Spring LO Browns

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/28 16:16:20 (permalink)

Spring LO Browns

I have fished the Salmon River for about 7 years now and this spring I'd like to target the Brown Trout fishery along the shore of LO and have some questions.
#1. I have a 16 ft deep V and am wondering if that boat is large enough if I stay close to shore. I have fished from the shore in the springtime before and it appeared to me that the boats were trying to get as close to the shore as they dared. I realize a 16 footer isn't big enough if there is a blow, but I suspect it is big enough if I pick my days. Is it big enough if I stay within earshot of the shore?
#2. I'm used to fishing rivers and smaller lakes. Is there additional safety equipment that would be recommended?
#3. What would you consider the season for browns along the shore? I'm guessing from ice out until mid-May, depending upon the spring. What weeks are considered prime?
#4. I'm told that rapala type crankbaits work best--any other recommendations?

22 Replies Related Threads

Foxfire
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 18:01:03 (permalink)
    I've heard of people taking smaller boats out and as long as it is calm, you should be ok. I would not venture too far out. As for safty equipment, I would carry life vests, good 2 way radio, flares. (someone elso might want to chime in on this).

I would use spoons. Cleos have always worked for me in the past. I would target mouths of rivers, but the fishing is good close to shore on the lake in the spring.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 18:05:43 (permalink)
    Cell phone- just don't do like a guide friend of mine & drop it in the Lake.
    I'm doing the BT this spring from land if I can get there.

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 18:53:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: EagleCrg

I have fished the Salmon River for about 7 years now and this spring I'd like to target the Brown Trout fishery along the shore of LO and have some questions.
    #1. I have a 16 ft deep V and am wondering if that boat is large enough if I stay close to shore. I have fished from the shore in the springtime before and it appeared to me that the boats were trying to get as close to the shore as they dared. I realize a 16 footer isn't big enough if there is a blow, but I suspect it is big enough if I pick my days. Is it big enough if I stay within earshot of the shore?
    #2. I'm used to fishing rivers and smaller lakes. Is there additional safety equipment that would be recommended?
    #3. What would you consider the season for browns along the shore? I'm guessing from ice out until mid-May, depending upon the spring. What weeks are considered prime?
    #4. I'm told that rapala type crankbaits work best--any other recommendations?

A 16' boat will be fine if you go when the wind is from the south.As you said don't go out far.A radio would be good if you had one,but not real necessary.
    The browns will be in close in the spring so there is no reason to go out,troll with planers until you hit some then you might try some casting.I found medium size spoons to work well when I fished from my 17' boat years ago.
    The time frame you mentioned is right on.If you get there and the lake is too rough you can fish from shore,Selkirk Shores is a good spot.Also I found that line size can make a difference when they are in close,6 lb flora tippet might make a difference.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 20:23:50 (permalink)
    What flyrod,line ect would you use to catch browns off the shores of LO?What kind of fly?Sounds hard but super fun.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 21:04:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jonnyfishon

What flyrod,line ect would you use to catch browns off the shores of LO?What kind of fly?Sounds hard but super fun.

Jonny:  I use spinning gear when I fish the lake--save the fly gear for the river.  Sorry I can't help you there.  I would think a rod that could throw streamers into the wind would be needed from shore though.  I've caught browns at Selkirk close enough to reach with a fly rod, just haven't tried it in the lake.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 21:29:23 (permalink)
    Sorry eagle i meant to direct that ? to salmo.Ive been out on the lake in a 16 foot flat bottom boat for smallies.If it nice its all right.Spare motor always good.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 21:53:11 (permalink)
    It's a Great Lake and therefore under Federal rules.  Check the Coast Guard regulations to be sure, but fire extinguishers, signaling devices (flares, horns, etc), PFD's, etc are all required for day and night (lights on a foggy day, for example) and they don't mess around, no washy, you get ticket!  16 feet, it's a question of how far away from the harbor of refuge or can you dump it up on the beach if it rolls up and gets gnarly, and it'll be harder on the boat in the breakers, which is where the BT will be in the early spring, until mid May, early June. Stay within 2 miles of your launch site and work back and forth parallel to shore if you're worried, and be ready to pick up fast and screw if it looks like it's changing. LO can go from a lamb to a lion in 20 minutes!

Light line and far back and planed to the side have been early spring BT tactics for years.  And these fish can be 6 feet from shore, so if you don't have a boat, come on up anyway and cast from shore!

L13
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/28 21:57:37 (permalink)
    So true about the rules.A friend of mine got a ticket for haveing a hole the size of a nickle in his life vest.
    dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/29 11:05:21 (permalink)
    Lou, you can fish many days in your 16 ft boat. The browns are in close to shore until June.Water temp is key to a good bite.Also boat speed is key. Slow in the Spring. 1.5 mi per hr. When the temp gets above 50 they seem to turn on.You can put in at Wright's Landing and fish Oswego Harbor every morning. You need to be on the water by first light and the bite will last until about 8 to 8.30 on most days. After that they head back out into the lake. The harbor is full of 16 ft boats. Mexico Bay is another good spot for small boats. You can put in at Salmon Country Marine or Selkirk Shores State Launch. You can flat line spoons off planers, or way back off the back of the boat. As far as federal regs, not sure on a boat that small. I don't think they are the same as over 18ft. Life jackets and a whisle for sure. Hope that helps some.

Dakota Man
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/02/29 17:05:40 (permalink)
    I fish an 8wt. up there for about everything. I've done some (not much) fishing from the mouths of creeks at the lake. Cast out some & strip line- let the incoming flow get the line out farther. A 6wt. would work too I'm sure. I may give mine a go this spring. Just have plenty of backing. Know what I mean?
    Fish Streamers. The Browns are feeding on baitfish & I would think Par Salmon & Steelhead coming out of the river.
    Cast out- strip in & repeat several hundred times. You should catch a fish?

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 03:20:56 (permalink)
    Fuse I have used everything from a 3wt to an 8 wt. They all work but the best compromise for me is a 6 wt. Enough baxkbone to fire #6-4 streamers into a wind and put the wood to the browns and droppies hanging round the creek mouths while being lite enough to make it interesting when hooked up.
    Fish mostly alwife and smelt patterns, green-white, blue-white color combos mostly myself. Swinging deep in outflow currents is the most productive but there are days when they are swirling in the film chasing and if you can hit the swirl quickly it is an almost sure hookup. No weight or sinking required just hit the spot and hold on.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 19:37:25 (permalink)
    Great posts. Just so you know Johnny- I'm not the expert here. Wish I was, but it isn't that way.

Lyrical
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 19:59:21 (permalink)
    Great posts. Just so you know Johnny- I'm not the expert here. Wish I was, but it isn't that way.

Many days you might out fish the "expert"does that mean he knows more than you?Or do you know something he does'nt. I can learn something from every one.Everybody has their own trick.Trick and a treat.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 20:22:46 (permalink)
    You can't go wrong with any of the tips given to you.

CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOU COMPLY WITH THE BOATING LAWS! Coast Guard checks lots of boaters!

If you get stuck on the shore fishing, 10' noodle rod, 8# good flouro., and 3/4 oz. Cleos worked for me.

Good luck. OTH
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 20:35:19 (permalink)
    WTF:
    just because the login says expert nobody in this world is an expert at anything
    to me expert means knowing all and all knowing
    it's all called fishing not catching
    the information given is from others experience, take, use it as you choose
    personally i like other experience input, it helps in development as an angler
    where would one be without free internet advice ?
    trial by fire... if thats your deal than no need to look here.
     been there for 20 years, this is the highway, like it or not.. i do not.
    thanks to all that responded.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 21:34:04 (permalink)
    Tuna- wasn't referring to anyone. The point I was making is I just do what I do. Sometimes I luck into fish.
    I never looked by the avatards. Does call you an expert. LOL
    I don't have any fishing rank.
    Give me a slow flowing Spring Creek, Stream Bred Brown Trout & I may be a little closer to an expert.
    That's my true love.......

Lyrical
    CWTrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 23:32:36 (permalink)
        Hey guys       I was wondering how long dose brown trout stay in the salmon before they head back out to the lake.
    CWTrout
    New Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/01 23:39:24 (permalink)
    Hey guys I was wondering how long dose the brown trout stay in the salmon river before they head back out to the lake.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/30 01:32:40 (permalink)
    Should be some action in the next few weeks? Bump.

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/03/30 09:29:54 (permalink)
    This is the general  timeframe when they move in close. Water temps are the main trigger. When the smelt and mooneyes move in to spawn the browns will put thier noses on the beach chasing them.
    CWTrout
    New Angler
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/04/03 18:05:24 (permalink)
    Hey Guys just wanted to give a little fishing report.Went to the Salmon river Easter weekend with 5 other friends and we all hooked up with a few stealheads and all of us caught a couple.We were hopeing for a few browns but we did not have any luck for them.Some of the guys we met up there caught a few.We had a lot of fun catching stealheads.Hope to go back next year.                                                
                       Good luck guys
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Spring LO Browns 2008/04/03 19:26:46 (permalink)
    Your magic depth should be about 9 ft (give or take) anywhere near current or breaks.  Like most have said they are not far out.  Spoons do work well (especially Krockodiles and Kastmaster styles).  That said, I would trade every spoon in the box for a 1/2 oz. white bucktail jig with a lima bean head, served with red thread and a black/red eye.  I can't believe I let that out Finding schools isn't too bad, the browns are feeding on smelt and the birds should be close by picking up any loose parts.  Often times you can see them schooling and breaking water as the baitfish scramble for the surface.
    post edited by griffon - 2008/04/03 19:28:38
    Jump to: