wild steelheads

Author
steelie starter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/15 20:22:29 (permalink)

wild steelheads

Has anyone caught a wild,native steelhead??? Most of the fish are hatchery stock,but some natural spawning must take place.....frank

27 Replies Related Threads

plugchugger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/16 15:57:46 (permalink)
    The only trout native to NY is the brook trout. So the awnser is NO! noone has ever caught a native anything trout other than maby a brookie.

good question though. 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/16 16:24:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: plugchugger

The only trout native to NY is the brook trout. So the awnser is NO! noone has ever caught a native anything trout other than maby a brookie.

good question though. 

Actually The Brook Trout is not a Trout. They are Char left stranded here in our lakes and streams via the last ice age.

Lyrical
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/16 19:53:38 (permalink)
    Great Observations on taxonomy, Batman MoTa!!

We should also point out that the other true trout, and also a native one to NYS, other than Salmo Trutta, which actually isn't native either,( but you know that, I am digressing!) is Salmo Salar, more commonly spoken of, in reverent tones, as the Atlantic Salmon!  And the Atlantic Salmon was common in Lake Ontario and many of its tributaries up until about 1840, and gone by 1870 or so. Recent attempts at restoration appear to be hampered by dietary-reproductive interactions that originate with the alewives.

Finally, lets remember that steelhead are no longer classified as trout by the Biologists, so they would never be natural trout.  But I have seen "perfect" fish, no scars from fin wear, shiny as a brand new dime, all **** and vinegar, and these might be "wild" fish.  Our friends north of the lake certainly speak of significant natural reproduction going on, and the number of redds encountered on any late spring sojourn to a productive steelhead stream in NY testifies to the probablity that once in a while you get one that was born there!

L13
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/16 23:30:50 (permalink)
    Right on Lucky. The Steel and Rainbows are more related to Salmonoids. Salar and Trutta are closely related too.
    I would say there are many reproducing in other tribs., and possibly the SR. After all the Kings do so to some extent.
    Would be a good one for King Davey to answer either here, or at the Losa event on the 28th.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/04/23 06:48:18

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/17 01:03:51 (permalink)
    Since Steelhead fry need a year or so in the stream before they migrate to the lake natural reproduction was next to zero on the SR in the past,now that there is a minumum flow thru the summer there is a increased chance that it could happen.However,without the hatchery there would n't be much to fish for.
    plugchugger
    New Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/17 15:21:42 (permalink)
    Lucky 13, Where did you hear that steelhead and rainbows are classified differantly? Im not saying your wrong I just think you need to support your statement. I have not heard of any classification change and niether has Wikipedia.

The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), aka redband trout, is a species of salmonid native to tributaries of the Pacific Ocean in Asia and North America as well as much of the central, western, eastern, and especially the northern portions of the United States. The ocean going (anadromous) form (including those returning for spawning) are known as steelhead, or ocean trout (Australia). The species has been introduced for food or sport to at least 45 countries, and every continent except Antarctica. In some of these locations, such as Australia, they have had very serious negative impacts on upland native fish species.
    The species was originally named by Johann Julius Walbaum in 1792. In 1855, W. P. Gibbons found a population and named it Salmo iridia, however this name became deprecated once it was determined that this was a population of the already named species.

Above statment was copied from wikipeda
    post edited by plugchugger - 2007/04/17 15:22:59
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/17 17:38:20 (permalink)
    Plug your Wikipedia (hee hee hee a reference book that anyone can change) post says it all they are now listed as related to Pacific salmon not Atlantic as they were for a hundred years or so. Oncorhynchus Mykiss not Salmo Gardenary (sp) any longer. Not Salmo not trout.
    plugchugger
    New Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/17 19:49:19 (permalink)
    Wa"DER"boy,
      I am not debating the point of weather they are trout or not just the fact that L13 stated that steelhead and rainbow differ in classifacation scientifically. If its true Id like to see proof other than a random post from some dude that I don't know.
    Here is a list of links that classify rainbows and steelhead the same. I hope that DNR and other biolology related sites qualify as proof more so than wikipidia....

MINNESOTA DNR......

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish/trout/biology.html
    Rainbow Trout:
    The rainbow trout, stocked in Minnesota a century ago, has become particularly important in Lake Superior and North Shore streams. Fish living in the lake and moving into streams to spawn are known as "steelheads." They ascend tributaries in the fall and spring, spawn in the spring, and swim downstream to the lake. Young trout remain in the streams for up to three years and then enter the big waters of Lake Superior, where they feed on terrestrial insects, various other invertebrates, and small fish.

Considered neither as wary as the brown or as gullible as a brook trout, the rainbow is prized as a game fish because it fights hard, frequently leaping when hooked.
    Rainbows stocked in small lakes may exceed 10 pounds; stream fish rarely grow larger than three. The rainbow has dark spots on a light background. Its back is olive and its side carries a pink stripe. The tail is covered with small black spots. The body of a lake-run fish is silvery.

ALASKA DSR.....

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/fish/rainbow.php

Rainbow Trout

The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), is one of the most respected and sought after of Alaska’s native game fishes. Serious anglers from the world over are drawn to Alaska to experience the thrill of challenging this hard fighting salmonid in the state’s wilderness waters.
    Rainbow trout occur as both freshwater resident and sea-run races. Sea-going rainbows, known as steelhead trout, are discussed in a separate Wildlife Notebook Series account.
    Rainbow trout are native to waters throughout Southeast Alaska west to Kuskokwim Bay, and as far up the Kuskokwim River as Sleetmute. The clearwater lakes and streams draining into Bristol Bay provide outstanding habitat. Rainbow trout occur naturally on the Kenai Peninsula, throughout the fresh waters of Upper Cook Inlet, on Kodiak Island, and in the Copper River drainage. Release of hatchery-reared Alaska rainbow trout has extended the range of resident rainbows to specific lakes and streams in the Tanana River drainage near Fairbanks.

OHIO DNR....
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/aquanotes-fishid/rtrout.htm

Life History Notes:
    RAINBOW TROUT

COMMON NAMES: Rainbow trout, Steelhead, Kamloops
    SCIENTIFIC NAME: Oncorhynchus mykiss
    IDENTIFICATION: Rainbow trout have the typical trout-shape with an adipose fin, and a squarish tail that has black spots throughout. The rainbow trout has 10-12 anal rays and a white mouth and gums (coho and Chinook salmon, occasionally found in Lake Erie, have gray or black gums, more anal rays, and forked tails). Lake Erie steelhead are generally bright silver with a bright pink band. Males develop a hooked jaw known as a "kype" during the spawning season.

HERES ONE FROM SCOTLAND....
    http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/FRS.Web/Delivery/display_standalone.aspx?contentid=620
    Description 
    Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is a Pacific salmonid species that was first brought to Britain in 1884. Fast-growing and tolerant of crowding in captivity, they are now widely used around the world for fish farming and restocking of angling fisheries. Rainbow trout have a prominently spotted tail and often a wide band of red, pink or mauve along the flanks.

Life History
    The original source populations in North America were a mixture of stream-living, lake-dwelling and sea-going forms (steelhead), and most spawned in late winter. Freshwater forms feed on invertebrates and fish.

Do I need more proof? I could go on and on and on and on and on and on.......

I hear that largemouth and smallmouth bass are..........Ah never mind.
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/17 19:58:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steelie starter

Has anyone caught a wild,native steelhead??? Most of the fish are hatchery stock,but some natural spawning must take place.....frank

Frank -

To answer your question is a tricky one.Considering the stocking that does take place.Steelhead that are stocked by the hatchery have some sort of fin clip to help determine strain ( chambers creek ) winter steelhead or skamania summer steelhead.Some do have different clips from years past to determine year class.All New York stocked steelhead should have the left fins clipped either left pec or left vent.Or adipose and left pec or adipose left vent or just adipose.Any surplus steelhead that are stocked WILL NOT have a fin clip.So its tough to determine if you've caught a wild steelhead if it does have all its fins clipped.But it's it great to think you've caught a wild steelhead when it has all perfect fins !!

Any steelhead with a left vent clip or adipose and left vent clip or just an adipose clip is a Chamber Creek ( winter ) steelhead.Steelhead with a left pec clip or adipose and left pec clip is a Skamania ( summer ) steelhead.

Hope that helps answer your question .
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/18 03:55:12 (permalink)
    Plug I don't see where he says steelhead are different from what is commonly called the rainbow trout. As I read it he is saying that steelhead are know longer classified as trout. Please quote the part in which he states they are different species if I am wrong on this. Since they are at a dna level the same and rainbow trout are now considered a pacific salmon not a trout that means steelhead are also pacific salmon not trout. Just because it has the name rainbow TROUT doesn't mean it is a trout anymore.
    The Wa"der"boy was a nice touch. Until you post a quote in which 13 states rainbows and steelhead are two different species I am afraid you have failed the DUH test.
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/19 10:05:20 (permalink)
    Just to clear things up, salmon and trout are all in the same taxonomic family.  Rainbows are still salmonids like chinooks, lake trout and atlantic salmon.  The split is in the genus.

Family:  Salmonidae
    Genus:  Onchorynchus spp. (rainbows, pacific salmon for example)
    Genus:  Salmo spp. (brown trout, atlantic salmon for example)
    Genus:  Salvelinus  spp. (lake trout, brook trout for example)

If hairs are going to get split they might as well be the correct hairs.
    post edited by chrome - 2007/04/19 10:06:24
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/19 10:09:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beedhed

ORIGINAL: steelie starter

Frank -

To answer your question is a tricky one.Considering the stocking that does take place.Steelhead that are stocked by the hatchery have some sort of fin clip to help determine strain ( chambers creek ) winter steelhead or skamania summer steelhead.Some do have different clips from years past to determine year class.All New York stocked steelhead should have the left fins clipped either left pec or left vent.Or adipose and left pec or adipose left vent or just adipose.Any surplus steelhead that are stocked WILL NOT have a fin clip.So its tough to determine if you've caught a wild steelhead if it does have all its fins clipped.But it's it great to think you've caught a wild steelhead when it has all perfect fins !!

Any steelhead with a left vent clip or adipose and left vent clip or just an adipose clip is a Chamber Creek ( winter ) steelhead.Steelhead with a left pec clip or adipose and left pec clip is a Skamania ( summer ) steelhead.

Hope that helps answer your question .

Beedhed:

The only rainbows that get fin clips are fish that are stocked in the Salmon River (or special study fish)-including Skamania strain.  That leaves roughly 520 thousands unclipped rainbows introduced annually to the population.

Most of the fish I netted/caught this year were clip-less.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/19 16:18:29 (permalink)
    Plug did you read your post before you wrote it. The definition you posted from Scotland is a beautiful thing. It says in it that rainbows are a pacific salmonid. Rainbows used to be listed as a true trout but that has changed and your own post shows it.
    PS I still haven't seen you quote where 13 claimed rainbows and steelhead are different species.
    post edited by waDerboy - 2007/04/19 16:20:41
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/19 16:34:47 (permalink)
    waderboy,

Your use of "true trout" is confusing me.  I cannot say a rainbow or cutthroat trout  (Onchoryncus spp.)is a salmon any more than I can say an Atlantic salmon (Salmo spp.) is a trout.  I guess I'm wondering how you make the distinction. 
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 06:21:50 (permalink)
    Chrome I guess for me saying salvelinus, oncrhychus,and salmo are all trout is like saying monkeys and humans are the same. While they all may, or may not, share a common ancestor DNA says they are not one and the same. Since brown trout, salmo, were the first to bear the common name trout I think that gives them the right to the title of "true trout". If you want to broaden the groupings out tyhat is your perogative. I guess every living thing is the same since they all come from either that first living cell in the ocean or Adam and his rib. Believing we are all the same because we are all just carbon based life forms is a little to broad for me.
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 07:49:58 (permalink)
    So you are saying that Atlantic Salmon are trout?  I'm not arguing--you can call them sunnies if you'd like--just trying to understand what you mean by true trout?  I bet our neighbors to the west would have trouble calling the Snake River Fine Spotted Cutthroat a Pacific Salmon.  
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 08:09:06 (permalink)
    What I am saying is that trout is a common name not a scientific one and that the brown trout was the fish first called that. Since brown trout are listed as salmo and there is scientific distinction (dna) between oncorhychus and salmo and because rainbow (steelhead) are listed as oncorhychus brown trout by dint of being called trout first are the true trout. Yes atlantic salmon and brown trout are very closely related to a point of being able to interbreed and have successfully breeding offspring much as cutthroat-rainbows do. Haven't read any evidence of the same with rainbows and browns. Have you? If so I would love to see it.
    As to the fine spotted cutthroat you mentioned I do not have an answer. Is it listed as orcorhychus or salmo. Speckled sea trout (weak fish) have a very trouty appreance but they are different altogether also.
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 08:24:20 (permalink)
    You sort of made my point.

If you sepak using common names then you need to be tolerant of connotation.  We all know what we mean by "trout" and "salmon."  If you feel compelled to get specific then stick with scientific terminology--using both in the same sentence will only lead to frustration. 

Thus is why taxonomy was developed in the first place?

BTW:  Cutts, gila, goldens and I'm sure others are in the genus Onchorynchus.  Also--brookies and browns can be cross bred.  Besides--who's to say that at some point rainbows will to be given back to the Salmos?  Taxonomy is ever-changing.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 08:45:08 (permalink)
    Chinook-coho also cross breed. I didn't mention them because I am not sure if the offspring are sterile or not. The brook- brown cross is I believe sterile. No? While checking some sites out in for this discussion I read that atlantics and browns can have reproductive offspring making them very closely related.
    As to common name usage, I have heard things dropped in bathrooms referred to as toilet trout.
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 09:30:48 (permalink)
    Yeah--Tigers are sterile.  But rainbows and  pacific salmon don't cross breed (that I know of)......

I bet at some point the western US "trout" get their own genus.
    post edited by chrome - 2007/04/20 09:36:28

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 10:51:52 (permalink)
    Don't know about that but I would like to be clear that I don't think rainbows are less or more of a fish than browns. Saying they are not "true trout" is not meant as a put down, only an explaination that science decided a few years ago that rainbows were closely related to pacific salmon.
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 11:36:58 (permalink)
    To that I can agree!

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/20 19:01:33 (permalink)
    I for one don't consider a Brook a Trout, but a Char. That is what they are. That was my point.
    As for the others, well maybe there are no Trout except the Brown.
    Who knew?
    They are all Wonderful Fish in my Book!

Lyrical
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/22 18:28:02 (permalink)
    WoW! 

I haven't had time to read all of it!  But, I never said, as Spoonchucker alluded, that Rainbow Trout and Steelhead were classed as different species.  What I said was they are classed as the same fish, but they are classed as Pacific Salmon now (rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), ) and they used to be classified as trout (Salmo Gardineri (sp?)).

WOW!

L13
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/22 18:43:28 (permalink)
    Salmo,

A brook trout is only really a char if you forget to watch the skillet!

L13
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/23 05:10:36 (permalink)
    13 you freakin trouble maker! Start a big dust up and then disapear for a week.
    Sic um Chrome!
     PS- just a touch of 13 sauce mixed in slaw is a treat for the tongue.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wild steelheads 2007/04/23 06:45:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lucky13

Salmo,

A brook trout is only really a char if you forget to watch the skillet!

L13

LOL

Lyrical
    Jump to: