Boating

Author
ronnie84
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/17 17:54:06 (permalink)

Boating

I never hear or read too much about guys fly fishing from a boat and I was wondering if anyone here does. If so, how do you rig to do it? I imagine casting towards shore for crappie or bass wouldn't require much more than standard WF line and 9 foot or so leader, maybe a shot or two 14 inches or so up, but what about deep water? I would think you'd want some sinking line.

I wonder what it would be like, if it's even possible for that matter, drifting a leech pattern in 14 foot of water on the sandbars at Pymatuning...

5 Replies Related Threads

Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Boating 2007/04/17 18:45:16 (permalink)
    I fly fish from a boat almost totally. I do very little floating line fishing. I have four or five rods setup with different sink rate lines. We fish up to 40 ft deep. Last spring we were catching walleye in 28 ft of water off walnut. If you watch most other fisherman they catch most fish under water not on top. Even casting in shallow water close to shore under water flies work best. I guess doing a lot of saltwater boat flyfishing has helped me to use these same technics in fresh.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Boating 2007/04/17 18:50:55 (permalink)
    Jim.  Glad to see you joined the site.  I e-mailed you about joining the gem city fly tiers recently.

Mike
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Boating 2007/04/23 19:34:16 (permalink)
    I'm probably going to be looking to purchase an additional spool for my 8wt Battenkill, no idea what to look for in sinking lines though. I'll be fishing waters with depths of no more than 35 feet or so.

Sharpefly (or anyone else), what methods or techniques do you use when fishing from a boat? When you have water that's basically at a standstill I would imagine that it would be tough to nymph fish. All I can think of is swinging or slow trolling wets or streamers...
    Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Boating 2007/04/24 20:20:34 (permalink)
    Ronnie    I use Rio Outbound lines and Airflow.  The Rio has a intemediate running line and 35 ft sinking head. I use 6 and 8 inches a second sink rates. my Airflows are floating running line and 7 inch sink rate. Rio also has a Deep 7 full sink line that works well also. Line management is something you have to watch. Using a stripping basket or keeping it from getting tangled on boat objects and your feet. Casting you false cast the weighted tip out the end of you rod then let that pull the running line out. With a little practice you can cast 80 to 100 ft of line.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Boating 2007/04/24 23:34:25 (permalink)
    While sunken flies often catch more (and larger) fish, most of my fishing in the bay is done with deerhair bugs, and occasionally poppers.  During the low light periods of the day top water baits can provide some intense action.  Unfortunately, the low light periods are limited to a few hours each day.

Good to see you posting Jim.  You bring a wealth of knowledge to the boards.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Jump to: