Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/21 10:18:23 (permalink)

Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys

Headed for the launch Saturday around 2pm.  As we came under the bridge we saw two odd things.  First was the PAFC boat sitting out between the Bear Run launch and the swimming beach.  Haven't seen that boat on the lake in years.  Second there were a half dozen boats 100 feet from the launch whipping the water with lures.  I didn't pick up on the whole bass tourney thing until I saw the weigh in table set up.  The wardens must have only been "working" because of the tourney.  They came in close behind us and didn't check a single boat or cooler that we saw.  Three of them hung out by the weigh in area doing... ?  

Two other things of note.  First was me failing badly to trailer my boat.  Pulled the boat in the middle of 90 bass boats trying to come in.  Boat looked wrong but I pulled away anyway.  Turns out one of the bottom strakes (aluminum fin deals are strakes right?) was sitting ON the bunk instead of along side it.  SIGH.  Drove back to the launch, put in far enough to float the back end, pushed it over off the bunk.  Pulled the boat and drove off without making sure it was right.  And it wasn't.  SIGH!  Never had this happen in several years with this boat and had it happen twice Saturday.  I was over it.  Drove back to the launch through the same 90 bass ****s for a third time.  Bonus this time was some b**** who was prepping his boat right AT THE LAUNCH.  Idiot.  Third time was the charm and we got out of there finally.  I'd have expected one of the wardens to notice us doing that three times and maybe see if we were drunk or high or something but they weren't fussed with any wardening.  

Did see some impressive bass in bags headed for weigh in.  Impressive for a big dumb sunfish anyway.  I didn't weigh the one in my cooler that ate a fathead.  :)  

Moral of the story: sometimes the idiot at the launch is YOU, so cut people some slack.  Unless they are a bass guy parked in the middle of everything because they are a selfish Dbag.  

14 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/21 10:42:20 (permalink)
    PFBC was available for Tournament PHOTO-OP and free selfie's.

Sucks when the boat won't co-operate.

Stupid boat.

One good thing, it was you and, the rest of us got some good chyts & giggles.

Thanks for the memories.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/21 20:04:10 (permalink)
    Wanna hear a good one? The oldest son and I put his Lund in at Buffalo Creek in Freeport amidst an entire launch full of trucks, trailers, boats, and individual vehicles taking up truck/trailer parking. We finally launch, I put the Jeep and trailer on the grass 'cause the morons have taken up the parking, we fire the big 90, and down the creek we go to the river. Get out on the river, turn downstream a 100 yds. or so, and we start fishin'. 15 minutes later, we're down the river a half mile from the creek, and Roger looks down at his feet and says, "where's all this water comin' from"? Had taken the plug out the week before, told himself not to walk away from it, (but he did), and didn't put it back in. All that storage and carpeting is under water. No problem, tilt the big motor all the way up, and he's able to get the plug back in. Snap on the bilge pump. No pump. Said it worked the week before. I said check the fuse. He pulls the fuse plug out of the panel, and the fuse panel breaks. He says, "what'a we do now"? I says we need to get back to the ramp and get the boat back on the trailer, and though we had to wait for two other boats, we got 'er back on and pulled the plug. The ramp at Freeport on the creek is pretty steep, and 15 or 20 minutes later, (and probably between 75 and 100 gallons of water, we rolled 'er back in and went fishin' for 4 hours. Nothin' to write home about. Stupid fish! And so....
    Sunday a week ago, Roger and I go up and launch at Cowanshanock Creek, which puts us on pool #7 on the Allegheny. We're fishin' an hour or two, and my youngest, (Scott) calls us and says he's comin' up with my truck and boat. Told him to call us again when he got to the launch and we'd help him. Didn't hear from him for a long time, so we motored back down to the launch to find him sittin' on ramp with the plug out of my boat and the bilge pump runnin', and gallons and gallons of water drainin' from my recently rebuilt boat. By the time he'd parked the Ram and trailer and got back down there, it was sittin' on the semi-tilted motor skeg. Two meatheads were about to trailer two jetskis, and he asked if he could quickly get back in and trailer the boat, but they say NO!, and go ahead and load their skis. So when they got outta the way, he had quite a time pushin' the boat out deeper with the skeg draggin', but was able to get it back on the trailer and drained, whereupon I said, "put your stuff in here, (Roger's boat), and I'll use my own boat to finish out the day. Hope both of them learned their lesson about checkin' the ****ed equipment before ya go fishin'! Is the bilge pump and fuse fixed in the Lund yet. Nope. Not three weeks later. Don't wanta spend the time; he'd rather be fishin'.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/21 20:55:36 (permalink)
    Emitch you know children will be children. lol

If I might suggest, if the plug problem ever occurs again don't fret. Fire up the motor and open the throttle and run as fast as possible while staying legal. Smaller motors mag be sluggish because of a lot of water but eventual the water will be sucked right back out of the boat. Of course have the plug handy when you stop and go fishing.

I know this works because its all in the name....... several times.

Disclaimer; never tried this with a boat totally swamped. Mainly with water up to or slightly over the ankles.

Enjoyed your story, tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/21 21:24:40 (permalink)
    Wow.  I'm so happy that my boat is bone dry and I ~NEVER~ pull the plug.  I don't even want to pull it to clean the boat, because of that kind of thing.  Last boat we drug down to NC and moored it at a marina.  Around day 3 or 4 we're putting out of the marina and some water sloshes in the back corner.  I look under the floor and it is FULL of water.  Try the bilge, doesn't work.    Fished, left it in the marina, drove back to the rental.  My dad says "it is starting to rain... that boat will sink!"  Ten minute drive back and the boat has enough water in it that I was sketchy getting in (I'm hippo sized on a good day).  Dad bailed the boat with a minnow bucket.  SIGH!  
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/21 22:45:20 (permalink)
    The Lund doesn't leak. He just pulled the plug to check. My Sylvan leaks just a tad when I fish by myself, when all the weight is in the stern. If one of the boys is with me, it don't leak at all. That tells me the leak may be somewhere midway up the transom, possibly the plastic transducer mount that can mount 3 transducers. When I'm by myself, about every 1/2 hour or so, I snap the pump on for 10 or 15 seconds and it'll put out a couple or 3 quarts or so, and I'm good. My boat is 29 years old this year.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/21 23:18:30 (permalink)
    While you have your boat trailored in the driveway and as level as possible, just add water.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 10:20:09 (permalink)
    EM - I wasn't saying your boats leaked, just that my current boat NOT leaking lets me leave the plugs in full time.  Which lets me never wonder if I left the plug out.  I've been in your boat (pun intended).  I think most of us have.  We should design a little $10 alarm for when you launch with no plug.  We'd be rich.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 11:15:22 (permalink)
    There is an alarm, built in, called wet feet. However fishing with wet feet don't necessarily mean there's water coming in the boat. 😋

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 11:19:03 (permalink)
    Just make sure you put the $10 alarm in, before you launch...  

Have been in the same boat, like Sam said, most of us have.  Luckily you have that 90 and can hit plane, likely draining while you were riding.  I had to find the nearest shore, and jump in and plug.  Then to the ramp to drain.  Pretty sure that I burnt out my bilge, trying to operate with no water in the hull.  Really should get that replaced...
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 19:09:36 (permalink)
    Zelie,

I have actually seen the PAFC boat there every weekend since mid May between bear run and the 528 bridge, even seen them pull a few people over and rescue a sunken sail boat this year.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 21:33:44 (permalink)
    BTDT, I didn't want any water in my boat other than that tiny leak in the stern. When I did the rebuild, every panel was done in vinyl and silicone caulk was used everywhere. Sealed the panels to each other, and all the side storage and casting deck panels are sealed to the inside of the hull. My idea was that even if caught in a downpour, all water would be forced to the bilge pump at the back. There are places that when I put in the two part level flotation under the new floor that I had to trim it. This meant cutting off the "skin", therefore making it like a sponge.  I dug out about 500 lbs. of soakin' wet flotation when I stripper 'er down to the bare hull. 6 drum liner garbage bags full. I don't want it to absorb any water, so I won't be puttin' any water in the boat to find a negligent little leak. Good idea though. We're gonna use it in a few weeks when we start the rebuild on the little 14' Sylvan. With no floor and all the flotation dug out, should be able to seal it up from inside no problem, then double the sealing from the outside. I think that one leaks a little where the stern plate is riveted to the hull sides.

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 21:43:41 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you guys, originally my boat had a Rule bilge pump. It was riveted to the keel to transom brace, and it was tight to the floor. My new pump is a Johnson, which mounts differently. I had to mount it to a L shaped aluminum bracket. The closest to the floor I could get it leaves about 5/8" under the pump, so I pull the plug to drain that last 1/2 gallon or so. The nice thing about the Johnson is that if the pump fails, you just disconnect the wires, trip a little detent, turn the pump a quarter turn to remove it and toss it. The pump and motor is a cartridge. Slap a new one in and plug it in, and you're good.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/22 23:14:17 (permalink)
    Dang Emitch your project sounds very similar to another project we followed here on the forum. I'm not sure but I'm thinking there was some floaty stuff issues during build. I guess the boat still floats.

I kinda threw that water test out as a suggestion for all to read along with running the boat with drain plug removed to quickly drain a flooded boat. However, I should have mentioned not a good idea to try this using a electric motor or in a row boat. Nope not a good idea at all. Boat gotta go faster than the water coming into the drain hole.

Take care and tight lines.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/22 23:17:04

crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Arthur Saturday 8/19 - launch woes and bass tourneys 2017/08/23 10:41:49 (permalink)
    I once launched my boat at buffalo creek ramp in freeport.  After fishing we pulled in and I tied the boat up.  Went up to the truck and backed down to see my boat going down the creek.  Luckily I had a rod in my truck with a heavy lure.  I threw out and hooked the boat and slowly pulled it back.  This was early season 50ish degree water so I'm glad that worked out.  Would have been a cold swim.

Jump to: