Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/21 15:35:47 (permalink)

Getting To Know You

Hello All,
I want to do a meet and greet so we can all get to know each other a little better. Where we're from, how and where we fish, etc..
How long you've been fishing the Lake Ont. Tribs. would be cool, and anything else you want to add.

I'm not from Pulaski, or even NY. I live in Carlisle PA (near Harrisburg).
I fly fish for wild Browns and Rainbows in Spring Creeks near home.
It's my favorite thing to do.
I've fished the Salmon River & other Tribs. for about 6 years.
I quit counting fish caught/missed years ago, but I usually do ok.
Have done the Salmon and Steelhead thing, but I really like to catch Big Browns. They are my favorite fish. Nothing else is so satisfying to me as to fool a Big Brown. They are the smartest, so I know I've accomplished something special.
I have a wife and 3 little ones, 4, 4 & 2. They are a blast and my whole family  loves to fly fish. We fish & have an afternoon lunch outdoors on nice days.
Other than that I don't have much to tell.

Lyrical

7 Replies Related Threads

chrome
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/04/21 16:06:06 (permalink)
    Then you'll like these guys....but a few of the fish taken from your neck of the woods after easter.  Lost a legit 10# brown that day......

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/04/23 20:50:57 (permalink)
    HT-
    Nice to meet ya!

I caught my first trout, a brown of 12" over 40 years ago when I wasn't yet a teen, in Powder Mills Park on Irondequoit Creek, when there were no trout except where the hatchery put them in that creek, and the Lake and the Genny, and Irondequoit Bay were all cesspools. Pea soup by the end of May everywhere!

I learned to use a flyrod (and tie flies from the old timers out there) on Spring Creek in Caledonia, home of the oldest publicly maintained trout hatchery in the USA, still running under the able hands of Allen Mack, and gained a warm appreciation of the difficulties of lake dwelling rainbows running up rivulets in Naples, New York in the 1960's. Hormonal changes during this period distracted me from fishing for a while, but during college, I was forunate enough to encounter folks from the northwestern parts of the Catskills, 40 minutes from Binghamton, where native brook trout grew to nice 12"+ sizes in streams that the locals maintained didn't have trout because the state didn't stock them there!  Maybe they were just trying to discourage me!!!

End of chapter one.  Wife and kids moving carbomb into computer room!

L13
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/04/23 23:25:51 (permalink)
    Pretty fish Chrome.
    I may go out tomorrow for a day on one of my favorites and fish with my good arm.
    I haven't had a day on a stream alone on over a year.

Lyrical
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/04/24 07:51:48 (permalink)
    Well - since you started the thread!

I lived in CNY for about a dozen years, and recently (3 years ago) moved to Richmond, VA.  I put a fly rod in my hand in 1994 and began fly fishing for Borwns and Brookies in the West Canada Creek.  Then Cap (another member of this board) brought me to the SR, Fall of 1994, and we started trying to catch these large bruts.  We knew JACK SQUAT!  and spent countless hours on that river.  Finally, we hired a guide, and "boom goes the dynamite" it all fell into place.  From the fall of 1998 through 2004 you could have seen me on the river in the DSR every Thursday through Sunday, for Salmon season and a couple of times during the winter going for Steelhead.  Now - I get to the SR about 3 to 4 times per year, but I make the most of it.

I like the tranquility of the river.  I like to hear the scream of my drag... and the yelling of Fish On---Fish Off... the whole thing is a rush...

I married a ROMAN (and I don't mean ITALY) - I mean Rome, NY, which is why I can get up to the river pretty regularly, because there is always an excuse for my wife to see her family.  We have one daughter (soon to be 3 years old) and before long she will have a fly rod in her hand and be standing next to me in the SR, catching Salmon and Steelhead...

I know some of you from the board... and always look forward to meeting more...

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/04/30 15:11:48 (permalink)
    Grandfather started me fishing the Farmington River in CT back when I was 6. Started fishing SR when I was 12. Went to Penn State for College and fished Spring- Penns and Fishing for 5 years.

Now I fish the SR at least once a month from Aug- May. I skip the month of October because of the mayhem. Like to trout fish better than salmon and really love the center pin thing. Usually spend at least 3 days on the river each trip.

Also fish susky flats for stripers and Jeresy Shore in the summer.

I live about 13 miles from Philly.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/05/01 20:16:23 (permalink)
    JeffL- and everyone else,
    Glad to have you here. I hope to get into some good topics. Any ideas- just start the thread.
    With a little luck we can keep it fun. I like being able to have a laugh.

JeffL- I've had Lorenzo's 3 times in as many weeks. Went on a trip today in fact. Had a suture under the skin that wasn't happy and needed to come out. Cool thing was I kept the scissors. They throw em' away after one use. Good Pakistan ones. Like $18 in the shops.
    Do any Striper fishing? I would if I could. Next year- I hope.

Lyrical
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Getting To Know You 2007/05/01 20:32:58 (permalink)
    Fished the susky flats last Sat. Boated 23 biggest 16lbs. lots of 5 lbers,
    Fun to be out. Wish I could get one more steely trip in but I don't think its happening.
    Jump to: