Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/17 18:44:03 (permalink)

Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations

The PGC set proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations at todays meeting.  Most units remain unchanged from last year.  In the western part of the state 2A gets a 5000 increase from last year. 

Proposed allocations will be voted on tommorrow.

19 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/17 21:24:22 (permalink)
    This thread should get interesting.....I'm just waiting for it to turn into a crying session for people not seeing enough deer.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/17 21:48:39 (permalink)
    You guys just don't get it.  There's plenty deer.  Just way to many people.
    Travis46
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 02:47:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

You guys just don't get it.  There's plenty deer.  Just way to many people.

I like that way of thinking. 

Myself, I seen plenty of deer last year.  Not as many as years past, but still enough to keep me happy.  In 2C on the other hand, the week that I hunted a couple different places in that area that I've always seen deer,  I didn't see a single deer last year.  And no, I don't just get out of the truck and sit on the closest hill.  My brother had a bear walk in front of him, but that was the only action we got out of 2C last year.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 08:11:00 (permalink)
    If you own or have access to private land as Drake and some others do then the number of deer shouldn't be a problem since you control the numbers, not the PGC. If you hunt on public land as most do then there are many areas of the state where the herd reduction program has made the probability of success marginal at best for the average hunter.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 10:00:11 (permalink)
    I could care less. I bought my last doe tag ever last season. I had the opportunity to fill it 3 times and never did. I dont NEEEEEEEEEEED venison in my freezer, if I have it, great, if I dont...ill buy a roast.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 11:31:47 (permalink)
    Agreed.  We hunt private land in 2A and we have begun to see the effects of HR here as well.  We try our best at selective harvest with shooting mature bucks and does but numbers are down a little from 5 years ago even on private land  (which is a good thing).

Public land in this unit is getting hammered though.  And with another 5000 tags available it will surely get worse.  It is all about the access.  If you have it great.  If you don't, the hunting will not be what it used to.  But that shouldn't be what to expect either.

We will see today if they give final approval after the behind the scenes politics that surely ran well into the night.
    post edited by dpms - 2007/04/18 11:33:21
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 11:37:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

If you own or have access to private land as Drake and some others do then the number of deer shouldn't be a problem since you control the numbers, not the PGC. If you hunt on public land as most do then there are many areas of the state where the herd reduction program has made the probability of success marginal at best for the average hunter.

Yes, I do have my own ground to hunt on, but I also hunt gamelands a few days each year in archery. I find that in archery season, there are plenty of deer on the gamelands that I hunt. However, once the gamelands get crowded out in rifle season, those deer seem to disapear. I'm not sure its so much a problem with deer numbers as it is a problem with the number of hunters hunting certain gamelands. I can think of at least 3 local gamelands that have barely been used here in central PA, and when they are used, the hunters will walk about 100 yards from there car, and only sit for 1 hour. Then, they complain that they saw no deer. The gamelands I am talking about are not the easiest hunt because there are a lot of hills to climb, and thick brush to tangle with, but in my opinion, that is where you should be hunting anyway. This is the situation in my area, in central PA, I cant really comment on other areas.

Yes, there are fewer deer, but keep in mind we have more hunters in PA than any other state in the country. In my opinion, we also have some of the laziest hunters in the country. As there are fewer deer, we need to get smarter about how we hunt. Unfortunatley, there are plenty of hunters not willing to do that. BTW, I am not talking about anyone on this board, I'm talking about people in the area I live.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 12:39:51 (permalink)
    Drake-- It's interesting you think we have some of the laziest hunters around. I have hunted 10 states and provinces and without fail Pa hunters have the reputation as being the hardest and most dedicated hunters amoung the guides and other hunters I have talked too. That's not to say we all are but apparently the ones who hunt out of state leave that impression with the locals. The main problem I am having with HR is in my area small groups of hunters are leasing the farms and timber company land and posting them to keep the deer numbers to there liking and not the PGC's. This also pushes more hunters onto the remaining open land which decimates the accessable deer and causes more landowner problems. Sort of like the Steelhead fishery.  P.S. How do I get the (in reply to) to show up on the bottom right of my post?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 13:15:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Drake-- It's interesting you think we have some of the laziest hunters around. I have hunted 10 states and provinces and without fail Pa hunters have the reputation as being the hardest and most dedicated hunters amoung the guides and other hunters I have talked too. That's not to say we all are but apparently the ones who hunt out of state leave that impression with the locals. The main problem I am having with HR is in my area small groups of hunters are leasing the farms and timber company land and posting them to keep the deer numbers to there liking and not the PGC's. This also pushes more hunters onto the remaining open land which decimates the accessable deer and causes more landowner problems. Sort of like the Steelhead fishery.  P.S. How do I get the (in reply to) to show up on the bottom right of my post?

I'm sure a lot of the hunters who leave the state are very dedicated. That is probably why they are hunting in many different states to begin with. Like I said earlier, I am speaking about hunters in my neck of the woods. I couldnt count how many times I've seen blaze orange from a gamelands parking lot or road,at times when there are only one or two cars parked in the lot. I also cant remember how many times i've heard of people getting busted for road hunting around here,during rifle season.

PS. to get the "in reply to" to come up, just click on "reply" on the post that you want to respond to.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/18 16:58:10 (permalink)
    Seing deer boils down to very few factors, and distance from the car doesnt necessarly matter. The buck I shot last fall was 100 yards from the truck, I could have almost spit on the road.

You gotta pattern them, and rifle season is a joke for patterning. Most people dont hunt archery, I find thats most people not seing deer. Additionally, you gotta hunt where theres food/water/cover. Open woods are not like they used to be. Deer are much smarter. 20 years ago, you could have prob put a stand up 10 feet and shot deer all day. I never go less then 25. You gotta have queit gear, be scent free in every form from clothing to showers. Watch the wind, use cover scent... apply the right attracting scents at the right time. I think people think you can just slap doe in heat out there at any time and be successful. It HAS a timeframe! I dont care if 1000 studies are done, you will never see me **** out of my treestand or around my treestand. Its a time game, get there before light and stay put. It was 28 the morning I shot my deer, I was on stand for 5 hours before he(one and only all day) showed up. Many people think once they get in a stand they can do whatever, you still gotta be still. You wanna talk about extream? My WATER BOTTLES are covered in camo tape.

Its the little things that make people successful these days, hunting isnt even remotely close to what it was like ten years ago, i will attest to that. I definately see less deer, but its pretty rare that when I do all the preperation that I dont see deer. Patience is a thing a lot of people dont have.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/19 01:30:23 (permalink)
    whhhoooooaaa there Jeremy.  Excuse my comments, take them as constructive.

25 feet?!? 

Why, may I ask?

Bad idea for 3 reasons.

1. If you fall, you're dead, for sure.  I'm not going to dig but I remember you saying you DON'T wear any safety device while ascending or descending (at least on a hang-on).   1 in 3 hunters fall.  85% of falls occur while ascending/descending.

2. Bad angle.  You will miss or spine deer that you otherwise shouldn't have, even if you bend at the waist, even if you shoot a pendulum sight, even if everything is perfect.  If it hasn't happened yet, it will.   What do you think the perfect angle is?  45 degrees?  What's too much of an angle?  We can do some math to figure the closest you should be shooting (in terms of yardage) at a height of 25 feet based on your angle preference..

3.  Too high for optimal shooting lanes (at least the Pennsylvania trees I climb).  Right at about 17-18 feet is generally where limbs from other trees start to interfere with shooting lanes.  This can cause deflections, obviously.  This is assuming I'm wanting to shoot at 15-25 yards, which is likely the case.  That said, I don't get up your trees but can be pretty sure you are sacrificing shooting lanes/good angles ... for height, which is not necessary.

The good?

I really can't think of any.

Scent control?  ggrrr.. take a smokebomb up at 25 feet.  Watch the smoke.  Move to 16 feet, light another ...   there's no difference.  There ARE times, although rare, where wind/thermals will lift once they are downwind of you carrying your scent above the animal.  But again, the difference between 16 and 25 is little.   Like you said above...wind, wind, wind.  Scent lok, hunters specialities, scent cover, scent blocker, gumaflauge ... yadda yadda.  I can not say they don't help because certainly they may but anyone who thinks they can fool a whitetails nose is a donuthead.  You're not a donuthead. 

Height advantage?  eh.. not really, maybe a little, but again the sacrifice is not worth it.  Whitetails have 330 degree peripheral vision. It is my belief that, if you don't have the correct background and/or pattern, or you move too quickly, you're going to get busted at 7, 14 or 25.  Background cover is more important to me than height, but that's just me.

I hope you wear a safety device. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/19 07:44:30 (permalink)
    I wear a hunters saftey system jon boat! ALL THE TIME!

When have you ever had a perfect shot? I can count on one hand the amount of times I have. Yes branches start getting in the way at that height, you gotta just pick your shots, know where they are and not just fling arrows just for the sake of flinging them(not saying you do). At 25 feet Ive never been picked out, at roughly 15, a million times. You should be getting up into those branches so that it breaks up the forground between you and the deer. Everyone always worries about the backdrop but really the foreground is what matters more. Im not saying you dont gotta watch the sun and shadows but for me, 25 feet is the ticket. I like being broken up from all angles. If your not in those branches, then why do they make camo with branches in it? Try it man, get up there with some branches breaking up the foreground of where you think the deer are coming from, if you dont see more deer getting up there, ill buy you lunch .
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/19 10:00:35 (permalink)
    j--

Actually, the only shot I take is the perfect shot.

Camo with branches is the same reason Sage come out with a new fly rod every year.  It's marketing.  Camo is another interesting topic, which IMO is wayyy overrated (at least product turnover).  Was it really necessary for mossy oak to add a green leaf in their breakup pattern?  For effectiveness?  No.  For marketing?  You bet.  My favorite all-time camo BY FAR is the first realtree ever made... that camo doesn't even have any branches on it.  The more faded it is, the more I like it.   If you keep up on the "in" camo, I think you're only hurting yourself.  Todays camo IMO is wayyyy too dark (except for rainy days when the trees are wet IMO).  These commercials you see on the outdoor channel are under "their" conditions, not real ones.  They create the perfect situation for marketing their product.  While some may blend in better than others .. to the human eye, I don't think it's much of a difference to a deer.  Now, I'm not a deer obviously  .. but I've shot deer in a solid cream sweatshirt before.  To me, not moving while being able to see the deer's eyes is more important than the best camo pattern, or height, or cover, or truthfully, anything........    I have never once, been busted drawing my bow.   Someday, it's going to get me and perhaps on the one I want most BUT .. I take much pride in that and make a point to continue that.  Maybe I've passed on a few opportunities that I could capitialized on because of my pride .. oh well..

Anyway, colors in camo...   keep in mind, I shoot all white arrows, head to toe.  This, seriously, blows people's minds.  People look at me like I'm on crack.     HOWEVER, the last deer I shot with a bow was seriously only about five yards when I first saw her.  She looked up at me 5/6 times.  I (not by choice) was only up about 12 feet .. she was eye level with me.  She saw something goofy obviously, but the pine tree behind me did the job.  Now .. what if I would have been up 25 feet?  I know I wouldn't have taken that shot.  I also try to use double and triple trees for cover.  Some guys make sure all fletchings are dark color in fear of being seen.  I think those fellers are do jumpin-jacks or something.  I had a fella ask me if I thought one yellow fletching was a bad idea .. yet he doesn't notch an arrow until he sees a deer.  HELLLLLLOOOOO!!!!!!!!! 

Anyway .. we must be hunting different types of trees and forests because I couldn't even shoot 25 yards at 25 feet.  You can bet I'm usually getting up in white or red oaks.  The trees I get up have branches at 25 feet, more often than not.  If the branches are higher, chances are I can't get my stand around it.

Good to hear you wear a safety device.  That's what is ultimately important. 

TT .. there's too many people     ......"where you hunt."

You know what to do and you got eight months to do it.  What's it going to be come December....
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/04/19 10:02:29

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/19 10:55:48 (permalink)
    Hopefully, I'll be spending around 20 days on the streams like I did this last December.

I'll be putting many holes in paper this summer to ensure that I'm totally comfortable shooting my flinter from ALL positions.  It truly does take more than a few trips to the range to be proficient with that flash going off in your face.

I'll be sticking my target bag so much that I'll be needing to replace the burlap.  It's been 2yrs since I really shot my crossbow enough. 

Once I get my new scope, I'll be shooting a couple ammo boxes through my .270wsm.  In fact, I hope to shoot all the guns with the children often this summer.

To put it simply, I'll be as tuned in as my weapons.  I haven't had the chances to shoot in recent years. That will change this summer.   Especially with the oldest being a year away from hunting age, I've got to get back to where I was several years ago.   Growing up in the country, we shot the rifles from the deck.  I don't think my neighbors now would appreciate me plinking 20yds from their kitchen.

And when the range is crowded, it will be just like rifle season on the hill the past 2 years.  Practice for all situations.
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/04/19 10:58:10
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/25 03:08:29 (permalink)
    I've tried 25 feet but not comfortable with it. I like 15 to 20 foot max basicly because I've had too much of a problem shooting down at a bad angle especially early in the season when there is still a lot of folage and those critters creep in on you without you seeing them until they are right under you. I use orange and white fletching on my arrows. When shooting at a steep angle your target/vital area is minimized and there is too much of a chance of a bad hit. Not to mention the strain of shooting from an ackward bent over position which I find very uncomfortable.

A harness is a must going up and coming down.....every year you hear of several people severly injured or killed because they either didn't have a harness on or were not using it properly. A fellow I worked with was not useing a harness, fell from his stand and fractured three bones in his neck and broke an arm. He was lucky with three broken bones in his neck and a broken arm. Took a year but he fully recovered. Don't tempt fate!
    Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/26 19:18:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Seing deer boils down to very few factors, and distance from the car doesnt necessarly matter. The buck I shot last fall was 100 yards from the truck, I could have almost spit on the road.

Seeing deer boils down to one very simple factor -- time.  If you don't have the time to put into it, the results will not be favorable.  And in today's world, many people do not have or prioritize to put in the time -- either reading, researching, scouting, or hunting.  There are just so many more things to do and many more things vying for our precious leisure time.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/04/27 22:22:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I wear a hunters saftey system jon boat! ALL THE TIME!

When have you ever had a perfect shot? I can count on one hand the amount of times I have. Yes branches start getting in the way at that height, you gotta just pick your shots, know where they are and not just fling arrows just for the sake of flinging them(not saying you do). At 25 feet Ive never been picked out, at roughly 15, a million times. You should be getting up into those branches so that it breaks up the forground between you and the deer. Everyone always worries about the backdrop but really the foreground is what matters more. Im not saying you dont gotta watch the sun and shadows but for me, 25 feet is the ticket. I like being broken up from all angles. If your not in those branches, then why do they make camo with branches in it? Try it man, get up there with some branches breaking up the foreground of where you think the deer are coming from, if you dont see more deer getting up there, ill buy you lunch .

I typically go 18-20 feet in most of my stands. I know exactly how high I go because the rope I use is to pull my bow up the tree is 25 feet long. I very rarely use the full length of the rope.

I killed a doe on the first day of archery that was about 8 yards from the base of the tree I was in. I was about 20 feet high in the tree when I shot. The arrow entered the deer High on its left side, and exited low on the opposite side. The arrow passed through both lungs and stopped the deer within 30yds. After retreiving the deer, I realized that if I was much higher in the tree, the arrow would have passed through the deer at much too steep of an angle. I felt confident about the shot, because I had taken this shot from the same tree a few years back. After seeing the results, I have decided not to take close shots like that from anything higher than 20 feet up.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/05/14 17:31:01 (permalink)
    I try not to climb so far up the tree that my stand is out of range of the deer.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed 2007/2008 antlerless allocations 2007/05/15 16:08:55 (permalink)
    LOL
    Jump to: