the email if legislation is passed this year it will become effective in 2009.  It's important that we act now!!!

V
CATMAN610
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/12 21:24:46 (permalink)
One of the guys I work for was up there a week or two ago and got nailed for $180.00 fine for having too big a motor, how big his was I dunno but he fishes B.A.S.S. tournys so it was probably huge. BTW that $180.00 was considered a warning by the officer.
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/14 17:50:38 (permalink)
I have always been suprised by the Bass Clubs. Before the increase at Arthur the majority of the guy's ignored the limit. No matter what they raise it to, the guy's will get a bigger motor. No matter what you think of the limit, it is the law. I would think that you could NOT win a Tournament if you broke any of the Fish and Boat Commission rules. (EXCEPT The h.p. limit). by the way, I am for the increase. I'll just wait until it's legal! 

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/15 06:26:31 (permalink)
by the way, I am for the increase. I'll just wait until it's legal! 

My feelings too since i've listened to all the reasons people want an increase in HP limit. I spent the money last year to get a smaller motor to add to my bigger one, just so i could fish a couple lakes our crappie club holds fish-togethers on. When the time comes that i can use a bigger kicker, i'll try to sell my 9.9 honda 4 stroke and get something that will push my boat faster. Until then, i'll just relax and putt along up in the stumps.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8507
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/15 06:39:03 (permalink)
Puttin is ok until the white caps start crashing over your bow and you fill like your on the deadlies catch. lol

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/15 07:03:36 (permalink)
Remember.... i still have the big motor. If i feel like i'm in danger, i'll pay the fine. I'm no saint, but i'm not going to break a law unless i have to, to stay alive. Safety, not pleasure.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8507
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/15 07:52:14 (permalink)
lol. I,ld do the same.

Z06 Rat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Pymatuning Horespower! 2008/05/15 16:58:39 (permalink)
I received this email from Brian Morgan today.  Brian is the legislative aide for Representative Newcomb.

Very good news.  Please send Representative Newcomb an email in support of the increase to 20hp on Pymatuning

For Immediate Release: Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rep. Newcomb Seeks Public Input on Pymatuning Lake Horsepower Limits
Proposed Legislation Would Increase Motor Limits to 20 Horsepower

COLUMBUS – State Representative Deborah Newcomb (D-Conneaut) today announced plans to introduce legislation to increase horsepower limits on Pymatuning Lake. The proposed legislation is recommended by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and would institute a 20 horsepower limit for all watercraft.

“The aim of this legislation is to remove the confusion surrounding the Pymatuning Lake Compact, which is the agreement between Ohio and Pennsylvania to govern Pymatuning Lake,” Rep. Newcomb said. “The Ohio Department of Natural Resources is looking to increase the horsepower limits from 9.9 to 20 for all boats on Pymatuning Lake. This will welcome more boating opportunities for residents in Ohio and Pennsylvania so they can enjoy this wonderful resource.”

The legislation has the support of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Pymatuning Lake Association, the North Shore Boat Club, the Pymatuning Yacht Club, and many individual boaters who use the lake. Specifically, it would:

Improve Boater Safety: Boats are much larger now than when the current 9.9 horsepower limit was set in the 1960’s. Boaters will be better protected by having appropriately-rated motors for their watercraft, especially in inclement weather, when large boats can be difficult to maneuver.
Enhance State Enforcement: Current law allows different types of boats to use motors of various sizes. Instituting a flat 20 horsepower limit is much easier to enforce and still allows boaters to use motors with ratings of 9.9, 15, 18 or 20 horsepower because they have the same block size.  Any motors that produce 25 horsepower or more have a larger block size and are easily spotted. 
Benefit the Local Economy: Raising horsepower limits will encourage more boaters to use Pymatuning Lake. An increase in visitors will result in more tourism dollars entering the local economy.
Preserve the Environment: Pennsylvania did not document any noise or other complaints when it instituted an increase from 9.9 to 20 horsepower on all other inland lakes in that state.

“Too many people are confused about what boats are allowed on the water because of differences in Ohio and Pennsylvania law,” Rep. Newcomb said. “I feel my bill for Ohio complements our neighbor’s own regulations and streamlines efforts to open the waters to more people seeking recreation.

“I want to ensure that everyone is able to voice their opinion. I encourage anyone interested in this issue to contact my office to share their personal experiences and ideas.”

Public comments may be directed to district99@ohr.state.oh.us or (614) 466-1405.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to: