Spey- Yay or Nay

Author
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/20 08:25:20 (permalink)

Spey- Yay or Nay

OKay, so enough with the rhyming, i just read the fly rods thread and figured I wouldn't sabatoge it.  I read your post Jeremy and see that you are a huge spey advocate.   What I wanna know is, what size/weight spey do you consider using? in erie and ny.  The reason being is that im going to start fishing NY more this coming season and I dont think the noodle blank is up for handling a king on a 6wt.  I fish the yough a decent amount, mostly with my old 7wt if im fly fishing, but I'd be interested in hearing some opinions of how a spey could benefit...plus I need an excuse for another toy.  lol. 

5 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Spey- Yay or Nay 2008/03/20 12:13:41 (permalink)
    Yay!, WHEN it's necessary.

8 wt. in spey is overkill for Erie.  7 probably is too.  6 wt at 12-13' would be good.  I've used a 6 wt. 12'9".  Good stuff!  You're going to get better drifts but fish will be harder to land in tighter areas.  If you don't have a place to beach fish, you're going to find out real quick the disadvantage of a spey rod. 

7 wt. would be good for the SR.  6 probably ok too..  There is really only one creek in PA that a spey will have great advantages over a 10' 7 fly rod.  I've been working on getting a 13'9" 7wt. for Michigan and Ohio but I'm getting married soon.  booOOO!!!!!!!!  I can use it for stripppers too.  They like it long, or say they say..
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/03/20 12:14:15

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Spey- Yay or Nay 2008/03/20 13:09:19 (permalink)
    I havent ventured into it myself yet so I cant really recommend.

Benefits of a spey.

No back cast, every throw a nymph rig 50ft with a regular rod, not easy huh, throw 100 with a spey.

Able to stay back away from fish

Able to not have to wade far out into a river.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Spey- Yay or Nay 2008/03/20 14:19:01 (permalink)
    anadromous

I believe you and I are using the same 6 wt.  I just built a wild river not so long ago, have to say its a welcome addition to the ever-growing arsenal.  Its good to know it will handle the brown trout too.  I have to say I like it for certain conditions but wouldnt use it if I was going into a situation where the water was really deep and required an excess amount of shot, or anyhwere I had to cast really long distances to get to fish.  Ill have to keep this spey thing in mind, but I'd like to experiment before making a purchase.  
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Spey- Yay or Nay 2008/03/20 16:23:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loomis

OK, so enough with the rhyming, i just read the fly rods thread and figured I wouldn't sabatoge it.  I read your post Jeremy and see that you are a huge spey advocate.   What I wanna know is, what size/weight spey do you consider using? in erie and ny.  The reason being is that im going to start fishing NY more this coming season and I dont think the noodle blank is up for handling a king on a 6wt.  I fish the yough a decent amount, mostly with my old 7wt if im fly fishing, but I'd be interested in hearing some opinions of how a spey could benefit...plus I need an excuse for another toy.  lol. 

Honestly I dont even know where to begin on this. A 2 handed rod used in its true form, swinging, has no use in the Erie tribs. Only a a handful of spots you could get away with it but then again you will have to many people in the way. I would love to see somebody try and learn them guys about "two stepping." Your best bet for Erie would be getting into a switch rod. They have been getting very popular the past few seasons. Many on the market to choose from. A Meiser probably being the best but there are many options. Scott Sage Beulah to name afew.  A 11' 6wt or 7wt Z Axis would work great for you. As well as building on a Rainshadow 10'8". I would say 7wt but the 8 wt would be fine as well. What ever one you choose you may really want to think about overlining it by at least one.
      Now if you are going to swing up in NY on the Catt or Salmon a 13'ish 7/8 for 8/9 is not out of the question. If you get serious about it you will have one for each river you fish.  Look into the Echos. Decent rod that aint gonna break the bank. Another cheapy is TFO. You never gave a price range so its hard to suggest a rod. Its a big investment. Once you through in the line and probably a big reel. You are looking maybe afew shy of a grand, but you can get away alittle cheaper by building your own or buying used. You can use a switch rod in NY as well. Go with the 8wt for salmon. Probably a 9wt if fishing the Salmon under higher flows. A 7wt would be fine for steel.
       Personally I dont think a two hander fished in the traditional style is cut out for you so I would go with a switch rod. That way once you put an indicator on it people wont laugh at you. A switch rod is the perfect tool for any area. Easier casting than a single hand rod of similar size. You can bobber fish with it as well as swing. You prob wont even do all that much swinging because its not as productive as bobber fishing. Read A Passion For Steelhead, thats steelhead fishing the way its supposed to be done.  As for disadvanteges of the switch and 2 handed rods. Not everybuddy fishes with one. It would be truely awsome to rotate through a run with strangers and not have to worry about getting low holed by some smuck that just walked up. Or having some idiot squeeze in your back pocket and fish. I'm done.
        Talk to these guys. They will set you straight http://www.oakorchardflyshop.com/

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Spey- Yay or Nay 2008/03/20 18:07:32 (permalink)
    Check out the beulah rod site,http://www.beulahflyrods.com/, they have some nice switch rods. I currently own a 12.5 8 wt and will getting rid of it for a switch rod. The spey is nice and all but I'm not using it to its potential, and a switch rod would be better suited for me. I've found that i do more short quick roll and single backcasts then a spey style casts. I'll also be giving up the weight that the spey has and the counter balancing needed w/a larger reel.

The beulah rods are light and nice to cast. When needed they can be 2 handed cast.
    Jump to: