Double Haul!

Author
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/13 07:00:14 (permalink)

Double Haul!

I finaly got it! After hearing about it, reading about it and watching about a gazillion you-tube vids, and thinking "That just doesn't even look real", I actualy went out and practiced a little.

It's not a bazooka blasting, line seering, guide melting projection of piscatorial prowess, but what the heck, I gotta start somewhere! Staying with my usual practice of bouncing off of wrong to find right, I back cast then gave a tug on the forecast. Nothing. Tried a few more times, and actualy got about a foot of line to shoot. A bunch of stuff rattled around in my head about the back cast and keeping the line high, so I finally gave a tug on the line to start the back cast. I actually felt the rod load up that time, and my forecast fully extended! Next one, I tried the double, and Zing, out went the line. Tried that a few more times, and by gosh, It worked! The line fully aerialized and shot right out through the guides. It looked downright freaky the way it wiggled through the air and shot across the yard!

So a couple of hours of practice later, and I still have some consistency bugs to work out, but at least now I have something to work with. I should thank you guys for some of those endless threads on lines, loops, loading, and all of the other stuff that you guys put out there for us noobs to pick up.

Thanks!

11 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/13 07:13:44 (permalink)
    It will get to a point that you just do it on instinct when you need to without thinking about it.

Now learn the tuck cast.
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/13 13:52:43 (permalink)
    Double Hauling is great on big water! Now, another great cast is the hinge cast. That lets you stand in front of a waterfall or bank and cast toward it, but causing a hinge to form in your line so that most of the tippet and leader land parallel to the object with is perpendicular to you! 

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/13 14:39:24 (permalink)
    Its a good feeling once something like learning the double haul just sorta "clicks" and you've got it. The biggest thing I can tell you is, to practice it to the point that you dont have to think about it. Just like J already said.

Also, play around with false casting different amounts of line, and you'll eventually feel the line load the road to a point where it starts really wanting to leave your hand. This is when your going to be able to shoot the most line out. You'll know it when you feel it. Also, if you're trying to shoot line, keep your loops tight.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/13 16:51:35 (permalink)
    I somewhat know what you mean with the rod wanting to take off. Previously I was letting it drift back further and pivot at the wrist a bit, missing the loading. One of the bugs I have to work out is to quit doing that. The other is letting it happen. Instead of letting the line go fully back, I fire forward too soon resulting in a pile of line a few feet in front of me. Those are a little disappointing but comming along.

Luvinbluegills, I am realy looking forward to hitting some big water with it too. Last year I kept wadin out to where I wanted to cast to and never managed to make it home dry. At least this year I shouldn't have to wade half way across the Yough to get to a spot where I can hit a nice hole. A nice long drift ought to help catch some fish too.

So whats a tuck cast?

flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/13 19:27:30 (permalink)
    Just remember, in moving water the shorter the cast the better. A long cast is very hard to control on the drift and hard to keep drag from setting in. This isnt a problem when using a streamer and can sometimes be better but I like to keep it under 20 feet when using a dry fly, nymph, or emerger.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/13 20:53:24 (permalink)
    pete when you talk about letting the rod drift back that comes a problem if you've stopped the back cast and the rod arm then continues to drift. But letting the rod arm extend back then a standard stop extends the length of cast w/ the added double haul. You create a long casting arch. Not the normal 10-2 idea thats taught. This extended casting arch will take some getting used to so that you don't drift the rod after the stop in the cast.

Hopefully I didn't make that to mixed up to understand.

Quick hint: stand w/ your body quartered to the cast so that you can view your back cast.
    ORIGINAL: PeteM

I somewhat know what you mean with the rod wanting to take off. Previously I was letting it drift back further and pivot at the wrist a bit, missing the loading. One of the bugs I have to work out is to quit doing that. The other is letting it happen. Instead of letting the line go fully back, I fire forward too soon resulting in a pile of line a few feet in front of me. Those are a little disappointing but comming along.

Luvinbluegills, I am realy looking forward to hitting some big water with it too. Last year I kept wadin out to where I wanted to cast to and never managed to make it home dry. At least this year I shouldn't have to wade half way across the Yough to get to a spot where I can hit a nice hole. A nice long drift ought to help catch some fish too.

So whats a tuck cast?

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/19 12:40:54 (permalink)
    So whats a tuck cast?

Getting the fly to land first, theres also a jump tuck. These are good for deep pools... the fly, tucks in under the presentation and dives strait down.

as humphries says

"employ the power stroke and shock the leader into droping the fly first." in other words punch it forward hard, stop at 10 and dont let the tip of the rod drop.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/03/19 12:41:55
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/19 12:48:42 (permalink)
    A tuck cast is the instant stopping of the rod at a certain position to get your fly to dive into the water first..  I'd guess I do the stop at about 1 o'clock.  Think about it like this:  Everytime you roll cast, false cast, etc.. you fly line touches the water first, then you leader lays out, then finally your fly.  The tuck cast does exactly the opposite; the flies dive (literally) into the water with your leader then line following.  Once you play around with it for while, try throwing an upstream mend in the middle of tuck.  Therefore, your fly goes straight down and after cast mending will not be necessary.  It happens fast and may seem a bit odd reading it, but it is simple and effective.  Anytime I'm nymphing and the water has a bit of color (or I'm not concerned with spooking fish), I tuck cast, not matter the species.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/19 15:31:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the description. That looks like it could be very handy around here in some of the closer/faster situations.

Is that where you find it most usefull, or do you guys like it as a good general nymphing cast?

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Double Haul! 2008/03/29 18:47:52 (permalink)
    The L.L. Bean Ultimate Book on Fly Fishing has a nice explanation of the DH.

An exercise: Strip out as much line as you can keep airborne. Then false cast, hauling both directions, but NOT shooting line. Do this 20 times. (back cast + forward cast = 1 cast) When you build arm strength and endurance, do it with more line out. Keep increasing. Great Exercise.

Another idea from Double L: Practice "minimalist" casting -- i.e., no open stance, no long arc, no pulling your casting hand back past your body, no dropping the rod from vertical. Just face your target, keep your elbow down, keep your casting hand in front of you, be one with the rod  . . . Be Mr. Cool Caster. The thing you'll learn is that you can cast just as far, more accurately and under control with the minimalist approach as you will with the more heroic effort.

Also, especially for casters new to the DH, practice with at least a #6 so you can feel the line work your rod.
    Jump to: