Archery 24/25

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3521
  • Reward points: 0
2024/09/04 13:51:23 (permalink)

Archery 24/25

At the risk of talking to myself in this thread, archery season is right around the corner. I have some new properties I am exploring this year in 2B. Kinda enjoying the process of studying maps, putting boots on the ground and running cameras on places I have never stepped foot on. The last few weekends I have been setting new stands and blinds. Lots of does and some real nice bucks running around. 

These properties are typical tight suburban hunting with lots of open areas. The deer are often out in the open and not so easy to pattern as they just move from yard to yard. Gonna be a learning process once I actually spend some time hunting. 

Good luck to those hunting this year and maybe we can see some successful pics here this year. 

My rifle is a black rifle

18 Replies Related Threads

snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/04 20:22:29 (permalink)
    Those 2B backyard spots can be pretty fun and pretty frustrating.  Have been taking my 14 year old son to hunt one for a couple years.  And just like you said - looks like it should be easy but the deer don't seem to stay on much of a pattern, especially the bucks.    

Got a couple spots in 2D that are pretty reliable, and a new place to hunt in 1A near Mercer that looks pretty promising the two times I've been on it.
    post edited by snagr - 2024/09/04 22:23:50
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1700
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 07:50:12 (permalink)
    I've got a couple of decent bucks hanging around out back but most of the local buck herd are still hitting the beans and have not moved off the summer pattern yet. It's going to be a tough season, especially early as the acorn crop(both red & white) here is heavy. 

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 08:53:57 (permalink)
    snagr
    Those 2B backyard spots can be pretty fun and pretty frustrating.  Have been taking my 14 year old son to hunt one for a couple years.  And just like you said - looks like it should be easy but the deer don't seem to stay on much of a pattern, especially the bucks.    

A few of the properties are kinda like estates. Horse pastures. Big open areas separated by picket fence. The deer often laying in the wide open under a shade tree. The landowners say they are there all of the time, it should be easy to get a few. I try to explain that it is not that easy as you just can't walk up to them and shoot them with a bow. The one owner had a fellow hunting it last year and the owner wasn't happy that he had a hard time shooting deer so he wanted someone else in there. Talk about pressure, lol. 

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 08:54:59 (permalink)
    fishin coyote
     It's going to be a tough season, especially early as the acorn crop(both red & white) here is heavy. 

Yep. Acorns are plentiful round here and a lot of trees have them so it may be tough pinning them down. Reds and some blacks are falling now. Whites not yet round here. 

CTKsnowman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 13:40:46 (permalink)
    I mostly hunt 2B, back in March I had an opportunity to buy some of the old farm land behind my house. It's not much but it butts up against more woods, so it will be perfect for archery hunting. I put a stand up in July, and I have been watching the cameras. I'm not expecting much, I'm just happy I can walk out my back door after work and sit in a stand. 

I also have a stand down the road that I put some cameras around in late July, I checked them on Sunday and had to spend 2 hrs looking through 3000+  photos. Saw a few nice bucks, but I'm convinced they'll run into the local park across the street the day season starts. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
    - Dale Gribble
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 17:47:59 (permalink)
    CTKsnowman
    I also have a stand down the road that I put some cameras around in late July, I checked them on Sunday and had to spend 2 hrs looking through 3000+  photos. Saw a few nice bucks, but I'm convinced they'll run into the local park across the street the day season starts. 

Hunting around parks can be tough for sure. I do some hunting around Settlers Cabin Park at times and it is a deer sanctuary come deer season. 

CTKsnowman
    Avid Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 18:14:27 (permalink)
    dpms
    CTKsnowman

Hunting around parks can be tough for sure. I do some hunting around Settlers Cabin Park at times and it is a deer sanctuary come deer season. 

There is nothing more frustrating than coming out of the woods and seeing a bunch of doe in the field across the street. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
    - Dale Gribble
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 18:52:00 (permalink)
    Hunted near Deer Lakes for years before it was open to hunting. The deer definitely knew where to be when the lights turned on but did quite well in the late season when there wasn't much left to eat in the park. A good number would slip up and not get across the road before light.

Buddy got drawn to hunt Highland Park this year. Shame can only have 6 doe tags at a time now.
    CTKsnowman
    Avid Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/05 19:03:29 (permalink)
    Moses Guthrie
    Hunted near Deer Lakes for years before it was open to hunting. The deer definitely knew where to be when the lights turned on but did quite well in the late season when there wasn't much left to eat in the park. A good number would slip up and not get across the road before light.

I know exactly what spot your referring to. 

- Dale Gribble
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/06 07:31:51 (permalink)
    Moses Guthrie
    Buddy got drawn to hunt Highland Park this year. Shame can only have 6 doe tags at a time now.

Yep. This is a problem in 2B and the southeast counties as well. This new system has people buying tags out of convenience and I would wager a lot of money that most of those never have serious effort put into filling them. I am sure that the number of tags it takes to harvest one doe is going up. The PGC needs to significantly raise allocations in these areas where deer need killed and access is an issue or go unlimited. There are guys with access into areas with way too many deer and they cannot get tags. 

Several guys I know generally only bought one tag. The last two years they have bought several just cause it is easy and they really won't put any effort into filling more than one. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/06 11:08:54 (permalink)
    I guess the question on why people who have multiple tags, but only use a few or one is why?

Is it because that they only “need” one or two deer for their personal needs any any more would be wasted?

They only need one or two for their personal needs and it becomes a chore to give away or donate any offers?

Other things in life become more important after there is meat in the freezer reducing the number of times one outs effort after the larder goal is achieved?

Or something completely different?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/06 17:55:38 (permalink)
    I think many buy an extra tag or two just in case the opportunity arises to do another hunt. Say if they shoot a doe on the first day then feel the itch to go out again, they have that extra tag. The reality is the majority of hunters these days are very casual ones and once that first tag is filled, there is little desire to head to the woods again so that tag sits there without a days hunt on it. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/07 07:37:40 (permalink)
    Since there are only 2 of us in the household, I know that once I have a deer in the larder, my enthusiasm for going out to get another one seriously wanes, especially if there is weather or something else to do involved.

I guess I have become that semi-casual hunter — hard core, full bore until I get one, then hunter of opportunity afterwards.

We just used our last burger, still have a few steaks, a couple of packs of cheese dogs, and enough hot, sweet, and loose sausage for a few meals. So the timing vs. usage is about right. Anymore would be wasteful.

In the past, I would get a few more and donate them, but all the local processors quit the Share the Harvest program due to red tape, paperwork, and oversight (read that as a bunch of extra work) by the PGC. One still will take the extra deer, process, and donate to families in their church, but they only take so many because the PGC has many folks scared of CWD to the point that needy folks aren’t taking the chance (even if it is small to zero).

I’m not into doing all the work to get an extra deer, then find out that the processor (there are only 2 left in the immediate area) won’t take them for donation because they have enough and have to pay for getting a deer done I don’t need or want.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/07 10:07:07 (permalink)
    I think the change in Dmaps being available is also playing apart in guys buying more for tags. Before you could get your Dmaps asap instead of waiting to the 3rd round. Now guys can get a cheaper doe tag earlier this instead of waiting on dmaps to be available. Last year Dmaps that usually sold out in August at latest had tags into rifle season and after. This year appears to be trending the same way with many Dmap areas having a lot of tags left.

My son and I enjoy deer hunting in every season. We hunt 2B, 2D and 2F from Allegheny county to the NY line. So we buy a good bit of doe and Dmap tags. If the freezers are full we have no issues finding someone who wants a deer.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/08 11:09:40 (permalink)
    dpms
    I think many buy an extra tag or two just in case the opportunity arises to do another hunt. Say if they shoot a doe on the first day then feel the itch to go out again, they have that extra tag. The reality is the majority of hunters these days are very casual ones and once that first tag is filled, there is little desire to head to the woods again so that tag sits there without a days hunt on it. 

Alot of hunters buy the tags not to use them so someone else doesn't get them to kill off all the does.    I had 6 doe tags last year and didn't use any.  Not that I didn't try.  Only had the opportunity to harvest one doe and I passed.  All the deer in my neck of the woods are on posted property that the landowner does not give permission to hunt.  I did however have permission to hunt a farm with 300+ acres and still didn't get a deer.  I got gout in my knee the second week of buck season and couldn't hunt.  Could barely walk let alone hunt.
    I got 3 tags this year and almost purchased 3 more but didn't.  I hunt in 2C. 
    Just my 2 cents worth.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/09 07:50:43 (permalink)
    Got the rest of my stands and blinds situated. One blind is 25 yards from a pear tree that is dropping and it looks like a barn yard under it. The good news is there are still some pears on it. The bad news is they are coming down pretty good and I have still have two weeks till the opener. I do not like hunting out of blinds but that is the only option on this one property. 

Something new for me this year is I am a part of a management hunt for some local boroughs. Lots of rules in place like having to shoot a doe before a buck, donating deer, how and where you can hunt. They have been after me for a few years to help them out. 

CTKsnowman
    Avid Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/09 10:10:46 (permalink)
    dpms
    Something new for me this year is I am a part of a management hunt for some local boroughs. Lots of rules in place like having to shoot a doe before a buck, donating deer, how and where you can hunt. They have been after me for a few years to help them out. 

That's cool hope it goes well for you. 

I remember a while back they tried something like that for North Park, my buddy told me the archery qualification part was ridiculously difficult (on purpose) and barely anyone qualified.

I have seen a lot of big bucks walking around RIDC in the evening. I looked up what it takes to archery hunt O’hara township awhile back, looked like tryouts are in early spring, and then probably other hoops to jump through as well.

- Dale Gribble
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Archery 24/25 2024/09/10 07:30:28 (permalink)
    CTKsnowman
    I remember a while back they tried something like that for North Park, my buddy told me the archery qualification part was ridiculously difficult (on purpose) and barely anyone qualified.

Qualification shoot for me was three arrows at unknown ranges into the kill zone of a 3d deer target.  I guessed the ranges were from around 15 to 26 yards. There were three guys shooting when I qualified. 1 fellow shot high on the furthest target so he was out. 

Jump to: