invasive worms

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2019/09/08 23:17:38 (permalink)

invasive worms

While reading the last issue of The Penna. Fish & boat mag. I came across a field note from a WCO describing an invasive specie of worm called the Asian Jumping worm. After googleing it I found out that it is actually destructive to the soil. They look a lot like reg.nightcrawlers except that the band around the top section is not raised like a crawler's is. They are very quick & agile & if you squeeze them too hard they will break off in their effort to get away. I was trying to get a couple,not knowing that they were different,but they were very hard to catch even though they stay on top of the ground. I had a styro.coffee cup that I was going to keep them in til I got back to fishing but I couldn't keep them in without a lid.Also even tho they were so active I didn't get a bite on them. I was told that if I got any more that the best thing to do with the extras would be to kill them but not to take the live ones to another place.  Was cool to see something so interesting.   sam

5 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: invasive worms 2019/09/08 23:28:43 (permalink)
    Sam I couldn't resist and sure enough found a video about the Asian "Crazy" Worm, as they were called in the article.

Yinz gotta see it folks..... stupid fish probably won't be able to catch these things.

https://binged.it/2LvfaLi

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/08 23:30:11

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: invasive worms 2019/09/09 11:27:41 (permalink)
    I use them for fishing. They love my mulch piles. There not as big as night crawlers. They break as soon as you grab them so I put both half’s on the hook.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: invasive worms 2019/09/09 13:58:30 (permalink)
    solitario, Do you find them better or the same as other worms? You would think that with all of that action that they would be great,although I didn't get anything while I used them,but that was only one time as I usually use jigs.  sam
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: invasive worms 2019/09/09 17:39:32 (permalink)
    When I used them for trout it’s the same. Nothing different.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    Re: invasive worms 2019/09/10 17:06:35 (permalink)
    They look like they're all hopped up from snorting the Marijuanas.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Jump to: