Trouble with catching Minnows/baitfish

Author
SuperSwordGaming
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/14 12:45:10 (permalink)

Trouble with catching Minnows/baitfish

So I went ahead and made a quick and easy minnow trap, but it seems like it's not catching anything, and I can see shiners jumping out not far away, as well as smaller black minnows/baitfish. I'm not sure what they are but they're like and inch long or so. I baited my trap with some bread, diced hot dog, and even a bit of jack links jerky stick. It's been sitting since yesterday morning and there's nothing in it at all. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, because the minnows come back by the pier as soon as the trap sits on the bottom, swimming directly above it. Should I try rigging it another way, or am I doing something way wrong? Thanks in advance!

The trap is like the photo, but it has holes on the side and paper clips twisted together instead of string, and one more for a rope to go through in the middle more.

Attached Image(s)

Jimsouth
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Trouble with catching Minnows/baitfish 2018/10/20 12:29:09 (permalink)
Not to get off track; but I remember an incident years ago, while out for minnows. Small steam at night & I was holding the net. My friend was moving down stream to herd the minnows. Into the bucket & home. When we began checking our catch, half of them were fingerling trout. Back to the stream for a quick release. 
Jump to: