Helpful ReplyGiving my son a chance

Author
Super MUPERE
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2017/12/04 10:52:53 (permalink)

Giving my son a chance

I will be bringing my son up to Erie Co this weekend.  Of course the weather is crashing, but our windows of opportunity are defined by the calendar rather than the weather.  We're driving up from just north of Cincinnati on Friday night.  I've fished in the slush before, but I don't want to turn him off to the species before he gets a chance to connect.  I don't know the best approach to take.  Should I focus on getting out of the weather by targeting sheltered areas or fly in the face of the cold and target faster moving current like the creek mouths?  Any other advice?

Spencer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 11:55:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BeenThereDoneThat. 2017/12/04 17:50:35
How old is your son?  How well does he tolerate cold?  

Saturday's got a forecasted high of 28 dropping to 14 overnight into Sunday morning.  I'd take my 14 year old son, but not my 7 year old son.  Although as temps get much below 30, I don't really have much desire to make the 2 hour drive to fish in Erie anymore like I did 10 years ago.  I'm getting soft in my old age, but I'm sure my son wouldn't mind at all.  With that forecast and with it being the last day of firearms deer season in PA, I would imagine angling pressure will be pretty low.  

You'll probably be dealing with some significant slush through early afternoon on Sunday.  Slower moving pools might even have a skim coat of ice on em.  All the rocks and shale along the creeks that were wet on Friday and Saturday will be super slippery, so use caution there, especially with a kid.  

Fish are well upstream on most creeks now, so no need to really fly in the face of the wind at a creek mouth with the N/NW/NE winds that will probably accompany this weather.  

indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6344
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 12:00:55 (permalink)
OK, This raises questions.  How old is your son?  And is he the outdoors type.  My grandson fished with me from age 8, in all kinds of weather, and even in the slush.  But he loved the outdoors.  He had a friend who couldn't stand the cold if the air was below 45, and hated being in cold water, even wearing neoprene.
      All that being said; usually it is better for a 1st timer to keep to more sheltered areas  Try to fish moving water over deeper drop offs, and breaks.  This helps move slush.  And don't be afraid to go back to the truck to get warm. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 12:21:31 (permalink)
Yeah I would NOT take my kid to the creekmouths right now-as r2 said they are spread out so go to a creek gorge area.  Any time with a kid fishing is great, so don't worry so much about trying to get everything just right.  I get you want him to like it, so make sure he's dressed well, layered, hand warmers and even those toe warmers you stick to bottom of socks, and as Indy said, don't be afraid to go back to truck sometimes.  Also no need to be on the creeks at dawn...fish will get more active as temps move up so starting at 10am instead of 7am may work better.  Have some thermos of hot chocolate and eat some fun food/sweets that he likes-all those things help create a good impression.  Of course the best impression is catching feesh!  But time spent together is priceless.  Don't stress about it.   

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9659
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 12:39:57 (permalink)
Good call on moving inland a bit.  The wind off of the lake wouldn't be something that I'd want to fish in...

A lot of good discussions on keeping warm in the winter on here.  Layers, angora socks, boot foot waders to lessen compression compared to sock foot, wool gloves, hand warmers, ect.  Definitely want an outer shell that will break that wind.

I'm with these guys, if he isn't gung ho about fishing, you may end up turning him off.  The steelhead are around after the thaw too.  Many meet their fate when the ice melts and crushes them, but many are around in more comfortable weather.  Completely understand the calendar thing.  I've fished in much worse conditions, since that is all the calendar allowed.  Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Forgot to mention, always great to take youngsters to Trout Run to watch the fish stacked up and jumping the falls.  Some of my best memories going with my Dad, was just watching the fish.  Of course, after 10 minutes, I was ready to catch one...  Not sure if you want to dare the lake front winds for that though.  Sunday looks down right brutal with 30mph gusts.  You guys would likely have no company fishing the mouth of Trout Run on Sunday...  Your casts might go backwards though.  
post edited by Porktown - 2017/12/04 13:25:29
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 12:55:28 (permalink)
took my 15 yr old daughter up for her first time yesterday  although she didnt land one she had a good time   now she knows what i mean when i say YOU need to dress warm  WHEN fishing inside tunnels....

I have become comfortably numb
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 13:38:18 (permalink)
Well whaddya know, Saturday's forecasted high has now gone from 28 to 34, and only down to 24 overnight.  

If that holds, and that's a big if, I'd say you'll probably not have much to worry about in terms of slush and ice.  Keeping your son comfortable will be you biggest concern and you've received a lot of great advice about that.  

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 13:44:43 (permalink)
Big help is hot hands. Both the regular kind and the toe warmers. Not to mention the adhesive body warmers. My wife uses them during archery season religiously
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 14:21:28 (permalink)
Why not fish the Ohio tribs?
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 15:16:29 (permalink)
"You guys would likely have no company fishing the mouth of Trout Run on Sunday...  Your casts might go backwards though."

Lol.  Weather conditions will change eleventy more times before Friday, GUARANTEED!  Good call on taking him to trout run to see the feesh, it is fun.  Even more fun with hot coco in hand....or as part of a trip which also includes some hot soup at avonia tavern right afterwards....as you can see I am highly motivated by food and beverage! 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Super MUPERE
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Giving my son a chance 2017/12/04 16:35:46 (permalink)
Thanks all.  My son is almost 15.  Once he has wheels, I suspect adventures with Dad will fall off his calendar.
We fished Ohio last year.  It poured rain after about an hour fishing.  I haven't been back to PA in years, but it's where I cut my teeth.  I think PA has the best odds of getting him a fish.  Plus, you have places that will smoke it if we do get one. 

It only took one on with the reel screaming to hook me, so I can only hope the same is true from him.

Spencer
Jump to: