Fly Fishing

Author
Angler21
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/15 18:44:07 (permalink)

Fly Fishing

Hello, new to the site but it looks like a great place to share info.  I have been spin fishing for trout for about 7 years now and would like to try fly fishing this season.  I'm looking for any pointers from what kind of set up to buy for a first fly rod to stream fly fishing techniques.  Thanks for the help!

9 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 19:12:24 (permalink)
    If you will be using it for trout only, a 4wt would be my first choice.  I like 9' rods but you will have to decide what length is best for you.  A mod/fast action rod would be the most-versatille and the most forgiving for a beginner.  Perhaps the best way to decide what you like is to try it.  Before you buy any rod make sure  you cast it first.  Better yet, find someone who fly-fishes and bug them to take you along to try out their gear.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 19:59:50 (permalink)
    Angler21,
                for a starter rod,give Cabelas a try,my son has broken his many times and they have replaced it for free.Are there better rod's out there,yes,the return policy cannot be beat.I live north of Pgh. and have a few flyrods,more than gladly hook up with ya let you give it a try.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 20:25:31 (permalink)
    In a word K.I.S.S., thats the best way to explain your getting into the fly rod. Don't make it more complicated then it actually is. Do you need to cast 60 ft, no. Do you need to know the finer points of the overhand cast and its timing, no. Not yet. If your steelhead fishing 99% of the casts are nothing more than a roll cast. Just a quick flip of the wrist.

Pick up w/ someone that is currently using the rod or better yet an open house at a local fly shop. I know its been said before and few people agree when it come to the erie steel, but get a guide for a day and be honest w/ them. Let them know your intentions and the lack of experience you have w/ the rod.Convey your thoughts of what you expect from the day w/ them and ask what they will offer you. If you know knots, let hem know, less time will be spent on that aspect of the sport.

If your looking for your first rod, try some one else's, if that not possible keep it cost effective. These is no reason to dump a weeks pay on a whim. It may be just that a whim. Now that the spring season is coming the local ponds offer great spots to start the sport. Sunfish are an amazing ego booster.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 21:19:17 (permalink)
    I bought one at wally world cheap, combo outfit. That all ya need to start. Get some 14-16 bead heads and a small trout float. Add a split shot to match the speed and depth of the stream and set your float so that you tick the bottom. The float may just pause or it can be sucked right down. May be a snag or a fish.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 21:35:47 (permalink)
    Angler 21,
           I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Go to Wal-Mart and get a cheap Shakespeare fly rod.  I comes with rod, reel, line, leader, and backing (I think) and a nice little book.  Then get yourself about 2 dozen flies in a mixed lot like fish usa sells.  Then practice, practice, practice, try to hook up with an experienced angler and see if he will let you try his rig(s) to get the feel of the equipment.  I'll admit the Shakespeare rods have all the class of a 2 x 4 but they will move a fly and land a fish and that's all you'll need to start.
           Don't be afraid to ask questions of other fly fishermen.  Most will gladly help you out.  AND if you run across the guy who just happens to tie . . . . he will probably hook you up with some good flies that work.  Good Luck and tight lines

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 22:26:08 (permalink)
    Employees at a local flyshop will help you a great deal. There are local flyshops everywhere, or atleast within an hour or so of everywhere. Find one if you dont have a friend or family member who flyfishes. Also dont be afraid to read books and ask other anglers questions on the streams. If you tell them you are just starting out most will be extremly nice and helpful.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/15 23:28:22 (permalink)
    i would suggest a 5wt. 8'6". get a dvd or vcr tape and watch and learn how to cast if you don't want to or have a chance to learn from someone first hand. practice!
    you are used to using bait with confidence so don't be afraid to use bait on the fly rod first and get used to catching and playing the fish in.
    once you accomplish these two tasks, with learning how to tie knots, now you're ready to concentrate on catching fish on the fly.
    like saltyfisher says, start by catching easy fish first, blue gills as such.
    take it one step at a time until you're cinfident then go to the next step.
    good luck. like the other guys say, don't be affraid to ask some one out on the stream, you'll get to know which ones to ask and who not to.  

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/16 10:53:17 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Salty, start with roll casting, its easy and less frustrating.  Then go from there.
    Angler21
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Fly Fishing 2008/02/16 15:32:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.  I go to school at IUP and have a few friends that fly fish up here, so I'll go along with them a few times before I make up my mind.    
    Jump to: