Helpful ReplySneaking up to Pymie...

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2017/06/22 13:16:43 (permalink)

Sneaking up to Pymie...

Thinking of hitting pymie this Saturday.  Looks like the weather will be okay early.  Headed out tonight to try and catch some chubs and shiners.  Weather permitting I'll have a report Sunday.  Though it won't be from a pymie guy, so not sure what that's worth.  If I see BTDT out there I'll GPS his spot for everyone.  :D
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/22 20:14:05 (permalink)
Find Crappy's spot too!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/22 22:16:30 (permalink)
Nooooo you won't Zelie, I'll close my eyes and you won't see me, ha haa.

Hey you bringing sammiges??

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/24 22:02:32 (permalink)
WORST DAY EVAR!  So bad that I'm too tired to even tell the story.  Quick checklist of suck:

- my bait store was closed on Friday
- hung the first FOUR rigs I used on the bottom and lost them
- on the fifth bottom snag my 7' ugly stick SNAPPED IN HALF
- motoring away from that spot I smashed my boat into a stump
- finally caught a fish or two and the wind blew us right off two anchors in shallow water behind a **** island
- had to drive clear around the island to leave because of stump_terror
- couldn't park at sheetz on the way home because they didn't think maybe a car with a trailer might need room there
- 5 minutes after hitting 79S I see my trailer tire EXPLODE INTO SHRAPNEL AND DISINTEGRATE 

That isn't even the end of the day, since there is a whole saga around that last one.  Put it this way... if you saw a 20' aluminum boat with a blue cover, a shredded driver side wheel and no truck with it in the Linesville rest stop, that was my boat.  

FML.  Going to bed.  
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/24 22:21:22 (permalink)
Sorry you had that bad experience, Zelie. I had one of them myself on a Kinzua trip many moons ago.
Fishin' local, I don't worry too much about the trailer. Every spring I pull the hubs and check for water intrusion, re-grease and re-install. I don't want to lose a bearing out on the road. But when I travel, even if just up to Mosgrove or Kittanning, I check those air pressures every trip. Guess that's just the old over-the-road trucker in me. And I carry a spare on the trailer, but it's suspect. I put new galvanized wheels/tires on the trailer, but the spare is 29 years old, and slightly dry-rotted, though I did install a tube in it. Before my real fishin' season gets here this fall, I'm gonna get another wheel/tire combo. Shenango can be a real pain without the aggravation of trailer trouble on the way.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/24 22:47:13 (permalink)
Ouch! That is a rough day. Was hoping to hear a better report. I hear you though, the past 2 years in May I've had a motor crap out on me in the middle of the lake. It wasnt the best weather either time. Definitely frustrating when everything goes wrong. Better luck to you next time Zelie
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/24 22:48:27 (permalink)
So am I hearing it was just another typical day, only this time at Pymie, Zelie? Stupid boat trailer tire!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/25 10:10:12 (permalink)
The thing about my trailer, I DO maintenance on it.  When we rebuilt the boat last year I took it to my buddy's garage and got three matching new tires installed and I didn't go cheap.  In addition to that pretty much new full size matching spare I picked up a 6 ton bottle jack that stays in the truck (after the tire fiasco with the pontoon).  I'll admit that I had no tools other than a tire wrench.  I'll be addressing that by prepping a boat toolbox with everything I need to disassemble the trailer inside.  And here's why...

When the tire exploded it bent the fender IN somehow.  So when we got the spare on we couldn't drop the trailer; the fender was hitting the top of the tire.  We made some effort to bend it out with a ratchet strap but it laughed at that.  It is held on by 4 bolts.  So I needed two 9/16 wrenches to get the fender off.  Also just for fun we found two big gouges out of the tread on the other side tire (the one that didn't blow up) down to the belts.  We were a little skeptical that we'd get very far on that tire anyway.  

Decided to put the blown up rim back on and abandon the boat at the rest stop.  I chocked the rear wheel and left it in one of the trucker spots.  Called in reinforcements on the drive home (that's a good 45 mins North of me).  My mechanic friend brought me a close to matching full size spare from his boat and my dad brought his 1960 Cuban Missile Crisis bottle jack with fancy 4x4 attachment.  Quick time out to acknowledge the beauty of old American tools.  Other than some seals that jack might as well be brand new despite being abused for almost 60 years.  I doubt my Harbor Freight special jack will be an heirloom.  Anyway we drove back up, put both spares on and removed both fenders and headed home.  Right about the Slippery Rock exit I realized the truck had no gas.    Protip: the Slippery Rock rt108 exit of 79 is a LIE.  There is no gas, no anything for miles.  Man I hate that.  Drove clear into town to hit the Sheetz.  Made it home and parked the thing.  

Two finishing bits to the story.  First is we just did a go-over of the trailer before we hauled to DE bay a couple weeks back.  Checked tires and pressure on all three, filled bearing buddies, that sort of thing.  Prevailing theory is that something between the launch and 79 cut both trailer tires somehow.  Second thing is when we were fixing the boat the second time another boater stopped by to ask us if we needed any help.  He was on his way back from Erie with his boat.  That's classy.  We didn't need help but I really appreciated someone offering.  There's still some good eggs out there.  

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/25 10:43:24 (permalink)
Even though my boat/motor/trailer/gear combo is likely less than 1200 lbs. and the wheels/tires are 4.80" x 12", I put 6 ply tires on the trailer. Just for info for anyone reading this thread, here's a pretty good place to buy online for most anything trailer.

http://www.easternmarine.com/

Memory fails me now, 'cause that's where I got my tires and new LED lighting kit, but I believe they're in Delaware, which means no sales tax. (Or did that change)?
post edited by EMitch - 2017/06/25 10:44:26

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/25 22:31:53 (permalink)
this must be the year for it... I had a blowout at that 79 mercer exit back in april. 2 deer took out my truck for a few weeks at the beginning of june.  I also had a bearing disintegrate in Conneaut  OH a couple weeks back.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/26 08:47:06 (permalink)
Dang, not the best report...  On the bright side, at least it didn't happen on the Delaware Bay trip or cause an accident.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Sneaking up to Pymie... 2017/06/26 10:03:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/06/26 10:18:35
True dat Pork.  Imagine that blowout on the beltway.  

The fish part of the report... after doing everything I could think of for walleye (drifting, slip bobbers, even trolled hotNtots) we parked in some thick lettuce in 3 fow.  Caught half a hundred fish, mostly perch and mostly small enough that we could have used them as bait.  I killed about 4 in a row that swallowed my hook and they were floating 100 feet from the boat in one spot for some reason... until an Osprey came down for a snack.  He was like "thanks bro!" as he flew off with a perch.  Circle of life eh?  Oh, the bald eagle thought about it but I think he was waiting for us to kill him a salmon or something.  Did manage 8 of the biggest bluegills I've ever seen.  Fully bigger than your hand 'gills, 9" plus.  I boxed them just for the novelty of fillet_sized bluegills.  Added 3x 9" perch, so I have enough fillets for a meal.  And one channel cat that probably went 16" went back.  He was mouth hooked and I have more than enough catfish packed away.  

This is the main reason I don't branch out to other lakes.  Wilhelm, Shenango, etc.  Because short of lucking into the right pattern you just don't have a good way to put yourself on fish.  Or I might say that Pymie isn't a bad lake, I'm just bad at it.  
Jump to: