Helpful ReplyParking along the Ohio river

Author
macneilslt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/16 14:17:02 (permalink)

Parking along the Ohio river

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the Pittsburgh area. I'm currently living in Bellevue and have been trying to fish along the Ohio river. I've read a few posts on here about Dashields and Emsworth locks...I've fished at the Dashields lock and the Emsworth boat launch, caught a few channel cats at both. My biggest problem is finding places to park with access to the shore since a lot of it is industrial, any recommendations places to park with access to the river, preferably around locks and dams, but anywhere would be greatly appreciated. 
looch325
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/19 22:31:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby macneilslt 2017/09/19 23:30:38
Well there are only 3 dams in the PA section of the Ohio, sounds like you been to the 2 in Allegheny county. The last one, Montgomery, is in Industry, Beaver County right before it flows to make the Ohio/WV border about 8 miles from the dam, the fishing is generally great below the dam for stripers, walleye, sauger, and bass(all 3:  lm, sm, spots) and by the 2 islands for bass and catfish(flathead, channel, and blues have been caught in this pool last few years), first island is 2 miles down, the other one Georgetown Island is right before it leaves PA. For the lock You have to park by the train tracks and it's a little bit of a hike down to the area where it's safe to fish. You take 68 toward Midland(Midland-Beaver Rd) and when you pass the old Lock 6 Restaurant you know you are getting close, look out for a street named Pleasant Hill or Grove as you come into the town and make a left then a right and you will see where to park and walk down to the tracks and then down to the lock & dam. There are a bunch of signs from PA game. Dont litter, the people in the houses  next to the tracks are nice as long as you arent littering. There is a boat launch  past Midland in the tiny town of Glasgow, I've only fished the 2 islands by boat and we launched from there. I use to go night catfishing down there a lot from boat with a friend. Chasing the flatty record.

In between Dashields and Montgomery, it's really easy to park in Rochester and not too bad in Monaca but Rochester is designed for bank fisherman, the fishing is hit or miss. Pleasure boats, ski-doos, jet-skis are ripping through there all evening during the week and all day on weekend so I dont fish there often.  Beaver River is right there and much easier fishing from the banks and all the same species in the Ohio are in that last section of the Beaver River up to the Townshend Dam in New Brighton, there is a "Fish Park" below the dam on NB side, fishing is great on Fallston Wall side but cant get there legally from that side, you have to walk or drive through a steel mills property .  Tons of docks, creek mouths, stream runs, bridges and structure to fish near from the mouth to the dam but a lot of people fishing also, no wake from boats really unless you are fishing the mouth or someone is an **** and wants to ruin their boat, pretty shallow, there are areas you can almost wade across. Stripers run in and leave. They were just in there for 2 weeks straight. The little shad never ran into the Beaver  so far this year that I know of, no one saw them that I spoke to while I was on vacation, when they come in, the stripers dont leave until they eat them all or they die. Closer to Montgomery back on the Ohio River I've seen guys fishing under the 376 Vanport bridge and at a point in Freedom(closer to Dashields) but no clue how they get there, both good spots I have fished from a boat. Maybe try to find a spot on Neville Island

Good Luck and if you plan to come this way and got questions, ask.
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/21 21:48:05 (permalink)
Nice post looch, very informative. Im not a shore fisher on the rivers but that post was very helpful to many who are.

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/22 20:14:42 (permalink)
Thanks Meatball. Yeah I been a river rat all my life, like fishing  all the dams. I know the shore well here, cant help much with Emsworth and Dashields, pretty much always been in a boat to fish near those dams and the other 2 big rivers. 

Bellevue isnt too far from Beaver County, just right down 65, then follow signs for 68 in East Rochester to go to Beaver(main street is 68) and then through Vanport toward Midland if the OP wants to go to Montgomery. But Rochester has real nice access where you can park close to where you are fishing. Coming from Bellevue on 65 you would make first right after the Long John's/A&W and Pep Boys in E Rochester then at 1st red light, make the hard left(you can go straight, slight left, hard left) and that road loops around and will take you down to the riverfront of both the Ohio River and farther down the road, mouth of the Beaver River, lots of good parking all along that road/walking trail. If you ever seen the movie Kingpin, the bowling alley where Woody Harrelson's character lost his hand is right down there at the beginning of the 15mph road next to the river. He loses his hand across street where the fleet gas station is, medic rescue fills their ambulances there. They often sit there waiting on a call.
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/23 06:38:14 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing these tips!

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/23 09:00:14 (permalink)
@Looch325

River people are coolest!🍻

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

macneilslt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/23 13:58:35 (permalink)
Great information, thanks a lot...I did get down to Montgomery last week, very nice spot. I briefly stopped at Rochester, but there were about 1000 Jet skis around so I decided to skip it for the time being. Previously, I went to Neville Island, but I couldn't really find a place to get to the shore. I stopped at the firearms/bait & tackle shop to ask if they knew anything, but they weren't that helpful. 
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/23 14:42:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby macneilslt 2017/09/23 22:32:10
Yeah those boaters can drive a bank fisherman nuts, I was more trying to steer you toward the Beaver River side, it's no wake and the pleasure boaters pretty much only use it to get from their marina to the Ohio River and back to the marina from the Ohio. Beaver River is no-wake and at least in that section below the final dam you can catch all the same species. The Ohio is just so massive, if you aren't next to a dam or have a boat to cover water and explore some the fishing can be hit or miss. The Beaver is like a large creek when you compare it to the Ohio.

Even with the heat, the pike are acting like it's fall, moving into the shallows to attack any poor fish they can find. I've caught 3 average sized pike(22, 24, and 25) the last 2 evenings wading in 18-30 inch deep water on whopper plopper 110 and 130s about 1 mile from the mouth of the Beaver River. Also lost a large esox shaped fish that was really taking line before spitting my plopper. That was probably my 2017 musky I been trying to catch all year. Seen 2 more pike(27 and 29") caught by a young couple on live shiners under a bobber farther up river closer to NB dam. Where I caught the 3 pike, the pike and muskies put on a show every evening busting on baitfish, crappie by a laydown, and I suspect they are eating sauger. Because the water is shallow, sometimes you can see them chasing fish for some distance, I watched one little fish skip across the water like a rock for 15-20ft. Never seen nothing like it
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/24 19:12:10 (permalink)
I caught many musky in the fall at the mouth Brady's Run creek that flows into the Beaver river,also a very small stream right next to Kelly's bar produced musky and eyes.
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/26 13:55:23 (permalink)
Big Tuna
I caught many musky in the fall at the mouth Brady's Run creek that flows into the Beaver river

That's where I got these pike, I caught a few more in same size range over the weekend. A kayaker told me he thinks the pike have run off the muskie, I have to agree with him. It's amazing how many 23-26 inch pike that were down there, I keep thinking I caught the same fish but they werent. I usually get 1 or 2 muskie in spring there and a couple in the fall, not this year. I did lose a big muskie in spring that jumped. There's a 50+ that roams the calmer waters near the turbines. Seen a bunch of guys hook it in a week period in March, only one landed it. That fish seems to know how to get off.

Caught a huge walleye at Kelly's about 10 years ago, 32 inches. Biggest walleye I've ever caught that wasnt a Lake Erie fish.

I try to keep that spot secret but many folks know about it, I'm always finding steel leader rigs while wading.

Another good spot for pike is near that island below the dam, that's where the young couple got their 2 on shiners. 
post edited by looch325 - 2017/09/26 18:19:03
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/29 09:41:49 (permalink)
There is a boat ramp about a half mile up from the 79 bridge that has a nice point above it.  You access it from Hill road off of 65.  I've never fished it from land but I was in my boat right out from it last week.  We marked a ton of fish out from it.  Didn't catch any, but we didn't stay that long.  We were using all big baits so I'm not really going for numbers.  Hero or zero
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/29 18:16:12 (permalink)
hero or zero, I like that lol

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/09/29 20:43:37 (permalink)
Not real proud of how I had to handle this fish so she didn't swim off with a whopper plopper in her mouth. But I got my 2017 muskie! I wasnt even in the spot I've been catching the pike, I was up closer to NB dam("Sandy Beach", nothing sandy or beachy about it) and was in a spot I normally catch smallmouth and hybrids with 10lb test. 

As I was landing it, the line broke so I jumped in the river, grabbed the fish and slid it on the bank. I wanted to keep my lure, I didn't want her swimming off with a whopper plopper sealing her mouth and I definitely wanted photos. The blood you see on the fish under the gill is from my finger, she got me somehow. She had a little blood in her mouth. After 2-3 minutes holding her straight in water she swam away strong. Still, I'm a little worried I took a lot of her slime off wrastling with her like Steve Irwin and a croc. I thought the blood was the muskies until I rinsed it off and it came back.

35.5" and I bet more than 10lb. Pics dont do justice on how girthy she was. Eating good in the neighborhood. I caught her by casting out to where a blowup had just happened, bout 10 minutes after releasing her there was a huge blow-up that Im guessing came from an even bigger fish, I casted past it a few times and run my plopper through but no luck, probably a good thing, but I had to try. I was a complete mess and went home well before dark to get cleaned up. 

post edited by looch325 - 2017/09/29 20:50:30
tanner12oz
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: Parking along the Ohio river 2017/10/15 15:54:32 (permalink)
from your side of the river cross the sewickley bridge make the right onto 51 and head up stoops ferry..at the bottom make the right...the next right hand turn will take you to dashields...follow the hill up [past the basketball courts and you can park at shouste park (dam road is closed due to construction)...also a decent wading spot if you go through the tunnel instead of going up the hill past the basketball court..go through tunnel go left then quick right...drive to river via dirt cutoff on right...creek feeds in right there. 
Jump to: