Motor Questions....need help quick!!!

Author
Jgut07
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 141
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/09 16:46:24 (permalink)

Motor Questions....need help quick!!!

I'm about to buy a boat from a guy. I havent been able to get down to start the motor yet because of class and whatever. He said the motor ran great 2 years ago and he put stabilizer in it and hasnt ran it in 2 years. It has been in a garage for 2 years and sat outside for like one month. I was wondering if you guys think I'll face any serious problems. He said it might just be rough starting up but should run great still. I'm a newbie to boats and dont know that much. Its a mid to late 80's Mercury 35hp. Thanks for all the help.

28 Replies Related Threads

meatball1977
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 17:05:32 (permalink)
    I bought a boat last year that sat for three years,had trouble at first but i got the carbs.cleaned out by a mercury dealer,runs like a dream.Drain all fluids and start from scratch.Good luck
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 17:13:35 (permalink)
    how much does that cost....could i add some carb cleaner in the gas or is that not good?
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 17:18:06 (permalink)
    Before you buy anything, I would definitely go test it out and make sure what you're paying for is worth it.  Don't just take a stranger's word for it...don't forget, he is trying to sell his boat.  I would at least put fresh gas in it and go there with a set of ear muffs and try to run it and check the hull and look it over real good.  Just my opinion.  Good Luck!

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 17:26:50 (permalink)
    carb cleaner in the gas may ruin the seals or the fuel pump
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 17:34:11 (permalink)
    ShutUP, I've already gone and looked at the boat. Everything is in great condition. I just didnt have muffs at the time and now I do, got them off my buddy. To be honest I'm not sure how to use them. If there is old gas, is there a way to empty it out of the tank. Like I said I'm new at all of this. Here is a link to the boat with pics so you guys can help me out a little more and see what I'm talking about. Thanks

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/630501287.html
    meatball1977
    Novice Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 17:44:07 (permalink)
    I tried carb cleaner didnt work for me,cost me 150$ from the dealer,well worth it
    meatball1977
    Novice Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 18:05:37 (permalink)
    looked at pics.save your money look around.i bought a 1998 fisher with 40 horse for 3000$
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 18:06:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: meatball1977

looked at pics.save your money look around.

Agreed

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 18:14:03 (permalink)
    Old gas is not an issue if its been treated properly. It's not the best but it will make do till your next fill. W/ any gas thats been sitting for a over a yr if you can siphon it out, or at least the better part of it and top off w/ new.

The motor, it should start after a few cranks and not take forever to get started. If that happens it the carbs. Once started it should stay idiling and throttle up and down smoothly. Your going to get some pop and cracking of the exhaust sound w/ the muffs on the motor thats normal. What's not normal is back fire.
    Another way to make sure the carbs are ok is after the motors been running for some time, stop it and wait. Wait for 15 min to 1/2 hr and now start the motor again. Does it start easy or a pain in the a%% to do so. If it's a pain its the carbs. I owned one of those older merc's at one time and they can be fickle.

To actual start a merc. your have the neutral button pushed in and push the throttle forward a small bit, pushing the key in to activate the choke and turn the key. This can take a couple tries. Once it's started leave the throttle in that same position or bring it down a little based on the speed of the motor for a minute. This will help in warming it up and help any stalling. You will then be able to throttle it down and at idle, after that first minute.

If your serious about purchasing the boat and motor take it a marina garage for a look over. From times past, I wouldn't purchase any used boat w/o a survey done on it. A surveyor will go over the boat and motor for you and give you the good and bad news. That money spent can save you big later on.

Ever hear that saying that a boat is a hole n the water you throw money into, could never be truer than that of a used boat.
    ORIGINAL: Jgut07

ShutUP, I've already gone and looked at the boat. Everything is in great condition. I just didnt have muffs at the time and now I do, got them off my buddy. To be honest I'm not sure how to use them. If there is old gas, is there a way to empty it out of the tank. Like I said I'm new at all of this. Here is a link to the boat with pics so you guys can help me out a little more and see what I'm talking about. Thanks

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/630501287.html
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 18:18:38 (permalink)
    I'm getting it for under that price. I only have as much as I'm getting this for. I'm in college and playing baseball and need this to get me a few years untill I get a job out of school. I dont want a jon boat or anything. Obviously I would like a newer, nicer boat but that isnt the option right now.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 23:10:41 (permalink)
    There are water intake ports on the lower unit, probably at least 6-9 holes on each side that have a screen over them.  Put the muffs on so that the arm faces the front of the boat and the cups cover those holes on each side (a friend actually borrowed mine one time, put them on from the back and ran the motor till he realized he tore the $hit out of the motor)  hook up a hose to the muffs, turn it on and fire up the motor.

Get what you can afford although with that motor you limit yourself to where you can fish.  Might want to look for something else with a 9.9 to keep your options open.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/09 23:40:25 (permalink)
    Boat - approx. $2000,    Time & fuel to get there & get it home - $75,     Lunch - $10,   someone who knows what the h*ll they're doing going with you  -  PRICELESS !!!!!!   No boat is worth buying uninformed I don't care what the price. To some $2000 may not seem like a lot of money but it sounds like your lifes savings going by by.Be careful & remember,  Buyer Beware......   Good luck & hope you make an informed decision.   Dave
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/10 00:11:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys. Most of my fishing will be done in Ohio and the lakes that we will be fishing are unrestricted, so the motor works fine for me. I'm going tomorrow to fire it up and make sure the motor runs ok before I actually pick it up Saturday. I really do appreciate all the help in such a short amount of time.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/10 05:35:44 (permalink)
    Jgut; You Can get some SEA FOAM  and run that after you get the motor started.  That is the next best thing to do other than taking to a merc dealer to have serviced. I run sea foam through my motor every spring/first tank of the year. I never have any motor problems. The merc dealer actually told me to do so to save on service charges.  But he did tell me to have the motor serviced every 2/3 years. Which would be carb cleaned,new plugs,maybe plug wires,lower unit oil,fuel filter,check impeller.   hope that will help you   Dave
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/10 08:52:42 (permalink)
    Before buying a boat realize that there are annual maintenance costs with every boat.  The older the boat, the higher the costs are going to be, probably.  What happens if you blow your savings to buy it then in July it needs $500 or more of work done to it?  I'm just saying...  A boat that sits in the driveway needing repaired doesn't do much for anyone.
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/10 12:06:43 (permalink)

" She has a great personality."
    " I'm from the government, and here to help you."
    " It ran OK when we put it away."
    All of the above statements are often true, but a lot of the previous post have good advice about hearing it run before you put every ounce of free cash you have into an old boat. It probably did run OK a few years ago. Borrow, or buy a pair of mufffs for $15 and hear it run. If it doesn't run good , walk away.
    And be prepared for this boat, like most others, to cost you a few bucks here and there.
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/10 13:19:09 (permalink)
    I got some muffs so we can fire it up before we buy it. I also went out and bought some Sea Foam, thanks for the tips. I understand that it may and probably will cost some money down the road. Doesnt everything? New cars have stuff happen to them, that comes with everything. I dont have the money to buy a new boat for 10 grand plus. Thanks for all the help though guys.
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/10 14:23:37 (permalink)
    Musky:

Thanks for the PM, I can not send out any messages? Anyone know why this is? It says successful send but it doesnt show up in my sent box and the other person never gets it.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 10:22:56 (permalink)
    J -

Did you ever get the boat?  How is it?

As for mechanicals, I am a newby (see post above..).  As for dropping money into the water, I can't agree more with the others. 

Here's some things to consider if you are still shopping.  Besides, buying a seperate motor, I spend about $500 per year on mine in storage alone.  I thought that a bigger motor would be fine on mine, but ended up looking for a smaller motor almost immediately after getting my boat, since some of my favorite water is restricted.  I rarely need the 50hp now on my local unrestricted rivers.  Trailering a boat is not a fun thing, so your local waters will likely be where you fish most often.  Fishing from a boat, no longer allows for the 2-3 hour trips that you may have had before.  If you are like me, you'll want to be on it every chance you get.  Especially after having invested the money.  I hope that your study habits can afford a boat as much as your savings. 

I know when I was in school, $2k is what I was barrowing from the bank every 2-3 months.  All money that I had saved from my paper route that started in 5th grade, working through high school, full time in summers, and 2 jobs in college was for room and board, and still got some cash from my parents to help.  I am now 10 years out of school, with a wife that both have pretty well paying jobs.  $2k on my boat was almost stretching it, with the other funds involved in owning.  I'm positive if I would have spent half of the time fishing in college, on my school work, I would have a much better paying job, and nicer boat right now.  If I would have had a boat in college, I don't think that I would have even finished school.  Sorry for the lecture, but think about what you are doing.  You don't want to be putting yourself in a hole. 
    post edited by Porktown - 2008/04/21 10:24:32
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 10:58:41 (permalink)
    PT,

Thanks for the advice. The money that was used to by the boat was actually my brother in laws. He had some extra cash from his loan that he took out for school, (he is 28, and going part-time and has a full time job). Money is a HUGE issue while in school. I go to school in Pittsburgh, and my brother in law lives in Warren, OH. I work and spend most of my time in the summer in Warren. This works out great because I cant take the boat out during the school year. lol. We got a boat that was exactly like the one that I was talking about, but with a johnson on it and it runs great. The boat from pittsburgh fell through because you need a title in Ohio to register it and the guy didnt have a title and we didnt want to buy the boat and him screw us over with the title.

The boat we got now is a few years older but I feel alot better about it knowing the motor runs great and the guy had 500 dollars motor work done to it over the winter.

I can understand what you mean about study habbits. I'm a scholarship baseball player and had Tommy Johns surgery in Sept. With therapy 3 days a week for 3 hours a day, class all day and night, its hard to find time for anything, let alone, studying and of course fishing. I'm extremely glad that fishing is slow during the school year with the exception of steelhead or I would be screwed.  I am currently in process of transferring out of this hell hole because of the baseball program. But yeah, money is def. and issue and it is gone before you know it with paying for gas to drive to therapy in wexford every other day and eating and the bills of this apartment and all that. I wouldnt have a boat to float in if it was up to me and my money. lol....
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 11:08:25 (permalink)
    All I know is Mercury motors are top of the line.  I just took my boat out for the first time yesterday and it started the first pull. It sat in my basement since October and had no difficulties.  Same plugs and even used the gas from last year and it purred all day.  But to ease your consciense I would definitely want to run it before you purchase it. 

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 11:53:02 (permalink)
    First thing I would look at is the lower unit oil. Unscrew the lower unit oil plug and check the oil. If its milky there is water in the lower gear drives and probably needs new seals some where. If that sat for a few years with water in the lower drive the gears could be pitted from corrosion. Worse off would be the gunk that builds up in the bearings. If you do get it change that out first...Also if you get it running make sure there is a good stream of water pumping out from the water pump that cools the engine. Is should be spraying out a port half way down the lower drive area. Good luck..
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 12:46:08 (permalink)

I work and spend most of my time in the summer in Warren. This works out great because I cant take the boat out during the school year.

Good to hear.  I know from the time that I bought mine, it is one of the only things on my mind.

Sorry to hear about your arm and therapy.  I hope it doesn't affect your transfer or scholarship (or casting ability...).

Be aware, if you end up at a place like I did (IUP).  There are fishing oppertunities almost year round.  I couldn't even imagine going to Edinboro.  "Sorry professor, but did you see the conditions of the stream this morning..."  I'm sure some of the local's bosses have heard that before too!
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 14:33:44 (permalink)
    IUP...thats 13th grade for my high school (kittanning)...I go to Point Park now....transferring to Seton Hill in Greensburg....
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/21 22:27:28 (permalink)
    My first college was Lock Haven, you talk about good fishing and hunting nearby...........which is probably why I had to pick a second college 3 yrs later

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    eye-c-man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/22 22:17:00 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine is looking for a boat , something like the one you have pics of above. Couple of ?? if you wouldn't mind answering ; is the boat still for sale ? and you said you made him an offer below the asking price, whats he looking for as far as price goes     thanks in advance for any info   paul
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/23 12:14:37 (permalink)
    Its sold....he had over 20 people in line behind me....
    eye-c-man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Motor Questions....need help quick!!! 2008/04/23 21:54:45 (permalink)

Its sold....he had over 20 people in line behind me....
    ok thanks anyway
    Jump to: