Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..31323334 Showing page 34 of 34
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2023/09/12 09:26:38 (permalink)
Like talking to myself here--time for a real big break
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: fun stuff 2023/09/12 09:51:43 (permalink)
If it is venison, it cannot be whitetail. Probably fallow deer. Not much fat to induce flavor (not that whitetail has any either).

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 464
Re: fun stuff 2023/09/15 09:45:49 (permalink)
r3g3
Like talking to myself here--time for a real big break

I'll talk to you Trev.  Just returned from a trip to Pulaski.  Stayed at Whitakers, which is always nice.  Had 2 day passes for DSR, Wednesday and Thursday.  Not much happening overall, although conditions were good and improving.  Fought 2 fish on Wednesday, landed neither.  The first king hit a swung root beer colored bugger.  We wrestled around in the pool in front of me for a couple minutes then he took off toward downstream rapids.  I thought it was over but he didn't want to go back to the lake, he wanted to go up!  So he took off upstream.  I thought 'this is good, I'll have a chance to turn him...' Wrong.  Way into my backing, he accelerated, made one impressive jump totally out of the water and shook off.  I was overmatched.  I have landed many kings on the SR and this was by far the biggest fish I've ever hooked up with there.  The second fish was a "normal" 17-18 lber that took a pink blood dot.  That fight only lasted 15 seconds til he shook off.  That was it for Wednesday.  Otherwise I saw very few fish hooked or landed.  I realized that relatively speaking, I'd had a good day.  Yesterday (Thursday), was a beautiful day.  Thought there was a good chance for a major push but that never materialized.  I checked out the ball park on the way to the DSR...nothing.  I spent the morning just hiking the upper half of Douglaston watching guys flog the water and scouting some sections I had never been to before.

The highlight of yesterday was going to the new "Dunkin" (no donuts in the name anymore)
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: fun stuff 2023/09/21 07:59:57 (permalink)
We went to Pulaski for first time at DSR sept 11. Very few guys. Very few fish. We did find some down low. I’m guessing at the “peak” of run in October it will be much more crowded? They say they allow 250 people per day.
In your guys’ experience, is there still room to fish? We walked the entire stretch and it’s beautiful water. Seems like there would be a place for everyone but I’m guessing the holes get filled up.

Second day we fished public water below town hole and above it. Not so many guys. It was hilarious to watch ten dudes at the “staircase” hole slappin the water over and over! I guess it’s popular, cause the fish gotta pass thru there!

We are headed back there October 2. Hopefully there will be more fish!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: fun stuff 2023/10/01 19:36:30 (permalink)
I am not ignoring everyone. Phone plus login issues.
Kinda like it though.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: fun stuff 2023/10/07 07:23:19 (permalink)
Many many fish on October 2. I’ve never seen anything like it!
I’d love go go back up there for steelies and browns. When’s the best time for that?

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2023/12/21 00:21:45 (permalink)
Wish a very Merry Christmas to all 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2024/01/26 13:04:59 (permalink)

Sure miss the old days when many of us were fishing 
steel now and sending great reports-fish or not,
Guess I am like so many others--just cant do what I used to do,
Darn, am sure missing my place up there and being on the river 70 ish days a year all seasons for whatever ran.
Had to quit deer this year for good-hardly get up hills or  broken ground walks.
Have given great thought to a KIDDIE adventure in early spring or the fall right by the lot--we will see,
post edited by r3g3 - 2024/01/26 13:08:20
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: fun stuff 2024/02/06 08:01:14 (permalink)
The kiddie pool gave me one of my best days ever on a radical weather change from heavy snow to an afternoon of mid-50's. I had it to myself in the sun with almost every swing of a streamer getting whacked. Less chance of that happening now, as it's even more congested it seems. Still worth the try , though. Trevor, I hope you have good hookups on both fish and memories. Social media has changed and moved to shorter, pic laden replies. Forums , with some exceptions have blinked out like old Christmas bulbs. The one striper flyfishing forum I belong to is very alive and has had more actual mentions of SR fishing than this one. No one is worrying about tomato blight via their keyboard or cleaning the pool by touchscreen. I've done Ok fishing wise, but it is a little more crowded it seems post-Covid. I'm haunted by ghosts a bit, and so, I won't go very often. It will always be Clint's Rock to me, as it may be someone else's passed on friend's, too. I may not stop back here, so best of luck to those who still are hitting it hard, or wishing they were.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2024/02/06 12:56:09 (permalink)
Darnd nice to hear from you Fichy--Glad your still wetting lines.
You hit on one of my 'secrets' in the upper river areas for steel with the streamer story.
Had soooo much luck on small thin wire brookie imitations lol
Dont mind telling it now, perhaps it was just because no one else was using them and they were different but -hey- whatever works lol
I couldnt even walk up and down to Clints  rock any more.
post edited by r3g3 - 2024/02/06 12:59:06
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: fun stuff 2024/02/07 18:20:40 (permalink)
Pretty neat to see some posting about fun stuff even in an end of an era.
I guess I should type about some memory although there's so many.
Streamers seem to be the topic so it's a streamer memory.
Long ago once here, probably 3 times for me we did a fly swap. I included a go to streamer developed specific for that river. Or basically any river that had salmon smolts.
So many flies were shared, 3 of memory i received that really produced were Jack's spruce fly, peacock nymph and Clint's stone fly.
Both those fishers are now gone and missed here.
Throughout my over 20 years as a contributor to this forum I've met and shared some water and good times together.
Over the years people come and people go on a public forum.
Every once in awhile do lasting relationships happen. I'm grateful to have , to this day some of those.
It's because like minded people don't just focus on a single topic, it's always about the fun stuff that makes our lives better .
I've pretty much stopped communicating on forums. They just seem to be a place of opinions instead of a community. At my age I don't expect to teach or help others through a forum. Goals have been reached and people established as friends.

As for fishing the salmon river:
If it's still your gig that's awesome !!
I certainly enjoy that place and river itself.
It's no longer a must, but more so a visit to resident friends.
I don't enjoy the popular fishing areas that get pounded to the point of force feeding for my recreation purpose.
It's about a different direction for myself.

I surely appreciate the innuendo. Nothing gained, nothing lost. I'll continue researching about tomato blight

Peace and tuna.
R.I.P. pafisher & Clint.S

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2024/02/08 12:58:30 (permalink)
This past Monday I made the trip with three friends to Harrisburg PA for the Great American Outdoor show.  It's been a few years since I last attended that show but little has changed.  If anything, the fishing section of the show was disappointing. I expected higher end manufacturers to be in attendance but that was not the case. 

My neighbor had interest in purchasing a new crossbow.  He found a very nice TenPoint that fit his need and budget.  I believe the bow is rated at 430 fps.  The one feature that I really liked was the decocking mechanism, you no longer have to fire the knocked bolt at days end.  TenPoint has crossbows that now crank out at 515 fps, fast and flat.  They cost a king's ransom but what higher end products don't these days.

Towards the end of February, I may take a ride to Springfield Ma for the outdoors show at the Big E.  

Spring is within sight.  With it comes outdoors projects, drop back season and springtime hatches for trout.  Tight lines everyone. 

post edited by troutbum21 - 2024/02/08 13:03:55
Page: << < ..31323334 Showing page 34 of 34
Jump to: