Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/07 09:16:40 (permalink)

Target Panic

Helllllllllllllllp!!!It's back...
I used to work in an archery shop and was a shop shooter. Went to alot of 3d shoots for about 8 years. Was a little better than average shot. Just because of time put in.
Now here comes the problem. I started to develop a bad case of target panic. I lock up about 6-9 inches below the bullseye and can not pick up my bow arm. When it locks up it feels like there is a 100 lbs hanging off the end of my arrow.
It got so bad I quit 3d shoots. It doesn't seem to bother me in hunting situations.
Now I'm trying to get back into the 3d ring and the last ten targets of the shoot were a fight the whole way. Hate to give it up again.

Anybody else dealt with it and won. Cause it sure takes the fun out of it.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

10 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 09:41:26 (permalink)
    ahh man.  That sucks bings.

I had it for the longest time.  Grew up with it.  Thing about this stuff, it never TRUELY goes away.  I battle it all the time, it runs through my head every shot, but I win. 

It's best to have someone with you.

Eyes closed, at 7 yards, pull back, visualize what you do, have the other guy make sure you are going to hit the target.  Let the arrow fly.  This exercise , is nothing more than doing the opposite of what target panic is -- the fear of missing.  You are shooting with your eyes closed, trusting the aiming, and visualizing what you do, without visual aiming.  Shoot a few arrows doing this.

Next,  open you eyes.  Pull back at 7 yards, hold the pin on your spot, let the arrow down.  If you release the arrow, target panic wins.  Here is where you need to work it out of you.  If it's bad, ducktape your hand to your release or string.  You HAVE to be able to hold that pin on there at close distances and be able to let down.  Move back to 10 yards, then 15, etc...  Spend the time at each distance until you are able to hold that pin on your spot without releasing it, with confidence.

Everyone that has had this, seems to have a unique case of it.  The thing that used to get me is shooting in open spaces .. such as fields.  A target in the open field, I was in trouble..

All else fails, go to the doctor and get some anxiety medicine.  Afterall, this is ALL about conquering lack of confidence.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 10:46:41 (permalink)
    That's what every thing I've read said. It's a Zen thing. Be the arrow,nanananaaaah..All subconsciece. Starting a regiman today shooting at 10 ft. Man does this bow pound the target at 7 feet..Thanks...

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 12:47:58 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be afraid to shoot at the distance you're comfortable with at 3D's.   Go up to 10 yards if you'd having trouble at 30 or so..  3D's are the most valuable tool for me.  I don't about you, but I don't have time to pull up a range finder. 

The bow I got last year is 31"  axle to axle.  Shorter bows are harder to be accurate with.  A flinch has expotential effects with a short/light bow.  I figured this would force me to work out my problems, or I'd have to give it up all together.

racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 15:21:58 (permalink)
    Bing been there,still shows up every once in a while..I shoot like you bringing from the bottom up.I have kept mine in check by conciously starting at the top and working down..Sounds easy but it takes a session or two ,then when its easy alternate the starting point,worked well for me..good luck..Ray

la Fish Hog
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 16:05:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Ray need all the help I can get..

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 16:19:09 (permalink)
    Forgot something,

Another thing to consider is how you are breathing.

Some say not to shoot with a full inhale, or after full exhale.  Supposed to let out half of your breath, after pulled back. 

Not sure if that would apply to target panic or not, but it's said to help to steadiness. 

Perhaps relaxation too?  I don't know..

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/07 17:54:35 (permalink)
    Glad to see i'am not the only one who fights that damm problem.  
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/08 21:34:04 (permalink)
    i use to have that, took me a while to get over it. my buddy helped me out thou. i would draw back hold the pin on the target and he would stand behind me and pull the trigger.. for some reason it helped.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/09 02:06:26 (permalink)
    I never had that problem myself, but heard a guy getting advice from a pro on it one time.  When all else fails the pro suggested increasing draw weight, even if it meant using a different bow for a while.
    The reasoning was that if the weight was enough to force you to lift the bow and arch your back, like kids do when drawing for the first few times, then you can work from top down till you break the habit, and he stressed that it was a habit.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    fearnofish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Target Panic 2008/04/09 09:45:01 (permalink)
    Put a picture of Hillary up with a bullseye on her forehead! Should take care of the problem.

Seriously though, A guy I once knew set an extra pin real low on his sight and would use that initially. Then when that pin was still lower than the bull, his 20 yard pin was high and he could bring it down on target. Did that for a while and slowly got back to normal.
    post edited by fearnofish - 2008/04/09 09:47:42
    Jump to: