Help Needed: fly lines

Author
Sunset_Slayer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/14 12:23:43 (permalink)

Help Needed: fly lines

So im new to the flying fishing game i think i found the reel i will buy the STH Cr pop 6/7/8 wt.. and now im lookin into lines from what i understand i need to get 20lb backing and then flyline.. thats where im stumped what will be my best all around line for steelhead and maybe some bass action?
all i See is DT INT WF ST  SInking floating ...help wil be appreciated

6 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Help Needed: fly lines 2008/02/14 12:51:01 (permalink)
    For deciding on what weight line to use, depends on the rod.  Most of the time you will want to stick with whatever the rod manufacturer rates the rod at.

20lb or 30lb dacron will both work fine for backing, if your looking to increase the capacity of backing try using the new gel-spun backings, they have a smaller diameter vs strength.

Sinking line is not neccessary for steelheading in PA or NY.  For steelhead a wf(weight forward) or dt(double taper) will work fine.  DT's are well suited for roll casting and indicator fishing, both of which you will use pretty regularly. A wf line is a little more versatille, they are better for actual casting, which will be helpful for bass fishing or if you decide you want to fish dries.

A good all around line is Mastery GPX
    Rio makes some nymph lines that work very well for steelheading

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Help Needed: fly lines 2008/02/14 13:08:37 (permalink)
    WF is the easiest to learn on by its defintion; weight forward.  I like DT.  I do throw INT sometimes for bass.  The disadvantage of the INT I have (rio's intermediate striper line), is that is stretches.  Because of this, there is a tiny delay in the feel of the strike and the hook set.  Many times, that delay is the difference between a hooked fish and a missed opportunity.  Some fishers will say bass hook themselves, if your rod tip is at the surface water, which is generally true (and the most important aspect of missing and hooking them), but I like to dig that hook into bigger fish.  Wading deep with an intermediate line will cut some distance off your casts, for obvious reasons.  Stripping baskets are nice, but sometimes not plausible in every situation.  Another disadvantage of INT is when fishing for fish busting bait on the surface, you can't just pick up 40 feet of line and throw in a different direction like you can with a floating line.  The advantage of my INT, is the clear line.  I don't like longer leaders for bass, 4-5 feet is good, so I think a clear line helps in not spooking fish, mostly in clear slow moving water.  There's an offset here, do you want to get more strikes or land the fish that strikes; less often. 

I don't own a sinking line as i don't have a need for one.

DT or WF will get the job done for your purposes.  I'd suggest WF if you are a beginner.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Help Needed: fly lines 2008/02/14 15:26:34 (permalink)
    wf will most likely be the best for steelhead and bass because bass you will want to cast further out and the wf will get you there easier with less effort. steelhead fishing you don't realy need a wf. line. i like dt. because when one side wears or starts to crack you can turn the line over and not have to buy another line. a full sinking line gets heavy by the end of the day but is good for getting your streamer down fast and keeping them there.
    what the guys said above is just as good as my opinion.
    i learned on a dt. and never had any problem adjusting but that was me i'm sure it's different with each individule. good luck ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Help Needed: fly lines 2008/02/14 15:49:52 (permalink)
    A weight forward line to match your rod is what you want.

Cortland Precision Western Drifter Dyna Tip would be my top choice, next would be Rio Accelerator. Both work excellent for Bass and Steelhead.

If you want a sink tip line, buy a mini sink tip kit and make your own that can be attached to the end of your line. It will save you $30-$65. Or, there are always polyleaders in different sink rates.

Intermediate is just the sink rate of the line, nothing more.

All fly lines stretch to some extent. Some over 20%+. It depends on the coating, core, and what temperature you are in.

Best,
    Michael Foreman
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Help Needed: fly lines 2008/02/14 16:47:12 (permalink)
    Sunset if you go the route of gelspun backing, be cautious w/ it. Its small dia. will cut you to the bone very quickly if your not careful.

There are other backings out there to also consider. Micron: small dia.w/ 20 lb strength. You can down to to 12 lb, be sure the tippet you use is less in strength than the 12.
    Sunset_Slayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Help Needed: fly lines 2008/02/15 10:01:47 (permalink)
    hmmm thanks for your help ill wait for a couple more opinions looks like ill go the WF route but the sound of DT and being able to use both ends sounds nice to me.. lol saves money

Jump to: