Helpful Replyeradicateing pike

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/17 10:18:35 (permalink)

eradicateing pike

I just read an article in the Tribune Review that states that the state of Nevada was declaring war on Northeren Pike in some of its lakes because they are an invasive species that are deemed harmful to the native species. A couple of years ago they drained this particular lake & then restocked it with what they thought were more desireable fish. Then this year people started to catch Northerens again which was they believe caused by fishermen releasing them in the lake unlawfully. The DNR is offering $10,000 for information leading to arrest of these guys. The DNR claims that the Pike are destroying the fishing by eating the other fish. Guess it depends on your point of view ?   sam
PaYakr
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 12:06:30 (permalink)
Interesting. I recall seeing some small lakes in Alaska where the pike could have been considered invasive.  They literally ate everything and were really just surviving by eating each other.  They struck any lure you threw in the water, as soon as it hit the water.  Not sure what causes that to occur in some waters and not others. Difficult to imagine that could happen in PA, but why couldn't it?
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 13:04:41 (permalink)
My son and I took a fishing trip to Colorado this summer. There were one or two reservoirs near some of the rivers we fished where the state was asking that all pike be removed and killed for the same reason, mainly because of trout predation. Trout fishing in CO is big $ for the state so I kind of understand the reasoning there.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 14:38:17 (permalink)
Hard fighting, tasty fish that grows to trophy size, or pelletheads?  How is this even a competition.  Trout are bait, or something you buy at the seafood counter if you don't like fish that taste better.  
Pro Angler
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 15:45:15 (permalink)
Most trout fishing in CO is sustained by natural reproduction. Some of those reservoirs grow absolute monster trout, and they run the headwaters to spawn and reproduce. Lots of restrictions on harvest of em though so that populations are sustained for an incredible recreational experience. Protecting the resource and wild populations of fish is big $ for the state. Not anything at all like PeeAy.

Some people fish for the experience, and not the harvest. I do a little of both. Colorado was definitely a trip for the experience for both my son and I, not to see how many trout we could bonk.

There are also plenty of reservoirs that include great pike fishing as well, and are managed for that purpose.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 15:53:38 (permalink)
When you say monster trout, do you mean Brownies or Rainbows?
Pro Angler
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 16:40:36 (permalink)
psu_fish
When you say monster trout, do you mean Brownies or Rainbows?

Both, although in the big fish category, browns seem to be more predominant than rainbows.  But the true beasts - 10# plus - tend to be rainbows.  If that makes any sense.  

BTW, we did not catch any monsters, but if you check out social media from any guides or outfitters in CO, you'll see the quality of wild fish there.  Absolutely amazing what those river and reservoir systems can produce and sustain in terms of quality trout.   

Did a little checking to refresh my memory.  There's actually a $20 bounty on Pike at Green Mountain Reservoir and the article explains why: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/conservation-politics/20-northern-pike-bounty-offered-at-colo-lake/

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9694
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 17:49:49 (permalink)
Pretty good amount of cutthroat trout too.  Not sure if they get as massive.  One of my best friends growing up lives out there.  He has sent me some photos of those beasts that R2 speaks of.  He almost got me to consider moving out there.
Pro Angler
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 18:13:24 (permalink)
Right on Pork. Quick check of CO state record fish shows some hefty salmanoids. 30# brown, almost 20# rainbow, 16# cutthroat.
post edited by rsquared - 2017/08/17 19:00:55
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 18:22:20 (permalink)
If I lived out there I'd be filling my freezer with Northerns.  Tasty when caught in colder waters during winter months.

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/17 22:35:00 (permalink)
PaYakr
Interesting. I recall seeing some small lakes in Alaska where the pike could have been considered invasive.  They literally ate everything and were really just surviving by eating each other.  They struck any lure you threw in the water, as soon as it hit the water.  Not sure what causes that to occur in some waters and not others. Difficult to imagine that could happen in PA, but why couldn't it?

lol probably because once they reach legal size here in pa there bonked 

I have become comfortably numb
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/18 10:45:27 (permalink)
Fair point RSq.  Not much comparison between pellethead fishery here and a real native fishery.  Still not a fan of trout in general but I get it... the guys who fly fish for the tiny native trout left in PA have their own thing.  Not my cup but I get it.  
If I had my way I'd stock bigger and better non_native fish all over the place.  Euro-perch?  Yes please!  They eat LMB fry?  BONUS!  :)  But that isn't a popular opinion.  People love their boring native fish around here.  
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/18 11:42:40 (permalink)
Sam, I agree with you.  I'd love to see some huge fish like that here.  They spend way too much raising trout that just die when the water warms anyway.  That is if they don't get put on a rope.  I'd love to see how big pure stripers would get below kinzua.  I'd imagine it would be like the trophy fisheries in TN.
Pro Angler
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/18 20:27:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby D-nymph 2017/08/29 11:49:13
python73
Fair point RSq.  Not much comparison between pellethead fishery here and a real native fishery.  Still not a fan of trout in general but I get it... the guys who fly fish for the tiny native trout left in PA have their own thing.  Not my cup but I get it.  
If I had my way I'd stock bigger and better non_native fish all over the place.  Euro-perch?  Yes please!  They eat LMB fry?  BONUS!  :)  But that isn't a popular opinion.  People love their boring native fish around here.  

No, there's really no comparison.  I'm not real into trout like I was even 5 or 10 years ago, but I'd love to go back and do it again sometime soon.  My son is 13, and is a fly fishing snob - no idea where he gets it from, as I'm a bait chucking, spin fisherman all the way neanderthal - and he is now ruined for the rest of his life every time he'll have to stand in a Western PA ditch and fish for pellet heads. 

He's got 2 pike on a fly under his belt this summer.  Now he's throwing even bigger streamers for musky at Arthur.  He'll huck streamers for hours with the hopes of catching one or two quality fish no matter where we go and what's in the water, and that's what he did two of the days we were in Colorado on some of the best water in the state for big trout.  We did quantity for a few days, and then sought some quality and found it.  

Me?  I'm as happy catching a bunch of bluegills and crappies with my 7 year old as I am catching big fish.  He and I would be all about some perch on steroids and other stuff that tastes good.  
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/18 21:38:33 (permalink)
python73

lol well as i got older i enjoy the hunt for native brookies    finding a tiny unnamed stream and seeing if native brookies thrive there   i have found brookies in    good ole johnstown believe it or not    in streams  that you would think are jus  overflow  ditches  or drainage ditches   so  to me its a challenge   as i get  older its about the whol8i experience   im way past the  bigger is better mentality   lol  if thats your thing great  it keeps you goin    id rather get a truly  wild trout of  8 inches in a stream i discovered   then a big  striper  or whatever large  fish   to be  bigger is not always better 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/18 22:56:54 (permalink)
Kokanee I'd like to reinforce that feeling of fishing ditches for native brooks. But before I do you must promise never to tell anyone I fished trout.

Thanks for the memories of walking the needle carpets under and thru hemlock laden forest. Moving along narrow but sometimes deep tributaries to the somewhat larger trout streams.

The smell of pine strong in the air as I stepped on the soft cushion of needles, looking for any undercut of bank, along a stream.

8 ft fly rod in hand rigged with two pound tippet tied to a #12 hook and a tad of a redworm attached.

Find a pool of water just below a bit of a riffle or along a undercut and slowly present the bait.

Fish were seldom over 6" but once in a while a fair sized brown, having found it's way from the main stream, would light you up. Not knowing what it was, the excitement was unreal, when trying to land hopefully a very large brookie on two pound test.

Again thanks for the memories.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/18 23:31:37 (permalink)

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/19 09:19:21 (permalink)
python73

I totally agree, way too much money is spent on stocked trout to only see most (usually 10") fish gone by mid summer or sooner. People missing out on the hybrid striper fishing have no idea what a bonus fish for dead lakes was introduced years ago! They do excellent in local rivers too and the sport fight is an A+. Toss a bunch of these steady in rivers like French & Allegheny and watch the fishing take off. It's actually too bad they are a hybrid !  
looch325
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/22 13:40:34 (permalink)
PaYakr

Im no biologist but it seems to happen when bass and other predators that roam topwater arent around or at least not plentiful. The pike become the only predator. I go to a place in Manitoba with my brother every 5 years or so, sometimes more frequent. There are a few smaller lakes we fish up there but one is known for the quality walleye "footballs" it produces. About 14-15 years ago we went and the guides/locals were extremely frustrated because you couldn't really get your bait down to the walleye, a little 20" pike would be on before you could count to 3. And if you did get a walleye on, it was a race to get it in the boat before a 30-40" pike grabbed it. Seen quite a few pike be dragged to the boat and netted while biting down on a walleye, most would let go once they saw the boat. My brother and I had a ton of fun but the locals were worried their business was going to get hurt, I guess a couple of the other lakes used to be good walleye lakes in the past until pike took them over. They thought that was gonna happen again. That year, the fried walleye would always run out in the lodge which never happened before.   I dont know if they did anything or it worked itself out but the lake is back to normal, still a good number of pike but it's not like that one trip. 100-150(90% small pike) fish per day is normal and we usually stay 3-4 days(long weekend). There are guys that have caught 2500+ fish over a week. Great place to fish, so many lakes up there and not many people. 

My only guess is there are no other predators to compete with the pike, no bass, no muskies. Pike rule, walleye and burbot(eelpout) on the bottom. There were a few grayling and the deeper lakes(like Reindeer Lake) have lake trout(we don't pay for the lake trout charter usually). A fish called cisco seemed to be main forage for the big pike, and perch.

I have fished in some lakes in East PA where chain pickerel  are impossible to avoid and live with bass so maybe the lack of predators has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's just the perfect conditions for pike to thrive.

I know one side of Alaska is doing everything they can to avoid a pike invasion, where salmon fishing is their money-maker
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
Re: eradicateing pike 2017/08/29 08:51:19 (permalink)
rsquared
My son is 13, and is a fly fishing snob - no idea where he gets it from, as I'm a bait chucking, spin fisherman all the way neanderthal - and he is now ruined for the rest of his life every time he'll have to stand in a Western PA ditch and fish for pellet heads. 

There are worse things than being bored by pellet heads.  He just saw the light at a younger age, that's all.  He is a stud fisherman, and when he sticks a musky, you better show it off on here!

Jump to: