Arthur memorial weekend or LABOR DAY, whatever. Calendars are dumb.

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/05 09:21:36 (permalink)

Arthur memorial weekend or LABOR DAY, whatever. Calendars are dumb.

Anyone else get out?  Had plans to go Friday night but got blown out.  Headed out for bait around 3pm and the trees on my road were bent in half.  If it is blowing that hard in Zelie generally the lake will be a nightmare.  Bagged it until Sunday.  Weather finally cleared up around 6pm and I bullied my wife into a short evening trip.  Got launched on a glass flat lake at 7:30pm.  Bait everywhere, whole place looked fishy.  Very few boats out.  

Got to our spot and put 6 baits out, and... nothing.  Fished until 10 and the only thing we caught was bullheads.  Which I find entertaining when they are hitting between wipers and channels but we skipped those fish.  Didn't even pick up a random panfish.  Pulled the boat around 10pm and we were the only trailer in the lot.  Maybe we didn't get the memo.  
post edited by ZelieSam - 2017/09/05 14:11:25

9 Replies Related Threads

crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 09:46:08 (permalink)
    I've tried Arthur a few times in the fall with the same results.  I'm guessing too much bait around. 
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 10:08:30 (permalink)
    In the last few trips to Arthur with my boys and I, we've done very poorly as well in spots where we were doing pretty well at this time last year.  Even the normally abundant bluegills for my 7 year old have been tough to come by.  One channel cat in our last 2 or 3 trips, and a few dink bass.  

Have started to see wipers busting alewives on top though in the last hour of daylight.  

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 10:27:04 (permalink)
    rsquared

Have started to see wipers busting alewives on top though in the last hour of daylight.  

That is awesome when they do that.  Only issue is, they don't last long.  Like said, about an hour window.  Then usually a minute or so for each pod of alewives they are harassing.  Just long enough to spot them, motor to them, and they are gone...  I've driven myself insane going from pod to pod, and maybe get a cast in while still busting.  Still pretty cool to watch though.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 10:45:10 (permalink)
    Porktown
    rsquared

That is awesome when they do that.  Only issue is, they don't last long.  Like said, about an hour window.  Then usually a minute or so for each pod of alewives they are harassing.  Just long enough to spot them, motor to them, and they are gone...  I've driven myself insane going from pod to pod, and maybe get a cast in while still busting.  Still pretty cool to watch though.

About 10 seconds of busting is the longest I've seen so far this year, although have seen longer in the past.  But not much longer.  

Being shore bound, it's tough.  Busted up my noodle rod last week trying to reach 'em.  Had a 1/8 jig head with a 3" gulp minnow and a weighted cigar bobber.  I can huck that outfit a long ways, longer than I can a Bomber or Thunderstick.  Bobber hit about 1/3 of the way down the rod on one cast and that was all she wrote for that rod.  Fortunately, it was only a $25 Pinnacle that's easily replaced.  Got about 5 years out of it.  

Did have one very, very quick hookup and hook spit doing that, although it wasn't a huge fish.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 11:35:35 (permalink)
    I'm not one to chase fish and that certainly holds us back with the wipers.  We position the boat in a likely spot where we know they chase bait and hope they show up.  But catfish are literally everywhere in the lake and certainly there are always numbers where we were.  Going zero on channels during that window is crazy.  It happens, but not very often. 

Water was still just shy of 70 degrees.  Need a couple solid weeks of cooler weather to drop it into real fall range.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 13:34:18 (permalink)
    Just to bust your stones, it was Labor Day, not Memorial Day...  Funny thing is, I did the same exact thing, sending an email last week.

Yeah, a minute or two, was very generous.  The longest that I have ever seen, was probably much closer to the 10 seconds that you mentioned.  I have seen a few that will bust on one pod of alewives, then almost immediately on a second pod that is 30 feet away.  May or may not be the same school of wipers.  Usually those pods of alewives are maybe 50 or so, skimming the surface.  I've seen enormous schools of them, 20 feet wide to as deep as I could see.  That is very rare, and was in May when I saw them school like that.  I definitely see large bait balls on my electronics, that are likely that thick.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 14:21:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Pork.  Got it fixed.  :)  Now that people know what day I meant the whole lake is spot-burned.  They'll be lined up to not catch any fish.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 15:19:39 (permalink)
    You're welcome.  The new title sounds better!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Arthur memorial weekend 2017/09/05 15:22:22 (permalink)
    Sam did you say it's time for "not catching fish"??? Sounds like I need to get back on the water. Dam how time do fly

As for the need of cooler water... Winter's coming, the 'Night King' cometh. Stupid White Walkers.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: