lakemaster vs navionics charts

Author
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2019/06/26 07:33:59 (permalink)

lakemaster vs navionics charts

I am preparing to buy a Chart Card for my Hummingbird Helix. I am leaning toward the Navonics Gold US and Canada as it has all the lakes I fish here in US and also where I go in Canada. Anyone with good or bad experiences with either chart manufactures I would appreciate some input. 

17 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/27 14:01:06 (permalink)
    What brand of Fish finder do you have? I been looking at buying a new Lowrance for my boat, and I'm leaning towards Navonics. If you have a Humminbird, Lakemaster is better option.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/27 20:55:30 (permalink)
    I have a hummingbird helix that claims to accept navonics. Navonics I am considering gives me all the waters I want and includes where I fish in Ontario. Lakemaster Northeast does not have Mosqueto or Chatauqua or Ontario. However a friend claimes the lakemaster has more detail. Detail does not mean much if the lakes are not included. I fish Pymy a lot and it is a lake where details are everything. What to do? What to do?
    post edited by treesparrow - 2019/06/28 15:06:54
    Coljo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/27 22:34:31 (permalink)
    I use the Humminbird FishSmart Lakemaster map for Pymie on my Helix 10.  No doubt it is superior to the Navionics (that I concurrently run on my Lowrance chartplotter)...  I use the Lowrance because it supports maps generated by third party vendors.  Have to say that I have not upgraded my Navionics card for a while, but may soon.  If you want to take a look let me know since you bought a boat from me.  If the upgrade leaves an older card you are welcome to it.
    Coljo
    New Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/27 22:58:12 (permalink)
    ...and if I was not generating my own maps on third party software I would go with the Humminbird every time.  I have had them both working figure 8's around buoys.  The Humminbird would show nice 8's, while the Lowrance would show something a kindergartner would draw (don't want any grief, your mileage may vary).  Also, I upgraded my system recently to include control to a Motorguide Xi5 trolling motor.  It still isn't working since February with Motorguide and Lowrance (technically the same company) pointing fingers at each other.  Can't say Humminbird/Minn-Kota would be better but I wish I would have gone that route.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/28 08:09:13 (permalink)
    Lowrance is coming out with a fancy new trolling motor in July or August....but its going to cost an arm and a leg
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/28 08:55:36 (permalink)
    coljo, PSU fish,
    coljo,sorry to hear about your motorguide hope you get that sorted out.  I have been very busy with projects this spring early summer. Fished when I could and have done fair.
    Both of you, This lake chart decision has me really scratching my head. Lakemaster on the phone is useless as you talk to foreigners who can recite the brochures and nothing else. Navonics has the best coverage of lakes that I fish and I can not believe lakemaster does not have Chatauqua in its NE mapping. Neither one lists Wilhelm, however on a navonics web site they have Wilhelm charted. For companies that push technological products they both lack adequate customer interface.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/28 08:57:50 (permalink)
    I just got a new trolling motor and fish finder made by 'BetrrHaaf'. Bought the wife a new set of oars and a snorkel. ☺☺☺

He heeee.... tell my wife I said that and I'll deny deny deny!!! 😜

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/28 09:24:20 (permalink)
    Sparrow have ya tried the Navionics App for your phone/tablet/laptop?

I have both the App on my phone and a map chart on my Helix 7 for Pymie and Arthur. Personally, I prefer the App.

Phone App has Willhelm too.

Haven't tried it yet, but an all new version has just been downloaded to my phone. I'm hoping to use the phone "hotspot" (I have a "JetPack" but ya need cell service to use it) and cast the App to an old 17" laptop.

The gooder part with the 17" laptop, when the fish aint bitin, I'm watching TV orrrrr doing my PiYo workouts 😴😴😴.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9685
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/28 10:35:52 (permalink)
    I agree with BTDT on the mobile Navionics being nicer than the one that I have on my HB 859.  Both get me to where I want to go on familiar waters.  

The mobile is interactive, or at least was/is, if you do the update.  I haven't, since I wasn't sure if updating would charge me again, or take away my old app if I didn't pay...  I use as a back up or if I am off of the water and curious about a spot.

BT - Did you have to pay for the update, or was it part of the original price? 

I think that I paid $10 about 6-7 years ago, before I had a fish finder with GPS (and my hand held GPS decided to stop working).  Back when I would refuse to pay anything for an app (which I mostly still do).  But in comparison to the cards, it is a bargain.  That said, the chip that was in my handheld ended up working in my HB 859...  So, that saved me a few $, but not in HD, which would be nice, if it is even offered.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/29 00:27:18 (permalink)
    Pork I just signed on to my Navionics account and yes my account expired so I must pay $14.99 for the update if I desire. 

I'm with you when it comes to paying for an APP but I find the Navionics to be worth while.  Heck when I was in Gulf Shores I pulled the APP up on my phone for the local lakes.  The only downfall is using my phone, watching a small screen and keeping the stupid battery charged.

I did see the APP has "Bluetooth" capability so it should connect with sonar units having "Bluetooth" and I'm hoping computers/tablets too.

I too paid $10.00 for my first APP and no further charges unless I want the update.  I did let my account lapse so I don't know if the update would have been cheaper had I stayed active.

Another nice feature with the APP is being able to pull up your favorite lake while sitting in your easy chair (or waiting for one's better half at the hair salon) and plan your next fishing trip.  I find areas I think might be productive (and they usually ain't) mark them and the APP will take me right to them.  Also, I have searched areas on the maps I am familiar with and so far, I have found the maps to be accurate.

Features include uploading information for others to see such as obstacles or, laying a trolling route right into the fish habitat getting me snagged. lol  Seriously though, a guy can find all kinds of info provided by other anglers.  Not so sure I believe all those areas marked on Pymie labeled "walleye" though.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/29 08:19:25 (permalink)
    Coljo, Do you think it is the Humminbird unit being more accurate than the Lowrance or the installed charts? If we could ever coordinate our schedules at the lake I would appreciate a peek at those units and their + and -'s.  I do love the boat. Have been using charger but have not had time to set up the trolling motor.
    Coljo
    New Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/30 21:30:23 (permalink)
    The GPS tracking on my Lowrance was less than expected.  The charts had nothing to do with it.  May try running the figure 8 buoy test again with the newer models on board.  Will have to do it on a lake other than Pymatuning...fishermen racing towards two buoys may be dangerous.
    post edited by Coljo - 2019/06/30 22:21:19
    Coljo
    New Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/06/30 22:10:41 (permalink)
    Navionics has an online chartviewer that you can preview lakes to see if they are suitable.
    https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=_ao%7CFlrhjN
    Many of their lakes are poor on detail, but usually show major features (example attached, same hump in both pics).
    As far a Pymatuning goes, the Navionics map is good.  The Humminbird LakeMaster map has better detail in key areas.
    post edited by Coljo - 2019/07/01 00:08:34

Attached Image(s)

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/07/01 17:20:49 (permalink)
    Coljo,
    I have heard from others also that details on the Lakemaster in Pymatuning was better. They said the old roads and bridges are shown on Lakemaster but not on Navionics. Does Navionics show depth adequately? I fish depths ice fishing and have never had a GPS of any sort. I somewhat old schooled it but drilled lots of holes and checked depth with my Vexlar ( not old school). I also fish the humps in other seasons. Do either one show structure brush and man made cribs?
        I would have already bought the Lakemaster however it covers only some of the waters I fish. Navonics seems to cover most. When I get conflicting +'s and -'s, I have a hard time making a decision. Probably purchasing either of them would vastly help me on any lake they cover, being as I have never experienced a GPS lake program of any kind. Sort of like getting a GPS for for a vehicle, after having one you do not know how we functioned without them.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/07/01 18:33:39 (permalink)
    Guys I'm not sure which version or map you would be viewing using the Navionics. But the Nav maps app I use, be they Pymie, Wilhelm, Arthur, ect. do show contour in great detail, as well as roadbeds, bridges, fish habitat, ect. GPS appears to be spot on including the speed.

The only problem I have is using my phone with such a small screen. The old eyes just aint what they use to be. 😒

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/07/04 07:25:44 (permalink)
    Thank you to all that responded and have given me insight into this comparison.
        I am now trying to resolve why Lakemaster has no listing for a couple lakes I fish in their lake list. A friend has a lakemaster chart that includes both lakes. If you talk to a Rep. you get only answers directly from their site. I finally got a response from someone who seems concerned. They want to know what model # he has. I hope he can provide it. These reps. obviously do not know their product. Let you all know what I come up with. I want to go with Lakemaster do to its better resolution as Coljo pointed out, however if I can not get the coverage on lakes I fish I will go with navonics. Thanks again.
    Coljo
    New Angler
    Re: lakemaster vs navionics charts 2019/07/04 11:26:38 (permalink)
    If your Helix is a G2/3 the Zero Line card may be an option.  I don't have one but will explore that option if I go to an unmapped lake.
    Jump to: