keystone power dam - what's up

Author
phishfearme
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points: 0
2017/07/25 21:42:56 (permalink)

keystone power dam - what's up

we're planning to head to keystone power dam for the first time in years - used to fish it regularly (walleye, bass, perch - my buddy hauled in a 21inch small mouth - thought we were in erie) then the straw hats essentially eliminated the forage base and things went down hill fast.  any reports from this year (2017)?  will post when we get back.
thanks
phish

23 Replies Related Threads

JRSR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/08/06 09:21:21 (permalink)
    How did your trip go? Did the straw hats leave any fish behind?
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/08/07 22:34:41 (permalink)
    the blue army pretty much eradicated most of the quality fish that once swam in this   now a shell of its former self

I have become comfortably numb
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/08/08 16:58:56 (permalink)
    Fished on Sunday..beautiful day...found random schools in various depths concentrated in 30-40ft. However no takers, tried slow troll, jigging, live bait, no luck. Did manage 2 decent large mouth on crankbaits. Lot's of boats out. Water temps 75* ..I can't figure this lake out.

Got Walleye???
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/08/17 14:27:33 (permalink)
    The musky in my pic was caught at KPD. Most of the luck we had was suuuuuper early at the butt crack of dawn casting in the coves by the dam. Lots of small ones following our baits. The one in my pic was caught trolling the other end of the ****. If musky is your thing fish big and keep trying...they are in there...Apparently the "hump" or "island" in the middle of the lake used to produce a lot of fish when its submerged but we never fished it much to be honest...

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/08/19 16:38:49 (permalink)
    sorry for not posting - but after talking with some other locals around Shelocta - we decided to head to kahle lake instead of KPD.  did ok there - 31 bass but none over 14 inches, a few perch and few gills - no crappie.

will be heading to KPD in sept - will report back

phish
    PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/18 20:13:45 (permalink)
    Anyone been over to KPD lately?  Local bait shop mentioned bass and crappie have picked up.  Thinking about taking a day off and hitting this lake or driving up to fish the Allegheny around pool 6 or 7.
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/18 20:40:44 (permalink)
    PaTakr, If you are using a Kayak you might be okay. I went by there last Friday and the water is a good 5-6 feet down from full pool. I didn't ride down by the ramp so I don't know if they pulled the dock yet either.   Lou
    PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/18 20:51:48 (permalink)
    Will be using a kayak.  I did hear it is very low right now, but have come to expect that this time of the year.  Was just surprised when I heard the crappie fishing was picking up there.  Haven't had much luck with crappie this year other than one day at Arthur in the spring.

Might take a drive over tomorrow and check it out.  Considering just heading up to pool 7, then possibly hitting KPD on the way home.  Contemplating one last day trip somewhere within the next week before I hang the kayak up for the season since I do not have the gear for cold weather paddling.
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/19 19:59:59 (permalink)
    phishfearme
    sorry for not posting - but after talking with some other locals around Shelocta - we decided to head to kahle lake instead of KPD.  did ok there - 31 bass but none over 14 inches, a few perch and few gills - no crappie.

will be heading to KPD in sept - will report back

phish

Kahle lake wow, used to fish that pretty often as a kid late eighties, great perch stringers, sorry not about kpd, just brought back memories. Straw hats hit that lake heavy then, watched em clean out bottom of aluminum boats at the launch with everything, undersized or not..i still aint complainin, sometimes that's what a lake needs. Id like to load up a few van fulls of those blue shirted fellows and take em to some overrun stunted lakes I know...the can eradicate stunts in a week

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/19 21:55:07 (permalink)

"Kahle lake wow, used to fish that pretty often as a kid late eighties, great perch stringers, sorry not about kpd, just brought back memories. Straw hats hit that lake heavy then, watched em clean out bottom of aluminum boats at the launch with everything, undersized or not..i still aint complainin, sometimes that's what a lake needs. Id like to load up a few van fulls of those blue shirted fellows and take em to some overrun stunted lakes I know...the can eradicate stunts in a week"

I chatted with a few of the amish one day at KPD - they had a mess of small gills - I asked how do you clean these - the response was that they grind up the entire fish to make fish cakes.  I guess that's a real efficient use of the resource???
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/21 19:47:32 (permalink)
    Wow, yes indeed, that's interesting

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/23 11:07:37 (permalink)
    need to drop the blue army off at Brady's Run for a weekend or 2 then, thin out the crappie, bluegills, and largemouth. There is the odd 15"+ largemouth but for most part it's stunted dink city.
    BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/23 14:01:59 (permalink)
    Yep, go ahead - encourage the "blue army" to clean out your stunted fish.
    Then they will go right to work on cleaning out the rest of the lake.
    I know of 2 lakes local to me that they actually ruined!
    Something that I learned REAL QUICK when they moved to this part of the area - - -
    - creel limits are only for non blue shirts
    - "camping prohibited" signs are only for non blue shirts
    - "no littering" signs are only for non blue shirts
    - "no open fires" signs are only for non blue shirts
    - "park closes at sunset" signs are only for non blue shirts

I have to pick up after my dog poo's near the picnic area but horse apple are totally acceptable to lay there for weeks on end. 

Yes, we are still here!
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2017/10/29 18:35:45 (permalink)
    Yep, sounds about right. They don't really know how to fish though, id be concerned if they brought throw nets. Heck, I spent my younger days partying, burning after hours on many lakes, never littering, rather pickin after others, didn't know they were slobs that way, haven't seen that. And ive stepped in more dog crap around a lake than anyone I know, so you shouldn't have a dog around the lake...maybe ya missed a pile here and there...does that argument apply too?

-- Frank Sinatra
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/05/17 11:16:16 (permalink)
    Anyone fishing KPD lately? Any reports? hoping to head up there tomorrow for a few hours.

Got Walleye???
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/05/18 19:35:44 (permalink)
    Blue Lagoon, I haven't fished it this year yet but possibly next week I'll get a chance. I was supposed to be up at Pine Creek but canceled due to high water with more rain expected in the next couple of days. But I wanted to mention that I read in our local newspaper that the lake is still 10hp rated. They are trying to change it but nothing has been finalized and probably would not take place until this fall if it happens. In fact there is a Pa Fish Commission sight to present comments if you wish to see it changed.    Lou
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/05/21 09:59:31 (permalink)
    Lou, thanks for the response, I have a 9.9 so no issue for me. Lake was 64-67* throughout the day. Nice mix of smallies, largemouth and rock bass with a few pumpkin seeds mixed in. Tried trolling for eyes with no luck. Prob 30+ bass caught during the day. Fun times.

Got Walleye???
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/05/29 20:32:21 (permalink)
    Fished KPD today. Probably a half dozen boats on the lake. Caught a number of crappies but mostly 8" or less, a few bass and a couple perch. Nice to be on the water, although it got pretty warm in the afternoon.   Lou
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/06/21 20:07:38 (permalink)
    Fished KPD today after a failed attempt to fish Yellow Creek. The ramps were completely under water at the South and the main launch by the beach. So I drove over to Keystone. Had a slow start but things picked up as the day progressed. Kept about seven decent crappies out of about twenty. Several nice bass, but no perch or walleye. Did see an Amish man in a canoe dragging around about a 45" muskie. I weighed it for him and it was just shy of 20#'s. The water was clear considering all the rain we've had.  Lou
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/06/22 20:03:21 (permalink)
    KPD most beautiful lake I think I ever fished been there all last weekend . I realize I need to learn the lake only caught and seen small bass nothing worth even talking about .   
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/07/08 14:26:50 (permalink)
    Just got back little bit ago this is the Hardest place I ever fished seems to be live bait only are catching small  Crappy I would assume didn't pay much attention really.  Not one hit on any artificial I threw .  
    PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/07/08 15:23:19 (permalink)
    I gave it a go yesterday for the first time this year.  Couple smallies in the morning and a small perch mid-afternoon, all on minnows.  No hits on any artificial either.  I am on a kayak and usually launch before sunrise, often the first one on the lake.  Got there yesterday before sunrise and already about 6 buggies in the lot, and about 3 more rolled in before I got unloaded.  When they say the blue army hits this lake hard, they are not joking.  No better way to start your day than to drag the kayak through horse **** on the way to the water.  IF I ever try this lake again, I will use the Rt. 85 launch.  Didn't seem to be that many cars in the lot when I paddled by.  The Rt. 210 launch was packed when I loaded up last evening, with several trailers parked in the grass.

Honestly have not had much luck anywhere since the water warmed and probably won't take the yak out again until after labor day.  Picked up an inflatable paddle board designed for fishing in early spring so plan to spend the rest of the summer learning how to not fall off of it.
    Metal Bob
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: keystone power dam - what's up 2018/07/12 09:44:19 (permalink)
    Rivers seem to be where its at the past couple years for me. 
    Jump to: