Helpful ReplyEgg collection has begun

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2018/10/10 20:58:19 (permalink)

Egg collection has begun

At my house. To hard to post pics now. Did well . 1 male, 1 female and one female ho. The hi was skeined up the king was loose. All bit on single eggs. I thought the hi was a steel but not too dissapointed. Will cure up the eggs tomorrow. Went to my favorite place in deep fast water. All the Yahoo's were pulling hard in the shallow stuff so had close to 100 yards to myself off and on. Bad news is I broke the tip on my pole in a tree and my wading boots gave up the ghost. Bottom fell right off. Wrapped it in line to get me back. I loved the NO lace thing on the korkers but 225 $ Whooooo! They lasted 4 hard years so I got my money worth. Dale at Pineville said he will hook me up so I will probably get them unless someone has a better idea. The pole was my cheapie salmon rod so no biggie. Dale put a new too on its like a12 weight now lol. I refuse to use my good rod for sharks so I may buy an ugly stik and be done with it for sharks LOL

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/10 21:57:24 (permalink)
Sounds like a fun fishing time but a gear of trouble. BTDT.
Seems it will work out.
As for boots. Never owned a convertible sole boot, if that's what yours are. They always scared me.
Cabelas , chotas or Simms guide boots are the only I recall wearing in a
Stocking wader.
Chotas were my least favorite in durability followed by cabelas for comfort and Simms being best but they price pointed me out.
I currently use cabelas and get 4 years

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 12:17:01 (permalink)
Still running the korkers with the BOA system here. 3rd year on the second pair, got 4 or 5 out of the originals. I just love being able to change out the soles from within a few seconds. 

Those new switchback Korkers look very nice... but like you said price is steep on them new ones.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 13:23:48 (permalink)
Somebody say BTDT??? 😉

As for boots, stay away from them cheapy's.. fo sho!!!

Bought a pair of them a few years back and while they was stored in the basement, the darn things shrunk. Couldn't get into em the following season, no way, no how.😯 Stupid boots!! 😈

Keep those good stories comin.

Good times and tight lines. 🍻

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 13:49:41 (permalink)
I finally walked through my Cabella's guide wading boots after about 10 years , maybe 5 years ago, like Cliff says the tops and bottoms gave right out together only the corker ropes held them together back to the car.  Consistent though, both fell apart within 100 yards of each other.  Went to All Seasons, and , being perpetually short of cash, bought a par of Prolines for about 50 bux, transferred my corkers to them, and I'm still wearing them.  But I suspect they are also going to quit this year, so I'm looking.  As to the Corkers, they are like the proverbial Adirondack axe, still using the original, I've only replaced the studs 3 times and the sandal part once (that's for U BTDT!!!) !  
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 14:03:42 (permalink)
I prefer not wearing the Korkers as they make the trip that much ''heavier'' . That's why I liked the boots with the integrated studs. Don't really care about changing the bottoms as I only wear the studs. The BOA system as there are no laces to tie and untie. They also use nice replaceable studs rather then sheet metal screws which wear faster

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 14:33:41 (permalink)
I have the ancient style korkers, they weigh a ton, but that's how I get my exercise.  The studs have to be hammered out and new ones hammered in with a "Special" tool, that is designed to render its user manually challenged for months.  The studs are tungsten and they come out pretty well.  Getting the new ones in is a major feet of endurance, I can usually do a about three a session! As a stringed instrument hacker, I'm thinking of spending the bux and buying the Patagonia's with the bars.  I have replaced the laces on the old korkers with rope, a tip from Fred when he was the Riverkeeper at the DSR when the common man could still afford to fish there!  (Say hello to him when you visit the hatchery, remember to leave your boots in the car!) I'm also watching for a pair of size 13 sneakers at the thrift store where I volunteer, if I find some, I'll try the snowmobile studs that some folks use, the price will beat everything going, I'll just have to screw and glue them into the soles of the sneaks.  Never going to have that chic and trendy Simms look, but …..
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 17:24:20 (permalink)
Lucky13
I have the ancient style korkers, they weigh a ton, but that's how I get my exercise.  The studs have to be hammered out and new ones hammered in with a "Special" tool, that is designed to render its user manually challenged for months.  The studs are tungsten and they come out pretty well.  Getting the new ones in is a major feet of endurance, I can usually do a about three a session! As a stringed instrument hacker, I'm thinking of spending the bux and buying the Patagonia's with the bars.  I have replaced the laces on the old korkers with rope, a tip from Fred when he was the Riverkeeper at the DSR when the common man could still afford to fish there!  (Say hello to him when you visit the hatchery, remember to leave your boots in the car!) I'm also watching for a pair of size 13 sneakers at the thrift store where I volunteer, if I find some, I'll try the snowmobile studs that some folks use, the price will beat everything going, I'll just have to screw and glue them into the soles of the sneaks.  Never going to have that chic and trendy Simms look, but …..

Bad idea on the sneakers. BTDT. Terrible ankle support. I sported a pair high top converse in Dsr with lace on korker cleats. Norman was impressed at my style.
Fred also conveyed the paracord lacing.
Fishing with those guys and another named chrome bring a back good memories. Today they are memories of things that were.
There's a reason folks like them and Connie moved on. In some ways the mentality of fishing the tribs changed but in 35 odd years it seems a zoo will always be a zoo and you move on.
Memory lane over..

Boots :
L-13, you lost me a few times.
Are we talking studded or felt wading boots , boots with convertible soles or seprate attachable cleats to a boot ?
Original korker attachable to a boot cleats were the azz back in the day. Now with the advancement of an actual boot, they blow unless you have a crappy pair of cheap felt sole wading boots to attach them to.
Price point: why pay $50.00 for cheap boots that may last 2-3 years ,then another $89.00 for attachment korkers cleats ?
Me personally, I'll pay up front for something decent in the hundred range for a 3-5 year life span that comfortable.
If I get spendy, I'd kick down the extra fity for the Simms vibram sole and the cabelas felts in the Dacks . Honestly up there , a wading staff is more important

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 19:00:50 (permalink)
It is funny that you mentioned them failing apart either 100 yards L13 because this pair one boot broke where the sole connects and I Jerry rigged it with goop and screws to get me by. Next trip the other biit literally falls apart. 5 or 6 years aunt bad I guess. I will shop around a little, but will probably drop the coin on the Iron side BOA boots. On a side note don't do concrete work with your wedding band on . I got some caught under the ring and could not get it off. A trip to the ER and a badly bruised finger followed. I cannot believe he got it off. The morter mix was sand paper under tbere. It tore me up good

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 19:00:51 (permalink)
It is funny that you mentioned them failing apart either 100 yards L13 because this pair one boot broke where the sole connects and I Jerry rigged it with goop and screws to get me by. Next trip the other biit literally falls apart. 5 or 6 years aunt bad I guess. I will shop around a little, but will probably drop the coin on the Iron side BOA boots. On a side note don't do concrete work with your wedding band on . I got some caught under the ring and could not get it off. A trip to the ER and a badly bruised finger followed. I cannot believe he got it off. The morter mix was sand paper under tbere. It tore me up good

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 19:03:54 (permalink)
L13 that's what my waders are, Proline and they're still going strong after five years. Course they still got the tags on em.

Guess I shoulda bought the pre-shrunk model huh?

Oh as for them stud thingy's, would them one size fits all ice cleats work? In case my boots stretch again, I mean?

Tight lines. 🍻
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/11 19:06:29

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 19:16:59 (permalink)
Clint S

Been married 34 years, I learned my ring lesson on year 1 working in a sawmill.
Haven't worn it since. Now a days, my job doesn't allow them on site

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 19:49:56 (permalink)
Man did I ever learn my lesson wearing a wedding ring.

What's mine is hers and what's her's is hers. 😧

Cept them clothes of hers what shrunk but lordy lordy, I ain't even saying a word bout that.😱

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 19:59:34 (permalink)
💑

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/11 22:55:13 (permalink)
I think the screw in snow machine studs would be too long. For screw in I have had the best luck with small sheet metal screws and welding a little blob on the head and trying to end it in a point. I have a pair I wear in the barn that were  cut off from retired boot foot waders. Going on 10 plus years , they don't get a ton of miles anymore, but the heads are still decent traction

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 07:34:50 (permalink)
I've found that aluminum screws wear quick, but still bite even when rounded. Better than steel on dry rock, too.  I have several pairs of wading boots kicking around. Korkers almost killed me. I waded far out on a spring  minus tide (drops more than normal) and shed a sole . It was hell getting back in over slippery, weed covered rocks and I almost didn't beat the return of the tide.  I know of people that had a party and chucked them into a bonfire. New models are better, but still sketchy. If you don't cross rivers or go too far, I guess they're OK.  I'm on my fourth year of Patagonia Riverwalkers. They have aluminum bars that grip really well on the SR. I replaced the bars once. Not this year, but I usually put a lot of miles on, sometimes 7-8 in a day.  I've gone through lots of boots, the cheap ones never even made 1 year.  I'll stick with the Patagucci for now, with a set of old Simms for wet wading.  I check Sierra Trading Post for sales when I think I may be needing a pair soon. I used Korker sandals many years ago on the jetties in Rhode Island, but prefer to be a little careful and less Frankenstein-like.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 08:41:20 (permalink)
I had like three left foot sandals until I started screwing the korkers to the heels of the wading boots, there was nothing more disconcerting then that sucking feeling as you crossed a muddy spot , and the immediate realization that you were going to spend the next ten minutes with one arm in cold water up to the armpit trying to retrieve the lost korker, often unsuccessfully.  But when I bought them they were all that was out there.  Eventually I ( or others I was fishing with) found a couple of right ones that others lost, so the lefties had matches.  I've been looking at the new ones, and at 100 bux, I'm thinking like HT, why not just buy a good pair of boots with the cleats built in, although the changeable sole does allow for felts up north, where they definitely work better than cleats.  Forgot about the ankle issues, HT, that is very important with my history of sprains, and at my age I don't go anywhere in waders without a staff anymore.  Glad to hear the Patagonias hold up, Fichy, but I still have to convince myself to spend 400 bux for a pair of boots, and find a retailer, as even FishUSA seems to have dropped them.   And the scotch blood in me still wants to get the rest of the use out of the old korkers I still have.
post edited by Lucky13 - 2018/10/12 08:43:11
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 09:03:55 (permalink)
Lucky, I got them for 120 from STP, I doubt I'll ever be that ...well, your name, again.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 09:32:54 (permalink)
We have a collection of right korkers at camp, we seem to find a couple each year....all rights

wishin i was fishin
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 10:06:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bigbear2012 2018/10/12 10:20:51
I can look around and see if I have any lefts left, but Murphy says my lefts will be 9's and your rights will be 13's!
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 10:07:13 (permalink)
fichy
Lucky, I got them for 120 from STP, I doubt I'll ever be that ...well, your name, again.

120 for the boots with the bars?  Just the bar sandals were 200 when I last saw them advertised.  I'll have to be checking this STP site, thx for the tip!
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 10:55:14 (permalink)
Cheapest I found the Patagonia was $279 not even at STP. A trip to Pineville sport today I think as their price is in line with the net

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 12:20:56 (permalink)
STP is only good if you buy when you see a deal, not usually when you want something specific.  If I ever see another pair under 200, I'm grabbing them. I just missed a very slightly used pair for  150 on a California forum. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 17:25:22 (permalink)
I have used STP before and yup gotta visit often in their clearance.
I have found the Azon to be pretty helpful as well.
As always, I find fishusa a great online resource of fishing products and great service too

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/10/12 18:52:22 (permalink)
I got the Dark horse Korkers. I said for a while I was going to get a size bigger this time.  After trying them on 5 times I opted for the same size as last time. They are a little snug with woolsocks, neoprene and regular socks (I wear these three pair in the winter) but I could still wiggle my toes. The size bigger felt real good with the winter set up but I absolutely swam in them with one pair of summer, fall socks. I can also reuse my old bottoms with the smaller pair so now I have spares and I did find they stretch a little with time. With pair of felt bottoms I am going to put sheet metal screws with weld on top with one pair. I lost a stud bottom and am running one stud bottom and 1 felt with screws and the felt with screws were not bad.

skunkboy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Egg collection has begun 2018/11/15 06:34:02 (permalink)
I've had a pair of Chota Steelhead Bootfoots for 10 years that have only required miminal re-sealing along the inseam. And I have beat the **** out of them. I just wont buy stocking foots anymore. 
post edited by skunkboy - 2018/11/15 06:35:12
Jump to: