Fly Fishing or not

Author
matthoops33
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/06 20:10:27 (permalink)

Fly Fishing or not

Looking for a new hobby, maybe fly fishing. However I do not know if it is worth all the work because I have never tried it before. What are the advantages of fly fishing vs other types of fishing? Is it really worth getting in to? Also, what are some good books or tapes to educate an amateur like me?

"It's a Sicillian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes..."

11 Replies Related Threads

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/06 22:18:53 (permalink)
    I can't realy compare and contrast because I never realy fished with bait or lures, but I can say that I realy like fly fishing. It's a lot of fun to read the stream and try to figure out where a fish is holding, tie on a pattern and let a nice cast roll out and drift through.

I get a big kick out of seeing a rainbow roll out and hit a nymph, then you get the jolt. Or when a brown strikes your streamer, a split second of apprehension to set the hook, then bam! it's on!

I'd say it is worth it, but that is a subjective statement. I got my first set up as a gift, and another rig at a great discount through a friend. With cost as a factor, I'd say the the value of the fun I have far outweighs cost. I can't recomend any books because I haven't read any yet, but would highly recomend hooking up with someone local who can show you how to cast and how to find where they hold. Actually seeing a seam form and trout feeding in a lane or their other holdong environments is the best.

It's not much work though, except some casting practice and streamside hiking to find likely holding areas. When you learn as you do it, the time and effort go by like a nice day of fishing.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/06 22:35:50 (permalink)
    Due you need an addiction?? If so Fly Fishing is for you

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/06 22:39:34 (permalink)
    PeteM,

Thanks for the help! I can imagine what you meant when you described the rainbow and the brown hitting your fly. I would love to get in to fly fishing. The problem with my situation is that no one else in my family fly fishes. My Dad and my uncle, the two people that got me "hooked" on fishing in general don't fly fish. Neither do any of my fishing buddies. So, I guess I'm on my own on this one.

Any help from anybody is appreciated...

Thanks!

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/07 07:19:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: matthoops33

PeteM,

Thanks for the help! I can imagine what you meant when you described the rainbow and the brown hitting your fly. I would love to get in to fly fishing. The problem with my situation is that no one else in my family fly fishes. My Dad and my uncle, the two people that got me "hooked" on fishing in general don't fly fish. Neither do any of my fishing buddies. So, I guess I'm on my own on this one.

Any help from anybody is appreciated...

Thanks!

Thats how I started, 15 years ago. I didnt even have an internet to look up info. It was trial and error and a lot of questions to people I met on the stream. I wouldnt go as cheap as you can on a rod you will hate yourself for it. Talk to some locals maybe join a TU or some other club with a stream of interest. Get yourself a few flies, read up on technique, watch other fly anglers and ASK them for information. You will be on fish in no time if you really put the effort into it. Most people start with dry fly fishing because thats what they know fly fishing to be. For the begginer it offers the ability to see exactly whats happening. Its downfall is that you usually have to be precise on wild fish. Nymphing is a great thing to start someone on. I started my fiance on nymphing. You can come close with the nymphs, not have a perfect drift and catch fish. Books are good for learning about hatches, feeding lies and such. Experience is the only thing that will teach you what youre doing wrong and how you can correct it.

Lots of videos on youtube. You dont give your location but Ill assume you are in PA. Get a book called, 'The Hatch Guide to New England Streams'. It will tell you what the real flies look like and how to immitate them. Wish I found that 15 years ago. It just became my friend in the last 4 years.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/04/07 07:21:38
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/07 08:38:16 (permalink)
    matthoops,
          I sort of disagree with Jeremy.  I say to buy the cheapest rod you can and spend the rest of your money on a good selection of flies (at least two of each).  The read a little and practice a lot.  You don't have to be tossing a #16 mosquito to a native brookie on a laurel stream to be fly fishing.  You can go to a local pond that has some gills in it and have a great time while learning what the correct presentations look like and what the take looks like.
          If you are fishing for pellet-heads just about anything works and the learning curve is quick. 
          I do agree with the ask questions though.  Most fly fishermen will share knowledge, and sometimes flies, with a newbie.
         As for flies:  I like: mosquito in #'s 14, 16, 18;  Adams 14,16, royal coachman  14,16, Muddler Minnow in 10, 12,  Pale sulfur in 14, 16, Hares ear in 14-18, black ant 14,16, and joes hopper in 12, 14.  You can throw in about a dozen different caddis ties  and be ready for just about anythiing. 
         Then the fun begins.  You can upgrade equipment, add flies that imitate everything from a gnat to a mouse, and generally spend your kid's college money.  It's an addiction.
         BTW:  I am generally inclined to use the mosquito as my "go to" fly since they are everywhere.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/07 13:19:18 (permalink)
    matt

there are a lot of good rods for under $100.  look at the st croix priemer at H & H http://www.hookhack.com/specialoffers.html#Anchor-12953 only $60 for a really nice rod for a beginner.  don't waste too much on a reel to start, under $50.  get good line, tippets and leaders though.  plus the flies that were mentioned will set you back at about $200.  try the Trout Unlimited club to meet people with an intrest or take a class at a local fly shop.  don't think all flyshops are out to take you money.  some are very helpful, especially to a beginner because they want to get you started right so you keep coming back.  also let us know where your from and you may get an invite to try it out.  i know i have a few extra rod around and would be willing to do some teaching.  i've helped a few out already and i'm sure there will be some more.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/07 14:18:11 (permalink)
    matt,
       Agree with RIZ!  Where are you from?  I'll be up this weekend, and I'm more than willing to share.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/07 16:14:44 (permalink)
    Thanks guys...I live in West Mifflin (PA of course), close to Peters Creek. This weekend I will be headed up to Brockway, pa to my cabin to fish the streams up there with my spinning outfit. I don't have time this week to go out and purchase a fly rod, but hopefully next week I will. I'm looking forward to getting out there and learning.

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/07 20:09:13 (permalink)
    Give me a holler if you want to hit peters. I live over in Bethel Park and have an extra fly rod if you don't end up getting one in the mean time.

As Loomis has in his signature- "I am by no means the most logical or educated person about fly fishing, but I will share with you what I know".

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/08 11:17:24 (permalink)
    hey matt

i live near zelienople and fish some of the area streams like deer, pine neshanock and the rock.  i'll be glad to take you out a time or 3.  i also have a camp in elk county, between weedville and benezette.  i'll be fishing driftwwod sat then maybe east br clarion or elk cr.  where do you fish when in brockway?
    matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing or not 2008/04/08 14:52:46 (permalink)
    Well, I'm going up on saturday afternoon to my cabin in brockway. It's on galusha road right outside of town. I'll probably fish spring creek, little toby, and rattlesnake this weekend (sunday and monday).

Jump to: