Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..41 Showing page 41 of 41
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3469
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2024/07/29 13:55:10 (permalink)
    Spent yesterday with my Dad. He told me in 1942 he swam across the river in Sharpsburg when raw sewage flowed in it 24-7, when he got almost to the other side there was a huge oil slick. Had to swim back. He prayed like never before in hopes to make it. He laid on the bank for over a hour and said  "never going to try that again" He can remember something from 80 ++ years ago but not 8 seconds ago.

Son took the pontoon up to East Brady a week ago and some of them went swimming. Think some kind of river event was going on.

Just smelled a Copperhead out by the waterfalls in the yard. Must be hunting Bullfrogs.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
Re: anyone fishing 2024/07/29 15:42:39 (permalink)
Good takes - glad your old man made it Crappie!

CT - I currently swim around redbank. Water is very clear, and doesn't seem to be much industry around there. 

thanks for the info folks.
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: anyone fishing 2024/07/29 19:51:22 (permalink)
Fished the big lake Tuesday thru Sunday. Not sure the fishing could get any better. 4-7 man boxes of eyes a day just depended on number of guys on the boat that day. 20+ Steelie hookups a day with 10+ landed each day with a brown on Friday and a Coho Sunday.

Biggest eye was about 7 lbs, Steelie was 11.15 lbs. Lots of 5-6 lb eyes. Bigger Eyes n Steelies in 100+ ft off the point.

5 color core and medium divers did most of the eye damage and a few steelies. Riggers and wire divers with spoons produced most of the steelhead.

There stretches we couldn't get more than a rod in each side or even attached to the planner board line before an eye was on.
Mitchell
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: anyone fishing 2024/07/29 22:51:07 (permalink)
Lived right in Freeport in '63. They had a big floating dock out in about 8' of water made of about 20 55gal drums and telephone poles with a wooden deck, with two low and one high diving boards on it. Our gang would be in the river by 10 AM and not get home 'til the streetlights came on at 9 PM. We'd go under the dock and pop up in the air pockets and play games like seein' who could make it to the top of the water from the bottom with the biggest rock in your arms. We'd swim out and catch the big waves from the J. K. Davidson and Glacial Sand and
gravel barges goin' up and down, and some days we'd swim across 3 or 4 times in a day and dive off the rocks on the other side. The Graff bridge (rte 356) was brand new then, and you could stand on the bridge and literally see the Kiski River coming down the east side of Allegheny 'cause the Kiski was so polluted with the mine drainage back then. The water on that side was so dirty, when ya got home, you couldn't even get a comb through your hair! Oh, to be young again!

Whenever you want to know what the Democrats are up to, watch what they accuse the other side of doing.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/07/30 10:44:43 (permalink)
 Moved to Oakmont in 1964 and lived there for 20 years. The Allegheny was my best friend for many of those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOtlPVe-Fs4
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/07/30 11:56:58 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Good takes - glad your old man made it Crappie!

Thanks DG, me too!! 

Least I found a new best friend called Arthur for the next 40 years and counting.

I was so disappointed when I received my first fishing rod. A old man (Mr. Evans) was babysitting me when I was 4 and asked if I would like to have a fishing pole? I was so excited and couldn't believe it. Figured I could put my Allegator in it and so on. He reached into a closet and handed me a metal stick, WTH!! What little did I know at the time. Must be getting like my father remembering from long ago but not what I just did.  
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: anyone fishing 2024/08/10 13:57:31 (permalink)
Fished Pool Seven on the Allegheny River today, never been so wasn't expecting much. Managed to catch one keeper walleye at the dam, and scouted a few islands for duck season.
Water temp was 75 degrees.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2027
Re: anyone fishing 2024/08/10 15:42:49 (permalink)
I’ve been spending time at my buddy’s cabin over the last few weeks and Ive been hitting tionesta creek between Nebraska and kelletville a bunch. I’ve pulled several 3 lbers and a ton of smaller ones out of it. That has to be some of the best summertime fishing that PA has to offer, and that’s a gorgeous creek.

Me and the girlfriend kayaked the Allegheny from west hickory to tionesta on Thursday. She caught a huge bass but inexplicably threw it back before I was able to paddle over and put it on the board. She said it was “the biggest fish I ever caught” (and she caught a legit 20” once). I also caught an 18 1/2” like 10 minutes later and she said her fish was bigger. I was close enough to see some big splashes when she was reeling it in, but I didn’t get a good look. Maybe she boated a 5lber? I guess we’ll never know…
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9817
Re: anyone fishing 2024/08/10 22:03:21 (permalink)
I hit Artie today. First time hitting the lake in forever, since summer usually blows. I wasn’t expecting much, why I haven’t been out in a while. Last time out was at Hatteras a month ago. Put my time in there and wasn’t great. Sort of took it on the chin probably 4 out of 6 days, so I have been sort of hesitant to take another. Started slow, got a cat and had a run that felt like a striper. So, of course stuck me in that spot for too long. Moved on and nothing at next spot. Moved again and nothing, but marked a butt ton at the end of my drift. So, I had to make another run. LOADED with stripers. Had some fun.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/08/25 14:23:52 (permalink)
Took my dad up to Dunkirk for the weekend, lots of activity in 110 FOW. The majority of the fish were between 70 and 100 foot down, and water temp was 76 degrees. We caught 4 walleye smallest was 19" largest was 26" trolling with purple spoons on the downriggers. Lost a pretty big laker at the boat, it was fun watching that thing doing back flips 100 feet behind the boat. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/08/31 14:04:35 (permalink)
Fished Kittanning this morning, the ramp and dock are pretty janky.  Caught 2 walleye, several smallmouth, and a ton white perch. I got off the water before the rain came down but the boat got soaked during the drive home. 

- Dale Gribble
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/09/02 12:49:26 (permalink)
Fished the Templeton area this morning, that stretch of the river is beautiful. Nothing was biting at the dam, tried trolling the deeper areas but no action. Managed to catch one walleye jigging near the bridge near the mouth of Mahoning Creek. 

- Dale Gribble
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/09/08 11:33:22 (permalink)
Fished Kittanning yesterday morning, I did pretty well for early September. 7 Walleye(four were legal length), and three smallmouth all before 9:30.  

- Dale Gribble
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9817
Re: anyone fishing 2024/09/08 13:15:41 (permalink)
Nice. I’d be happy with a day like that in prime fall/spring season!
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
Re: anyone fishing 2024/09/12 00:59:19 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
Fished the Templeton area this morning, that stretch of the river is beautiful. Nothing was biting at the dam, tried trolling the deeper areas but no action. Managed to catch one walleye jigging near the bridge near the mouth of Mahoning Creek. 

Honestly never see much action near there. Always end up with carp/cat/buffalo type deals. 
It is beautiful though
Page: << < ..41 Showing page 41 of 41
Jump to: