Helpful ReplyShenango in trouble... good and bad

Author
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/15 14:04:00 (permalink)

Shenango in trouble... good and bad

Is trouble brewing at Shenango River Lake?
Posted on: September 14, 2017 | Bob Frye | 0 Comments

The story of the fishery at Shenango River Lake is a good one, especially as relates to bass.

But ya might wanna get ‘em while you can.

Trouble’s brewing at the U.S. Army Corps impoundment.

Biologists from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission surveyed the Mercer County Lake earlier this summer, assessing its bass population. There was good news, different news and bad news.

The good news relates to bass. Things look pretty good where they’re concerned.

Crews electroshocked three areas. The total number of bass collected was 57.8 per hour, which is slightly above the long-term average, said Freeman Johns, a biologist in the commission’s area 1 office in Linesville.

“For a large reservoir, that’s a good number,” added Tim Wilson, another biologist there.

The catch rates per hour of fish exceeding 12 and 15 inches is also good, he added.

The fish seen included largemouths and an almost equal number of smallmouths. But the largemouths are typically larger.

Biologists handled one 20-inch largemouth, along with lots of fish between 13 and 18.

Shenango River Lake’s smallmouth population, by comparison, is dominated by fish that go 6 to 11 inches.

“We saw a few bigger smallmouths,” Wilson said, pointing to one that stretched nearly 18 inches. “But most of the trophy bass in Shenango are largemouths.”

As for the different news – neither good nor bad, necessarily – it’s about catfish.

Shenango has long had a nice population of channel catfish. That remains true, Wilson said.

It’s now also home to a growing population of flatheads.

“We got a few when we surveyed there in 2014. We got quite a few of them this year,” Wilson said. “And we saw some big ones. Giant, whopper flatheads.”

They’re an apex predator, Johns noted. But whether their presence will impact the channel cats or the lake’s panfish remains to be seen.

What is perhaps likely – and here’s where the bad news comes in – is that another fish that turned up in this year’s survey will spell problems.

Namely, alewives.

Alewife or alewives are now common in Shenango River Lake.
Alewives are a type of herring.

Alewives, sometimes called alewife, are a kind of herring. Originally a species that lived in salt water and migrated into tributaries along the East Coast to spawn, they’ve since spread into any number of freshwater lake and river systems.

Shenango is the latest water to get them.

“We’ve had them in Pymatuning Lake for quite a while. It seems like they finally made their way down the (Shenango) river and now there appears to be an established population at Shenango Lake,” Wilson said.

“I have no idea what that’s going to mean.”

There’s cause for concern, though.

For starters, once alewives get into a waterway, it’s impossible to get rid of them, Wilson said.

They can upset ecosystems, too. They often outcompete native panfish, leading to stunted populations of crappies and bluegills. That’s happened at Pymatuning and Lake Wilhelm, Wilson noted, and could prove troubling for Shenango’s popular crappie fishery.

Predatory fish can be impacted, too, though in a different way.

In the early 1990s at Pymatuning, for example, the walleyes caught averaged just 14 to 16 inches, Wilson said. But anglers got lots of them.

These days, there are still plenty of walleyes in the lake – the commission’s trap net catch this spring was its second highest ever – and they’re bigger, averaging 19 inches. But they’re also much harder to catch.

The lake’s gigantic population of alewives is the reason.

“The walleye population is actually showing signs of under-exploitation,” Wilson said. “But when they’re able to eat to their hearts content, they’re just not interested in a nightcrawler or a minnow.”

Lake Wilhelm’s bass were for a while hard to catch for the same reason.

Whether the bass fishing at Shenango River Lake is likewise headed for an era of plentiful and big but hard-to-catch fish isn’t certain.

A lot will depend on whether the alewife population explodes or merely survives at some low level, Wilson said. And there’s no telling which scenario might come true.

“There’s really no way to predict what might happen,” Wilson said. “We’ll just have to wait and see.”

Largemouth population strong at Lake Arthur
If you like catching good-sized largemouth bass, there’s another lake that it would be wise to target right now: Lake Arthur.

The 3,225-acre water that serves as the centerpiece of Moraine State Park in Butler County is home to a good number of quality bass.

Fish and Boat Commission biologists surveyed the lake earlier this summer. Final results of their work just became available.

They electroshocked three spots around the lake – by Nealy Point, the Route 582 bridge and by the dam — in an attempt to get a random sampling of fish.

They caught 301 bass, or 55.8 per hour, which is right about the long-term average, said biologist Tim Wilson.

“But where we saw a pretty big jump was in fish over 15 inches,” he said.

Crews handled 8.3 such fish per hour, “which is the highest it’s been in a while,” Wilson added.

Overall, fish 15 inches and bigger represented 15 percent of the total catch, Johns said.

The largest bass stretched a little more than 21.9 inches. Several others went 20.5.

“We did see some really nice bass at Lake Arthur. There were some really big fish, so that was a good thing,” said biologist Freeman Johns. “We just couldn’t break that 22-inch mark.”

Almost all of the bass – 296 of the 301 — were largemouths. The others were smallmouth bass. They were all small by comparison, too.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/15 16:25:24 (permalink)
Alewife in Shenango 😱

The Walleye in Pymatuning feed only on Alewife 😱 But the Walleye population is very healthy.

The plot thickens........

Stupid Alewife.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/16 09:02:20 (permalink)
great info and article,,,, yes alewifes are kinda a double edged sword

I have become comfortably numb
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/16 10:20:59 (permalink)
Hear we go again same story different lake......seems this is the same report they said about Pymy.....too much bait fish equals no Walleye to be caught. At Pymy they said it was the Shad baitfish explosion this spring. All I can say when there is a bait fish die off in the future there should be some huge Walleye being caught in Pymy and Shenango if this is true ! 

I know one thing Stripers sure love Alewives and Shad, so they will be gorging on Shenango. 

Too bad there isn't a natural Walleye explosion in these lakes !  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/16 10:50:54 (permalink)
Makes one think maybe the PennStateFishComm is hearing from some disgruntled anglers regarding the fishing at Pymie.

I remember the "baitfish" excuses for the sudden downturn of conditions at Wilhelm. However, the past few years the fishing has been on the upswing at the lake.

Mystery is, the baitfish still exist.

Only difference being, the biologist have all migrated to the SOS project. 😜

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/16 12:14:32 (permalink)
Speaking of Wilhelm we saw some kind of shad with almost a gold tail the last trip up. I'm just glad we havnt seen the 20 ft clouds of baitfish there this year like the past few.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/16 13:34:04 (permalink)
So I wonder if those huge clouds of bait fish that you'll see in Shenango suspended in 12 to 15 feet of water over a 24 foot bottom are all alewives or shad. All 3 times I've been there, there were bait balls everywhere over the channel, with some fairly good hooks below them just up off the bottom, but we couldn't buy a hit. I'm wonderin' if I should get #3 son to cast me up some rubber paddle tailed alewives in 4, 5, and 6" and see if I could score a walleye.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/18 08:33:22 (permalink)
The interesting thing in that report is the flathead part.  I'd love to do some flathead fishing but I'm not into the whole river scene.  Might have to soak some bluegills up there one of these days.  

Arthur is crawling with alewives and has been for years.  Seems to me so has Shenango... I remember marking dense clouds of fish everywhere in that lake all the time.  Far too many marks for fish.  Maybe they were all shad at that time though.  I know it was shad that ruined Wilhelm and not alewives though.  More food, more fish!  Up the stocking of walleye and 'bryds and let the good times ensue!  
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/19 21:13:34 (permalink)
Shenango has been loaded with tons of Shad baitfish for years. Even with the huge appetite the Stripers have the Shad still thrive with heavy populations. Alewives are sort of new here can't say I've seen surface schools yet. It will be interesting as to what happens in the future.

As far as huge Flatheads they are in Shenango Lake , can't say I've caught any in the lake but I have seen photos of ones caught. 30-40 lbers seem to be around to those who know how to fish them. Would not surprise me if some 50 lbs plus Flatheads are cruising the Shenango depths.

Good luck Shenango is a tough lake to fish with baitfish explosions and no limit HP watercrafts. Early Spring and now ( Fall ) are your best bet.
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/20 10:56:02 (permalink)
So if the problem is an overabundance of bait fish causing the low catch rates on Pymy, wouldn't the fish population eventually grow to the point of decimating the bait fish.  Thus producing a banner year once the bait fish start to decline.  Seems like we should know in a few years if this is the case or not.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/21 09:14:17 (permalink)
I haven't seen a baitfish decline on Shenango in 10 years and it's loaded with Stripers and White Bass feeding on them. It's been heavy with schools of Shad almost every year I've fished it. Numerous pods of surface Shad are common sights every Spring. I'd expect Pymy won't change much either unless some disease wipes out tons of baitfish. Good numbers of baitfish are a plus for predatory fish but sure makes catching a lot harder!  Just strange to see such a quick drop in Walleye catch rates this year.   
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/30 11:23:05 (permalink)
Went to Shenango Dam yesterday to watch them inspect the lower dam and outflows. I don't know how often they do it but they actually have a full crew of people atop the dam and 3 men in a boat that actually walk inside the shut down sluice gates and do visual inspections. Could not get over how bad the water smelled flowing out ! Smelled like a mix of sewer gas and propane ! Never in all my years have I smelled the water stink that bad . Just wonder if it's a mix of dead fish bacteria from Pymy flowing through. Didn't stay very long !   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/30 13:18:26 (permalink)
I just passed over the reservoir not more then a hour ago. Surprised to see the water level looking like normal summer pool.

Couldn't see if the boat docks were pulled at the rec area. Vegetation on the rt18 causeway so overgrown. That use to be a pretty sight while crossing the lake.

Good question about that oder you find to be so strong Captain. As much as the sluices were used this summer, I'd have to wonder if the oder would be coming from them.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/30 21:37:54 (permalink)
I have no idea why it smelled so foul maybe from them shutting and opening different sluice gates today. Might have just stirred up a lot of water and bottom lake and river sediment. If Pymy smells that bad forget fishing !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/09/30 22:50:32 (permalink)
Don't know about Pymie Brock, haven't fished there since early May. In fact, haven't fished anywhere since May. Excuse me (self pity party(😟)) OK all better now.

I would liken that smell to the oder of a piece of old black pipe natural gas line. Not that I'm insinuating anyone (we know) goes around sniffing old gas pipe. But it ain't like smelling roses either.

With those thoughts fresh in mind I now have to wonder, how the hell do I come up with this stuff???

Stupid old gas pipes.

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/10/01 00:38:36 (permalink)
I'll let you all know what pymie smells like tomorrow. It'll probably just be taking the boat for a ride dragging cranks with hopes of either a smaller toothy critter or their larger cousins bite. I can say at least I havnt lost a lure yet this year!
sky12
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/10/01 05:36:01 (permalink)
the odor is a natural action, result of geosmin blue green algae and bacteria.
roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/10/02 08:57:10 (permalink)
I learned a new word today "Geosmin."
Geosmin is the reason my wife doesn't like to eat beets. There, I used it in a sentence. :)

Thanks sky!

-roy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/10/02 09:31:07 (permalink)
Use Geomins in a sentence??

I can't even pronounce it!!!

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango in trouble... good and bad 2017/10/04 14:29:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/10/04 14:59:06
Inspecting the dam / 7 gate sluices

Jump to: